PDA

View Full Version : Power loss - Main Dealer?

pjbev
13-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi all, my first post

I've got an 02 130bhp sport estate which is suffering from the power loss problem, feels like the turbo isn't kicking in until 3000rpm and sometimes not at all.
Have previously suffered from the water getting into the car and the alarm going off of it's own accord. I think I've rectified this now, although not managed to get the rear passenger floor completely dry yet.
I cleaned the MAF sensor but this didn't make any difference and as I'm not too mechanically gifted I need to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Can anyone recommend a good independant VW garage in the Manchester/Rochdale area or would I be better taking it to a main dealer?
Cheers

MWhapshott
13-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Some useful points you made about the MAF. My wifes 2001 Passat estate 130 TDI AWX has been losing power since we bought it 3 years ago. I nearly gave up driving up the hills in Cornwall with stacks of revs and no power. I nearly left her for killing the car!
Fortunately I established a dramatic drop in air mass flow rate using VAG-COM dynamic graphing tool at full throttle, up hill in thrid gear. This should not be so and therefore I invested in £75 for a "reconditioned" MAF from VW. If you look at the thing located in a section of air trunking by the air filter it is clearly not a maintainable item. Rather than paying the full price of £220(!) for a "new one" I reasoned that VW have got rather annoyed with Bosch selling them duff MAF's and if you give them the defective old one thay can go back to Bosch with legit evidence. (Readers should note that the exchange includes the section of trunking not just the MAF).
Anyway, back to the hill, full throttle, thrid gear and oh my God! Couldn't manage it, not enough road room. New car on drive with the full 130, best she doesn't kill it again!
As for the water problem. Removing the battery cover, windscreen wipers and the plastic trim under the windscreen (bet you break it), the battery and finally the battery tray you'll find a drain that blocks up with leaf mulch from all the rubbish. I pulled out the rubber plug affair because I have to do this job regularly. Even more difficult is the other drain underneath the brake vacuum cylinder. You can't pull this one out because it incorporates a cable/hose or something I can only just feel with finger tips. Anyway, clean it all up and reinstall. I replaced the pollen filter and lubricated the plastic trim slot with silicone grease so that I do not break it every time I have to take it out.
Have fun!
Martin

Carps
13-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Regarding the MAF - from my local dealer (Drift Bridge) we have had two MAFs (different cars) and both were £55 inc VAT, with no exchange.
Odd that other dealers are more expensive and require an exchange unit...

MWhapshott
16-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Carps,
That is just typical of this dealer. I overheard a conversation between service and an '02 Golf customer while I was waiting for parts. The poor owner was happy to pay £900 for an MoT, a service, cam belt change and a air con "service" (probably just the pollen filter). Thankfully his MAF wasn't duff!
I'll look for a better deal next time!
Mart