PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged audi s5 cabriolet breezes in

stuart
01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/mainsite/a5sc.jpg

Open air A5 range flagship adopts supercharged V6 power to maximise efficiency without diluting driving pleasure

New S5 Cabriolet now open for order priced at £42,245 OTR – first deliveries in October
Replaces S4 Cabriolet and adopts supercharged V6 TFSI with 333PS and 440Nm from 2,500-4,850rpm in place of its naturally aspirated V8
Seven-speed S tronic twin-clutch transmission as standard
Evolution of quattro system with optional sport differential capable of varying torque not only between front and rear axles but also between each rear wheel
Optional Audi drive select adaptable dynamics system enables fine-tuning of throttle response, shock absorber settings and steering feel
S5 Cabriolet 0-62mph in 5.6 seconds, top speed limited to 155mph, combined mpg 29.1, CO2 224g/km
Lightweight acoustic soft-top opens in 15 seconds, closes in 17 seconds and reduces cabin noise to near fixed head levels

Cabriolet lovers hopeful of an Indian summer will welcome the new Audi S5 Cabriolet, which becomes available to order in the UK this month priced at £42,245 OTR and will touch down here in October.
The latest A5 range flagship is powered by the same all-new supercharged six-cylinder engine that enables the previously V8-powered S4 Saloon to deliver characteristic sports car pace with atypically high efficiency, and its influence is equally palpable in this latest application. Working exclusively in conjunction with the equally economy-focused 7-speed S tronic twin-clutch sports transmission, the new unit pares CO2 output back to 224g/km and boosts economy to up to 29.1mpg, yet also powers the S5 Cabriolet to 62mph in 5.6 seconds and on to a governed 155mph top speed. http://newspress.co.uk/a.php
In common with every other S quattro Series model, the outstanding performance is achieved with the help of quattro four-wheel-drive, in this instance in the form of the latest generation asymmetric system with 40/60 rear-biased torque split. The benefits of this configuration in terms of adjustability can be felt even more acutely if the optional sport differential, with its ability to not only transfer torque between the front and rear axles but also between the rear wheels, is specified as part of the Audi drive select adaptive dynamics system. When the steering wheel is turned or the car accelerated in a corner, the differential redirects power in a controlled manner to the outer rear wheel, literally pushing the car through the corner. The driver benefits from reduced steering effort and a feeling of even greater adjustability and control.
Specially tailored ‘S’ sports suspension gives the quattro system and sport differential optimum conditions in which to shine, and lowers the S5 Cabriolet body to within millimetres of its 19-inch 5 parallel spoke alloy wheels. Aluminium-look door mirrors, xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights, rear LED lamps, special ‘S’ front and rear styling treatments and black painted brake callipers bearing the S5 logo will also be distinguishing features.

Outstanding insulation from the elements

The A5 Cabriolet range flagship will of course also feature the most sophisticated version of the lightweight soft-top - the acoustic hood – which with additional insulating layers reduces external noise intrusion into the cabin to virtually the same level as the fixed head Coupe. On the hopefully numerous occasions when it isn’t required, the soft-top retracts in just 15 seconds into a compartment within the boot that automatically lowers to accommodate it. It also raises again in only 17 seconds, and can complete both operations at speeds of up to 31mph.
Roof up or down, the S5 Cabriolet makes light work of transporting up to four adults in comfort, and when the soft top is in place, a best-in-class luggage capacity of 380 litres also enables easy accommodation of luggage for four. In topless mode the roof stowage compartment only marginally reduces this impressive total to 320 litres. Thanks to the standard split/folding rear seat back a maximum capacity of 750 litres can be accessed if required.

Dudey Head
04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Does it replace all A4 cabriolets?

danclyon
20-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Does it replace all A4 cabriolets?

Not as far as I was aware - this is in the A5 family.

D.

kodkod.84
25-08-2009, 08:16 PM
It does replace the A4 cab- say good bye to that model

Think about it- how would you expect a B8 A4 cab to look? Like this perhaps?

I must say it is a very sexy looking car as was the B6/B7 A4 cab.

danclyon
25-08-2009, 09:29 PM
It does replace the A4 cab- say good bye to that model

Think about it- how would you expect a B8 A4 cab to look? Like this perhaps?

I must say it is a very sexy looking car as was the B6/B7 A4 cab.

Really? Wonder why they still have the A4 Cab out as far as end 2010 in the USA range then....? Quite confusing why they would take a mid-20k cab out of the range and replace it with a mid-to-high 30k cab - that totally stuffs their volume cab market surely?

Cheers,
Dan.

onemanparty
06-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Really? Wonder why they still have the A4 Cab out as far as end 2010 in the USA range then....? Quite confusing why they would take a mid-20k cab out of the range and replace it with a mid-to-high 30k cab - that totally stuffs their volume cab market surely?

Cheers,
Dan.

A3 Cab fills in the Bottom end with A5 replacing A4 Cab - I am sure they will sell bucket loads

danclyon
06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
A3 Cab fills in the Bottom end with A5 replacing A4 Cab - I am sure they will sell bucket loads

I think it's a horrid little machine and way overpriced.....one in the showroom last time I was there was £24k - 24k for an A3 - and it wasn't anything hugely special....

kodkod.84
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Agree it looks pants- Audi are not impressed with how poorly it has sold...

danclyon
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Agree it looks pants- Audi are not impressed with how poorly it has sold...

Hmmmm - perhaps they should just keep the A4 cab on then. I was shocked at how pokey the A3 was to be honest......although I wouldn't mind an A5 - but it is uber pennies.......stick with the A4 Avant for the time being I think :-)

Cheers,
Dan.