PDA

View Full Version : its keeping hold of the key!

Waister
29-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Anyone experienced the car not giving you the key back? I parked up yesterday and the key wouldn't pop out. Normally I'd just push the key to stop the engine and a gentle pull on the key it'll just pop out. But on this occasion it just wouldn't budge. I restarted the engine a few times and after 3-4 times the key finally came back out. Phew....

My car is a A4 B8 2.0 TDi S-line (started its life a year ago)

andyrp
29-07-2009, 04:59 PM
If you try and pull the key out too quickly it doesn't release. I had the same problem but i you wait a split second then it lets go.

Andy

avant_adam
29-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I had this hapopen to me and worked out that if I didn't have my foot on the brake it wouldn't release the key.

Similarly - if I get in the car and put the clutch down before inserting the key (as I tend to do through habit) pushing the key doesn't start the car, just turns on the electricsw. However if I put the key in first and then depress the clutch it starts with just one momentary push.

Anyone else find this - should I have read the manual?

cl0nd0n
30-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Mine seems to be doing this daily now! Sometimes takes 2-3 goes to release the key! Not impressed! Can anyone suggest a fix?

leehal
15-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I have this problem with my car too.

Anyone any updated comments?

kavithakrar
16-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Fix:

1. Go back in time
2. tick advanced key option
3. Never have this issue again!
:D

mkc
16-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I can see by the amount of posts you guys have made you might be pretty new to the forum and maybe new to your A4. Sorry if my assumption is incorrect.

This was reported by many people sometime ago and its all down to the speed in which you eject the key. If you do it to quickly, the ignition goes off but the key stays in. Try leaving it a little longer before you eject the key. Someone on here reported to Audi and they got a letter back explaining the process and time required. Its not faulty but it is annoying to go through the process to get it out if it fails the first time.

It happened on mine but it never happens now if I leave it a little longer.

Bristle Hound
16-10-2009, 11:25 PM
See http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70625

:beerchug:

ScottyUK
17-10-2009, 11:08 AM
This is kinda on topic but the reverse....although it may help the OP. ;)

I was playing about in the car last night and started prodding around. I had a look in the key hole and could see the two clips that hold the key in. I was fiddling with them and found it you push outwards (top one up and bottom one down) and then press the body, it goes down as though there was a key in it. It then stays down.

You can then put a key in, start the engine and the key comes out leaving the engine running! In fact it almost falls out. I tried all sorts of combinations and it seems to work perfectly. Engine start & stop. Ignition on and off. I didn't try locking the car up so not sure if it'd let me.

I then paniced a bit wondering if I'd broken it but after sticking my fingers in again, pushing apart and pushing the body down, it then popped back up and it was back to normal.

I guess this would solve the key being grabbed issue but I don't know what implications there'd be. e.g. whether the settings for radio, AC, service details, mileage etc would still be passed to the key or maybe something worse.

If you play and do then same then don't blame me if it goes wrong. I just thought I'd mention my experience ;)

avant_adam
17-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I complained to the dealer and they claimed to have given the car a software update to cure this issue. It hasn't made any difference and the car still retains the key on a daily basis. It is really infuriating...