PDA

View Full Version : 1997 a6 aircon wont heat up

eddy1961
01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Recently purchased my 1997 A6 avant 140bhp diesel.
Thought heater was blowing cold when I picked her up, but suddenly kicked in and been working fine hot or cold for a few weeks.
Now although the fan speed gets faster the further I set the temp from ambient, the air does not get hotter.
Turning the comressor on and off makes no difference.
Any ideas anybody???

eddy1961
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
anyone?

kenney
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
you could have a fault code read,which might show a faulty positioning motor

eddy1961
16-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorted (sort of)
Found out a friend had had similar problems and traced it to stuck positioning motor.
Also reading on here it seems this could be a regular problem and was cured with 5 hours taking apart and putting back together.
Centre console removed, then heater removed.
Motor is in a little gearbox on the side of the heater (may just be accessable with heater in? mechanics?)
tested motor with 6V battery pack and found it sticking, so prised it apart, cleaned brushes and silicon greased the bearing shafts.
Heats and cools now.
BUT............
climate control seems to over heat car at high fan speed then cool again with high fan speed, then repeats cycle.
Ideas?

jubbly
01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Sorted (sort of)
Found out a friend had had similar problems and traced it to stuck positioning motor.
Also reading on here it seems this could be a regular problem and was cured with 5 hours taking apart and putting back together.
Centre console removed, then heater removed.
Motor is in a little gearbox on the side of the heater (may just be accessable with heater in? mechanics?)
tested motor with 6V battery pack and found it sticking, so prised it apart, cleaned brushes and silicon greased the bearing shafts.
Heats and cools now.
BUT............
climate control seems to over heat car at high fan speed then cool again with high fan speed, then repeats cycle.
Ideas?

There is also a flap in the engine bay that controls the heat from the heat exchanger, you may have the same issue on the motor controling that flap to.