PDA

View Full Version : DSG with paddles - Insurance.

asm51
28-07-2009, 02:37 PM
My Golf 1.4 GT 160 with DSG and paddles is to be delivered Thursday week. I just went to purchase GAP insurance but one of the application form questions has confused me.

The question was is it 'Manual', 'Automatic' or 'Semi-automatic'. I was going to choose 'Automatic' however as the DSG can be used in Semi-Auto mode I wonder if that is the right choice? If I choose incorrectly I am sure this will be all the Insurance company needs to avoid paying a claim.

Anybody any ideas?

pon
28-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Phone the insurance company or brokers and ask for advice.

Simples;)

asm51
28-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Phone the insurance company or brokers and ask for advice.
Good idea. I've Emailed them.

Foxtrot Oscar
28-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Interesting one this. I wouldn't have said that it was material enough for them to avoid a claim though.

My guess would be semi-auto. Not sure what it's got to do with paddles though?

Early-1800
28-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Remember with insurance companys;

Every eventuality covered except a claim!

Well done on trying to cover everything.

asm51
29-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Interesting one this. I wouldn't have said that it was material enough for them to avoid a claim though.

My guess would be semi-auto. Not sure what it's got to do with paddles though?

They replied to my Email and suggested I define it as the manufacturers do, which is Automatic. I just wondered if having the steering wheel gear paddles would imply I'm using it in Semi-Auto mode.

My experience with Insurance companies is that they will try to avoid a claim for any reason they can think of.

Foxtrot Oscar
29-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Paddles or not, you can still change gear semi-automatically by using the gearstick.

asm51
29-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Paddles or not, you can still change gear semi-automatically by using the gearstick.

True but I wondered if by specifically ordering a Semi-Auto option they may say that it is a Semi-Auto box because I am using it so.

ImCammers
29-07-2009, 11:42 AM
They replied to my Email and suggested I define it as the manufacturers do, which is Automatic. I just wondered if having the steering wheel gear paddles would imply I'm using it in Semi-Auto mode.

My experience with Insurance companies is that they will try to avoid a claim for any reason they can think of.

They will wiggle there way out of claims, but in all fairness you need to remember that insurance companies, are still a company! they still want to make money like any other!

I would do it over the phone, and CLEARLY define it as a 'Semi-Automatic' or whatever VW call it, and verify it several times, as the phone call will be recorded, and should *touch wood* it doesn't happen they dont have much to stand.

CharlesCourtney
29-07-2009, 12:14 PM

The DVLA, on the V5 claim that the DSG is a Semi-Automatic. (well they do on mine anyway)

the_crofter
29-07-2009, 01:01 PM
The DVLA, on the V5 claim that the DSG is a Semi-Automatic. (well they do on mine anyway)

Ditto