PDA

View Full Version : Number Plate Lights

ali_a4_avant
27-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading all the bulbs in my a4 and have heard of people replacing the number plate lights with led bulbs. Has anyone does this? Can you recommend products/places to buy? ↲
I'm looking to do the same with the side repeaters, how do you get the lense covers off?

bez101
27-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm in the process of upgrading all the bulbs in my a4 and have heard of people replacing the number plate lights with led bulbs. Has anyone does this? Can you recommend products/places to buy? ↲
I'm looking to do the same with the side repeaters, how do you get the lense covers off?
what year is your car ?
the sides come off by pulling the full unit out from the end faceing the rear
do u have bulb blown warning on the dash ?
is so the number plate lights if u change for led will make it come on

benjie
27-07-2009, 08:52 PM
is so the number plate lights if u change for led will make it come on
Can you prevent that by fitting a resistor or something? (I'm sure I've read it somewhere)

bez101
27-07-2009, 09:13 PM
yep u can

ali_a4_avant
27-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Mine is 2003, I haven't had blown bulb in the 12 months i've owned the car so wouldn't know. Why the hell would they include such a minor light in the warning system for blown bulbs? I can understand the need for headlights and breaklight warnings....are the side repeaters included in this also?

ali_a4_avant
27-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Mine is 2003, I haven't had blown bulb in the 12 months i've owned the car so wouldn't know. Why the hell would they include such a minor light in the warning system for blown bulbs? I can understand the need for headlights and breaklight warnings....are the side repeaters included in this also?

Dave Gee
06-08-2009, 01:36 AM
I am in the process of trying to replace my number-plate light carrier on my Avant (when I can get the inside trim off the tailgate). I was considering fitting LED's either in place of or together with the original festoon bulbs. The wattage of light output needs to be determined by experiment and of course any deviation has to be compatible with the 'in-car' detectors that indicate the dash-board lamp failure mimic.
Also be aware that some deviations may invalidate the vehicle's compliance with the regulations in-force, and if not type approved or pre-disclosed, may also invalidate your motor insurance cover, if it could be proved that it was a contributing factor following an accident. For instance say an LED over-heated and caused the car to catch fire whilst driven on the motorway and other vehicles then became involved with the conflagration.....unlikely but these possibilities have occurred in the past....need I go on?

Some lights are mandatory and if they fail you are infringing lighting regulations if you use the vehicle on the roads in that state and you are liable to prosecution or at least embarrassment of being stopped by the monitors of the laws, so a failure indicator could save you a whole lot of hassle.
Even repeaters and minor indicator lights, if fitted as standard manufacturers' equipment has to be in good working order ... for MOT etc.
No blu lights... no green bulbs showing... only white lights to front and red to rear, any deviation could mean MOT failure or an inconvenient unscheduled 'stopper' if taken to the extremes of the law of the day.
HTH
Dave