PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension knock

Dave Avant
29-07-2009, 10:28 AM
My Avant has done 88k and its an SE so no sports suspension. I felt the ride was a little wallowy so deiceded to put some fresh dampers on. I fitted Bilstein OE dampers. The ride is much better, much more taut and toned! :D

But now I have a knock when the suspension drops down a hole or off a speed hump, don't notice it much over smaller humps, just seems to be if the suspension drops. I've checked it and all seems OK. It's on both sides and both side sounds the same.

The question I have is has anyone else changed the dampers and subsequently got a knock or a job where the damper/spring had to be removed. I'm thinking because of the heat and banging I gave the upper pinch bolt (stupid design) to get it out, it may have damaged the ball joints on the 2 upper arms?

Just that I don't want to go replacing all the suspension and wondered if anyone has had this and can say it is the upper arms. It was knock free before!

TullyAGS
31-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Dave,

Have you checked all the nuts are tight at the top mounts? also is it front or rear, or all of them knocking?

Dave Avant
31-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, all nuts are tight.

(its the front suspension knocking)

I'm guessing it must be the 2 top arms as I only disturbed them with alot of heat to get the pinch bolt out.

What to get it sorted, might replace them at some point as its a nice taut ride now but with an annoying knock over 'larger' bumps.