PDA

View Full Version : Question 1993 1.6td oil in coolant - help!

Chopper666
30-07-2009, 04:04 PM
:confused:

hello all - first post here!

i have a K reg 1.6 TD estate L spec.

coolant expansion tank has oil in it, but no other symptoms of head gasket - no mayo on oil cap, dip stick is clear.

oil in the water is black, straight black oil, not creamy or discoloured or anything

have used block tester kit on the expansion tank and chemical did not change colour, no exhaust smoke of any colour at any time.

have had oil changed, with new oil filter and oil cooler. coolant system was also flushed and new coolant put in. however just checked it and still has oil in expansion tank.
I have a new expansion tank as current one stained by old oil, and will look to flush system again.

car seems to be running fine

any one any ideas? thanks in advance
:confused:

also fuel guage sender gone and temp guage sender gone - so i dont know if running hot.

any suggestions where to get these bits?

martin1810
31-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Have you changed the oil cooler which is a common place for oil/water contamination. If you have you may have to flush cooling system for ever before you get all the oil out.

Chopper666
31-07-2009, 09:01 PM
yes mates - changed oil cooler - think you have hit the nail on the head - oil that is still trapped in the system. have got a new expansion tank to fit, will flush coolant again and see what happens.