PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems?? (1997 p reg 1.8se)

Steveyd
28-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi All,

I have a strange problem with my 100 shape (C4?) A6 1.8se (ADR engine) - when changing gear in warm weather (& once engines upto temperature) my clutch seems to slip, however, it only does it in warm weather and its almost as if the clutch mechanism is sticking as the engine revs up as there's no drive for a few seconds, but then it seems to engage quite quickly- it takes longer depending on how many revs I'm using and the speed of the change (i.e. when overtaking).

If the clutch was going, I would expect it to be the same all weather and all the time with lots of slip and getting worse, but it was fine all last winter but its starting to annoy me now this "summer". I think its a hydraulic clutch on this, could I have an air lock - just need bleeding? Is this a common problem? I've had a few audi's but not experienced this before?

The car has 111K miles on it (which is nothing I know) and is in pretty good condition (not bad for a £600 ebay bargain - even the climate control works!).

cheers,

Steve

towcestervag
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
you could try to bleed put nipple under car at top of gearbox you can see from top on some models
does the clutch seem heavy? if so it could be the release bearing sleeve

Steveyd
29-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Thanks - could give that a go. The clutch pedal feels normal - there's no noise or any restriction to the movement nor does it feel heavy at all - the feel of the pedal also doesnt change when its upto the strange antics- but I'm guessing there must be a heavy return spring mounted on the pedal itself that would mask any problem with air in the clutch fluid? Will dig out the haynes later!

cheers,

Steve