PDA

View Full Version : Remote Central Locking 1997 A6

Duffelcoat
29-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I just bought a 2.5tdi Quattro A6 estate, the car came with three keys, two normal ones that turn the locks etc and the skeleton key.

Just wondering if it may have had remote central locking at some point as the indicators flash when I lock and unlock the car with the key.

Is this normal for cars without remote central locking?

Is there anyway to tell without the fob whether it had this and maybe the key was lost and replaced with a standard manual key?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part!

Cheers in advance

mhobson
29-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Hello, I don't think that they came with remote central locking, when I bought mine it did have an alarm which made the indicators flash. I did have a remote central locking system fitted, bought a unit from ebay which my son (an auto electrician) fitted for me. This unit went under the back seat near the central locking compressor. It was well worth it. Regards, Michael

djl78
29-07-2009, 12:18 PM
There should be a sticker somewhere around the spare wheel which amongst the chassis number ets should also list the options the car came with (3 letter codes).
Try inputting these in the following site ....
http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx
regards
djl

Duffelcoat
29-07-2009, 01:44 PM
very useful, thanks for that.

I dont have remote central locking it appears! D'oh!

Cheers

lonky
29-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I fitted a remote central locking unit to my last A6, also added total closure control, which was great as on that model it was easy to wind the windows down by accident as you got out.

current A6 has keyfob as standard, though for total closure you have to hold the button down, which is not as good.

jubbly
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I just bought a 2.5tdi Quattro A6 estate, the car came with three keys, two normal ones that turn the locks etc and the skeleton key.

Just wondering if it may have had remote central locking at some point as the indicators flash when I lock and unlock the car with the key.

Is this normal for cars without remote central locking?

Is there anyway to tell without the fob whether it had this and maybe the key was lost and replaced with a standard manual key?

Maybe wishful thinking on my part!

Cheers in advance

My 1997 C4 A6 2.5 TDI Quattro has remote central locking and it was factory fitted, If you don't have access to vag com you would need to check out the part number of your central locking pump, which is under the back seat drivers side, hiden in a huge lump of foam.

The part number will tell you if it's a remote locking part or not.

Look at this from another forum it may help http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23098

Duffelcoat
04-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info, noted on your tag line that you have increased the power on your 140bhp quattro. How did you go about this and what are the results like? Is the torque better spread, I find I need to be a 3k revs to get a move on and then I am running out of revs too early, ie 4.5-5k revs... it

Did you do this to a higher mileage car? Mine has 150k on and I think the injectors need some work and it is quite smokey, so might be worth doing something at the same time.

Any cost info would be gratefully received too. Like the car a lot as it is especially the 4WD, but its a bit slow unless I am redlining it everywhere...

jubbly
04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi,

You will get a nice increase with a set of nozzles, my car has 257k miles so 100k more than yours but mine has been rebuilt.

I also have a chipped(remapped) ECU though they were a copy of a fellow forum memebers chips, which were brought from ebay.

These engines are pretty solid so I wouldn't worry abot 150k miles thats a low milage one :)

Mine runs out puff around the same mark though picks up from 2k revs not 3k.

Have a look here for nozzles http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21062&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0