PDA

View Full Version : VAG com Hull or surrounding area?

Laurie2212
30-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi

Just had a diagnosis of a faulty turbo from a main dealer, but it looks like they did not use VAG com - would feel better with a 'proper' code reading. Anyone in my area willing to swop their time/expertise for a few beers?

Thanks

Laurie

PS: No longe need a VAG com reading - the garage did use a kosher system and according to crasher the diagnosis seems correct - thanks anyway

orienteer
30-07-2009, 09:20 PM
How many miles has the car done?

Fully serviced?

Are the turbo bearings whistling?

Is the engine using excessive oil and evidence of white smoke?

Is the turbo failing to boost or falling into limp mode?

What have they said is wrong with it ??!

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71971

Sorry I'm nowhere near Hull :(

Regards, Ian

Laurie2212
30-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Hello Ian

Thanks for responding. It turns out (thanks to input from other forum members particulary crasher) that the diagnostic is right - they used the VW group system software rather than VAG com. My car had been serviced with fully synthetic oil every 8000 miles, has 125K on the clock and in the last 4 years (as far as the engine is concernec) has had a new air flow meter and temperature sender. There is no whistle from the turbo, no smoke of any description, but the turbo is overboosting and then the ECU? switches into limp mode - hence the loss of power. I am now comtemplating a trade in as the outlay and hassle for a 8 year old car is daunting. Even second hand, a turbo is going o be expensive!

Regards

Laurie

orienteer
30-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Thats a fair mileage !! I have a BMW 320d (although I prefer the Bug :p) and from forums the turbo on that may well fail at about 100k.

Don't despair because an option you have, as the turbo hasn't blown up just yet, is to remove the turbo and send to Turbo Technics.

It could be around £250 for a rebuild if you're lucky. I've also heard they are professional to deal with too :biglaugh:

Regards, Ian

Laurie2212
31-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Thats a fair mileage !! I have a BMW 320d (although I prefer the Bug :p) and from forums the turbo on that may well fail at about 100k.

Don't despair because an option you have, as the turbo hasn't blown up just yet, is to remove the turbo and send to Turbo Technics.

It could be around £250 for a rebuild if you're lucky. I've also heard they are professional to deal with too :biglaugh:

Regards, Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the turbo technics tip - spoke to a very nice and helpful chap about the overboosting and they told me that they had 18 units in for cleaning with similar faults - soot prevents the vanes from rotating from the maximum boost position and thus there is no variation in the boost pressure and subsequent overboosting. As Crasher suggested, my turbo needs cleaning or replacing and until it comes off, I cannot determine if there is any damage necessitating a new turbo. To clean they charge £250 with a replacement swop unit at £465 approx. Have to do some thinking - with 125K on the clock - what's next? Might also need a rad (advised of this last year at service). Thanks again :approve:

Laurie

orienteer
31-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm not familiar enough to know what access you have but the turbo, in essence, is a simple beast. If you need to clean it then there is an inlet and outlet to gain access to. If this can be done then why not have a go yourself ??

If you consider removing it bear in mind it's fed oil from the engine so don't let this drain out :o

There will also be a control connection (electrical/pneumatic[vacuum]).

To be honest I haven't seen forum conversation regarding cleaning the exhaust gas sooting off the vanes but it certainly makes sense. Not sure I'd be happy paying £250 for a clean though.

Regards, Ian

CDPDesign
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Try Autotechncia in Hull. Very competitive prices (£25 for a check over with VagCom)
Their address is as follows:

AutoTechnica
94 Calvert Lane
Hull
HU4 6BJ

Tel:
01482 353369

http://www.autotechnica.co.uk/index.php

Ask for Andy Humble. He is a fully trained VW/Audi master Technician.

Laurie2212
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Try Autotechncia in Hull. Very competitive prices (£25 for a check over with VagCom)
Their address is as follows:

AutoTechnica
94 Calvert Lane
Hull
HU4 6BJ

Tel:
01482 353369

http://www.autotechnica.co.uk/index.php

Ask for Andy Humble. He is a fully trained VW/Audi master Technician.

Thanks for the contact - I have passed the diagnostic stage now (having confirmed the diagnosis with Crasher) - turbo at Midland turbos for re-build. I will certainly use autotechnica in future - good price! Most of the time it's about having the contacts when in need!

Regards

Laurie