PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an Audi A6 2.0TDI S-Line 140

jUsT2eXy
25-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi i'm new to Audi and this forum so bare with me lol.
I just put down a deposit for my car (waiting for log book to arrive) and then collect.

Just wanted to ask a few questions.

1) The car has 'SAT NAV' but I am not sure if it a full sat nav or just the bog standard one. The car has a colour MMI inferface (basic colours) not just RED and BLACK like the SE's sat nav so what type do I have? If it helps the CD/DVD loader for the Sat Nav is in the boot and not in the glove compartment next to the CD player like in other Audi's. Also is it a High MMI?

Please see the pictures attached for pic of Sat Nav etc

2) The car does not come with a spare wheel, just the usual tools and foam type repair stuff, is this ok?

3) The CD/DVD for the Sat Nav is not included. Where do I purchase a new one from and what am I looking for? Anyway to update the software?

Sorry about the newbie questions but as I said im new to Audi's.
I look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks.

jUsT2eXy
25-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Well after some digging around I answered parts of my questions:-

"MMI low/basic CD navigation IS located in the glove box next to a CD changer that would be fitted if you had MMI basic/low with navigation.

MMI high the DVD navigation unit is located in the boot and a 6 disk CD changer is located in the glovebox."

Now, I just need the rest cleared up hehe.

rharris
25-07-2009, 06:34 PM
As you've figured out, that's MMI High. Sat nav disk has to be brought from Audi (illegal sources as always on the net - read the warnings on this...) it will update the sat nav firmware.

Latest MMI firmware level is 5150 (which is different to sat nav firmware), it gives 3d mapping on the sat nav if you have a late enough disk (amongst other things) - you also need a later sat nav disk to get the TMC TO WORK. Again firmware gain be 'acquired' but again there are risks with this - and you will need vag-com to re-enable certain options (battery/instrument panel).

You might be able to get your dealer to do the MMI firmware update for free; I did as I wanted my blackberry to sync properly... I also got them to enable the graphics for the rear-parking sensor :)

jUsT2eXy
25-07-2009, 07:12 PM
As you've figured out, that's MMI High. Sat nav disk has to be brought from Audi (illegal sources as always on the net - read the warnings on this...) it will update the sat nav firmware.

Latest MMI firmware level is 5150 (which is different to sat nav firmware), it gives 3d mapping on the sat nav if you have a late enough disk (amongst other things) - you also need a later sat nav disk to get the TMC TO WORK. Again firmware gain be 'acquired' but again there are risks with this - and you will need vag-com to re-enable certain options (battery/instrument panel).

You might be able to get your dealer to do the MMI firmware update for free; I did as I wanted my blackberry to sync properly... I also got them to enable the graphics for the rear-parking sensor :)

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Just to be clear when I receive the car what steps should I take? (Baring in mind I have no DVD's / CD's for the Sat nav what so ever)
E.g.
1) Order ___ DVD from Audi..Number ___ etc etc

I would really appreciate if you could lay it out in the above format. I do not want to over complicate anything like putting firmware that is meant for other mmi systems on this one, I would just like the latest firmware for the mmi and latest map disc for my current audi a6

The rear park. graphics sound good any pics / more info available? Also how do i find out my firmware?

cheers mate

rharris
26-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Audi tend to stock the DVD; it's 215 GBP but covers all Europe. On first inserting, it might update the sat nav firmware.

The MMi version is on one of the car or setup screens somewhere - sorry can't remember of top of my head - you'll probably find it doing a search on this forum.

I haven't got a picture to hand, but the parking sensor display is something similar to this:

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/vw_rns_510_ops_front_rear.jpg

but rear only. My car is only listed as having audible rear parking sensor - but this option was enabled and worked :)

Oh; think my MMI update not only gave me 3d sat nav mapping; but also now displays altitude.

To break it down:

1) Buy Audi Sat nav cd from audi dealer (you might get a discount as you are buying a new car and could moan because there should be one in there....)
2) Ask Audi dealer nicely to bring up up-to-date with latest MMI; could use bluetooth connectivity issues with you phone as reason. Or you may have to pay

jUsT2eXy
27-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Audi tend to stock the DVD; it's 215 GBP but covers all Europe. On first inserting, it might update the sat nav firmware.

The MMi version is on one of the car or setup screens somewhere - sorry can't remember of top of my head - you'll probably find it doing a search on this forum.

