PDA

View Full Version : mk3 golf speedo sensor?

BugsyMalone666
13-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Was poodling along the motorway at 70mph today traveling back from one of the offices to where i work, just completed about 56miles on the trip when i look down to see the speedo is dead!

the rest of the dash works, revs, fuel, temp all the lights etc just the speedo has just stopped working for no reason.

its a mk3 1.8 engine with about 97k on it, is it likely to be the electronic speedo sensor on the gearbox or the speedo head itself?

if it is the speedo sensor, where do i get one and how much are they?

cheers :)

Anzee
14-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Its a sensor cuz mine went as well on a MK4 Golf 1.6 best bet is to buy from VW themselves as at least u know the part is working and off good quality...
When i last bought one it set me back £32 approx this is a couple of months ago i forgot what the actual name of the part is....

BugsyMalone666
14-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I will check before I order, apparently for my golf its £40! think i`ll have a go at fixing it if i can!

Anzee
14-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Ohh another thing to see is that when ur driving on a smooth road nothing will happen to the speedo its just when u go over a pot hole or over a speed bump that the speedo will drop.... hope that helps

speedeee2001
27-06-2009, 03:09 PM
The speedo on my Golf MK4 works fine until I press the accelerator, then it goes to "0", previously it used to be just a little erratic.
Changed the throttle body, that didn't help, put a meter on it and the codes are saying it's a grounding problem, problem is I have no idea where to start to find which wire isn't earthed properly...
Sounds like you have a similar problem (electrical - grounding), going over pot holes will definately interfer with a loose connection. Check connections before replacing the sensor (battery connections also).

BugsyMalone666
27-06-2009, 11:09 PM
no my problem was plainly the sensor, i took it out to have a look and see what was wrong and found that the gear had ground off the end, bought a new sensor, stuck it in and its working fine for over a year now.

the only minor thing I have noticed is that it wavers by 1mph or so up and down when cruising at 70-75 but to be honest unless your wathcing the speedo rather than driving it doesnt really matter!