PDA

View Full Version : TDi 170PS is actually 180bhp

jakerade
27-07-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&task=searchblue&action=AllModels&Itemid=135

(you need to select the A5 as link doesnt work properly)

Just got an email from superchips announcing bluefin for the CR170 (though have left the A4 off their website! Rolling road results are interesting

Plife
27-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd say it is not as clear cut as that. It all depends on so many factors, temp, humidity, tyre pressure and can vary day to day on the same dyno and between dynos. I think the important thing to note is the before and after on a car. Not every car out of the factory will produce the same bhp. Mine on the rollers at superchips was producing 228bhp as standard on a 211ps car.

All in all though you get some good improvement for a cheap price! Just don't look at the 3.0 figures :beerchug:

jakerade
27-07-2009, 05:50 PM
more to the point - dont look at what they do to a BMW 320d which starts with 177bhp (their rolling road figure), so 3 less than the 170CR starts with

I agree with you re rolling roads though its interesting to use as a base line

Ramon959
27-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Having had a little experience with Dyno's, the actual reading is only relative to other readings for the same car - and the science of trying to guess the flywheel HP figure when reading HP at the wheels is shrouded in mystery.

They essentially read the HP on the way up, and measure the drag on the way down and add them together.

The only power that matters is the power at the ground and I think less emphasis should be placed on this magical flywheel figure - for example, (lets use Audi's as that's what we all know) the auto+quattro version of the car will output less HP at the wheels that the fwd+manual, so stock for stock and modified to the same level (and ignoring the quattro off the line advantage) the latter will be faster with a higher Vmax.

The best chassis dyno is the DynaPack, made in NZ (like me), which bolts to the wheel hubs and takes out variations in wheel size and weight & tyre pressure, inflation, heat, rolling resistance and slippage factor.

And after all that and being here so long, I now only quote the highest/flyhweel figure in the pub over a few beers!!

:beerchug: