PDA

View Full Version : Alhambra electrical gremlins on the loose!

emmbeedee
27-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi, just found this site & lots of useful info. on here.
Have a few electrical problems on my Alhambra, 1999, 110 BHP TDi, 69k.
1. ABS light on almost all the time - does go off occasionally, but soon comes on again.
2. Glow plug light flashes sometimes, then after stopping & starting usually disappears.
3. Air bag light is now on all the time.
None of these affect the driving of the vehicle in any way, but as my MOT is imminent I have to get them fixed pronto!
As all of these are related to the vehicle computer, I looked for this to see if I have a connector problem, but couldn't find it. Looked under both seats but both boxes empty. Drivers one was very well insulated for some reason, but not the passenger box.
Can anyone local to Redditch, Worcestershire, help with code reading?
I am now retired so quite willing to travel (& will supply beer money, of course;);):D:D:D
Thanks in anticipation,
Michael.

mscnoe
28-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi - I'm not "in the trade" or anything but I had a '96 Galaxy 90bhp before my current Alhambra - that had glow plug light coming on sometimes fault which turned out to be brake light switch - it only operated when pressed hard and when trickling along in a queue of traffic, if the EMU doesn't see brake activity but the vehicle speeds up and slows down repeatedly it flagged an error with the glow plug light. Cost me £60 diagnosis and £6 for the switch the first time - a few years later it started again (had the car 11 years) but was wise by then.

There used to be a flooding problem under the seats of early vehicles - leaves blocked drain holes either side of compartment below windscreen (sloshing sounds as go around corners) - which then drained into passenger footwell through the heating system and knackered the electronics that used to be down there - alarm and central locking box mainly. They did eventually get moved but I don't know where.

Hope that helps!

joe.fancis176
29-07-2009, 03:26 PM
glow plug light check brake lights could be as simple as incorrect bulb fitted to brake light switch. abs light fault could be worn sensor or dirty pick up at wheel get codes checked to confirm but could be linked to brake light switch signal. air bag light is not a mot failure but is most likely a clock spring on the back of steering wheel and is safe to drive they just dont go off if you crash

mscnoe
29-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi Joe - That is a good point - I had forgotten about the clock spring on the drivers airbag - that also happened on the Galaxy somewhere in the 140,000 miles. Need to be a bit careful if attempting to investigate that as with anything to do with airbags - in the end I had it done by my local garage and think it was about £60 for the parts.

emmbeedee
29-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for answers so far. I have checked brake lights - all 3 are working OK. I haven't had the fault codes read yet, as I was hoping someone on here with the VAG COM system could help out there. Too flippin wet to think about working on cars at the mo' anyway!:aargh4::aargh4:

diagman
05-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Hi

If you need a diagnostic check (free Diag for Forum Members only), I have all the equipment thats required plus many years in the Trade. If you can get to Telford email me to make arrangements.

Regards
Bill

emmbeedee
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your kind offer diagman. Unfortunately my MOT & Tax have now run out & I do not think my vehicle will pass its MOT with the ABS & Airbag warning lamps on. Will have to consider what to do now & will get in touch next week as we have visitors over this coming weekend.

emmbeedee
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Spoke to my MOT guy today & he thinks he might be able to switch the ABS light off & possibly read the code with a box he has, so I have booked it in for tomorrow afternoon.
Also repaired my LHS rear lamp, (the one on the body, not the hatch), as some kind soul had pushed a hole in it.:aargh4: Don't know if MOT guy will accept it, have to see what happens.
Visited about 6 local breakers this afternoon, looking for a rear lamp but no Alhambras in at all. Did find 2 Galaxys, but they have different colour upper piece to the rear lamp. Galaxy has clear upper section, Alhambra is clear but with a red tint. If I fit a Galaxy one, it will look different to the other side, but will it be an MOT failure? Anyway, when I got home decided to attempt a repair instead, doesn't look too bad, hardly noticeable actually.
After re-fitting the lamp checked all the lamps, all working OK, except that on checking the stop lamps found that they only worked about 50% of the time, so it looks like mscnoe above was correct about the flashing glow plug lamp.:approve: Havn't had that since but will replace the brake switch tomorrow. Is this a dealer only part? I presume it is fitted above the brake pedal, too late to check tonight.

mscnoe
12-08-2009, 12:17 AM
The brake light switch was £6 about 10 years back from Ford - recently purchased similar item from Seat for the Clutch pedal which was £12. The brake switch only operated when the pedal was pushed down hard - gentle braking did not operate it - which could be dangerous when you think about it! Hope you are flexible - or double jointed or know somebody who is!! Good luck with the MOT.

emmbeedee
13-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Well, I've got my MOT but it was costly:(
The brake switch cost £15.81 from a local factor & that was trade. Much worse when I got to the MOT station, as both rear springs were found to be broken:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:
The MOT guy was able to switch off the Airbag lamp, it was the driver's side causing the fault so I guess that's the "clock spring" I've read about on here. He also switched the ABS lamp off, but it came straight back on, this was the LH rear sensor. As I didn't really fancy changing the rear springs I just got them to do the whole lot. Springs cost £50.37 each + VAT, which I thought was a hell of a lot. The sensor was £27.60 +VAT, more reasonable. With 2 hours labour (£35 an hour +VAT), & the MOT itself, I ended up with a bill of £278.09 from the MOT station.
I changed the wiper blades prior to taking it in & noticed the wipers are working slowly, so I guess that will be next on the agenda.