PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav on Nokia

Chappers
27-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Thinking of getting a Nokia 5800 which has GPRS. What would i need so i could use it like a TomTom :confused:

Thanks very much

Chappers

Ben
27-07-2009, 12:23 PM
you need gps and nokia maps plus a decent internen deal over gprs. I got the nokia e71 a couple of months ago and it has it all built in. I have unlimited (500mb) download per month for £20. The maps and gps is very good.

PeteK
27-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a Nokia 5800 and it has Nokia maps pre-installed as standard. You should have the facility to subscribe to voice guided navigation free for 90 days, after that you have to pay for voice guidance but can still use the navigation without it. I was not aware you have to pay for the GPRS data though if you use the system in offline mode? Surely it works just the same as a Tom Tom and they do not charge to pick up a GPRS signal. You can go online with WAP or wireless LAN which allows you to view satellite imagery similiar to Google earth, this you could be potentially charged for depending on your service provider.

aBoijj
30-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I prefer something that isn't subscription based personally. Have a look at Route66 - similar price to the subscription, compatible with symban s60 and by the looks of it you can transfer the license to your new phone when you replace it.

The Fingers
30-07-2009, 03:21 PM
I have now got a 5800 and am running Garmin (april 09 update) on it - it works a treat. Although with all maps and little car icons etc etc it is a 4gb install.

Nokia maps is fine and you can turn the internet based side of things off so no charges, however you have to pay after you free 90 days runs out.

I believe that you can get tomtom to work on them also, i had it on my N82 and although you had to point it at the GPS everytime you started it, it was just like me 910. Although i think the BINPDA patch for the gps / bluetooth created some form of link that was always activ as it ate battery charge for fun after installation.

The Garmin needs no gps / bluetooth patch so battery has no issues on the 5800.