I haven't got a picture to hand, but the parking sensor display is something similar to this:

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/vw_rns_510_ops_front_rear.jpg

but rear only. My car is only listed as having audible rear parking sensor - but this option was enabled and worked :)

Oh; think my MMI update not only gave me 3d sat nav mapping; but also now displays altitude.

To break it down:

1) Buy Audi Sat nav cd from audi dealer (you might get a discount as you are buying a new car and could moan because there should be one in there....)
2) Ask Audi dealer nicely to bring up up-to-date with latest MMI; could use bluetooth connectivity issues with you phone as reason. Or you may have to pay

Hey m8 thanks for clearing this up for me. Sat Nav DVD is a rip off..my TomTom does would do a better job...£200+ is a joke..was expecting £50max LOL...any work around for this?
About rhe 2nd point above..what if the car does not have bluetooth...it isn't standard is it? The car is a 2.0TDI S line 140 2006 ..So what else can I say to the dealer in order to try and get a free update? Can I say it is laggy / bugged etc? Any ideas?

Thank you so much. You have helped me a lot & the parking sensor graphics looks and sounds the business !

rharris
27-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah; I think its over priced as well - there aren't any legal alternatives - you could try a torrent search - but different results reported with that. flea-bay lists some disks as well - never sure if those are legit or not etc..

I've not read any other ways to get a MMI update; although as you just buying/brought this car you might be able to use the goodwill of the garage...

only thing you'll really get if you don't need a bluetooth update is the 3d mapping which is just a nice to have....

jUsT2eXy
27-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah; I think its over priced as well - there aren't any legal alternatives - you could try a torrent search - but different results reported with that. flea-bay lists some disks as well - never sure if those are legit or not etc..

I've not read any other ways to get a MMI update; although as you just buying/brought this car you might be able to use the goodwill of the garage...

only thing you'll really get if you don't need a bluetooth update is the 3d mapping which is just a nice to have....

Ok so I'm going to download Sat Nav DVD... (just 1 DVD right?) and insert it into the DVD reader/player in the boot when I get the car...

Also I phoned Audi and asked about MMI...they were cluelesss :confused::confused: but then someone phoned me back and said I would have to take your reg no. / chasis number and see if updates apply to your car. I asked if they were free as others had had it done for free...she laughed and said no only if there was a fault and you could prove it and under warranty... dOh...
Why should we have to pay for a software update when my Nokia firmware is always free...Dell updates are free, Windows updates free etc...
I really want these new features (3D mapping and rear parking sensor graphics)... :(

jUsT2eXy
31-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey. One newbie question I forgot to ask.

When I went to see the car and I pressed telephone or something like that I found my way to the phonebook and the previous owner had left contacts in there...does this mean that the car has BLUETOOTH? No cradle could be found...

Otherwise what would be the point of the phonebook without any telephone...unless they just wanted a reminder of numbers..but then again it would have been on there phone anyway...

So yeah does this mean the car must have bluetooth? It has MMI high / parking sensors / other options so is it safe to assume it would have bluetooth?

Many thanks

rharris
31-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Do a search for new devices from the phone and see if you find a device .... default passcode is 1234. I think the car is discoverable once the ignition is on for a period of time.

Richard

jUsT2eXy
31-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Do a search for new devices from the phone and see if you find a device .... default passcode is 1234. I think the car is discoverable once the ignition is on for a period of time.

Richard

Hi mate thanks for the reply. I just realised that the car has a "shark fin" and thus it must have phone prep (bluetooth) because the cars without do not have phone prep...I am waiting for the logbook so car is still at dealers so can't do a bluetooth search at the moment.

rharris
31-07-2009, 11:23 PM
sharkfin is also the gps antenna - so doesn't mean you have phone prep....does it have a cradle in the arm rest?

Richard

jUsT2eXy
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
sharkfin is also the gps antenna - so doesn't mean you have phone prep....does it have a cradle in the arm rest?

Richard

Yep thought that too but some cars that did not have GPS have the sharkfin and they have a phone connection of some sort...I looked at the pics on autotrader.co.uk ... but I am going to pick it up next week..log book arrived..just waiting for bankers draft...can't wait... and no it did not have a cradle anywhere

JeffTheGeek
02-08-2009, 09:55 AM
The sharkfin antenna is fitted for both gps and phone interface. Mine has the sharkfin and whilst it has the gps, it didnt have the phone kit (have since fitted a dension 500 and bt adaptor).

rharris
02-08-2009, 10:03 AM
If you don't have the arm-rest cradle; I believe that means you don't have any phone prep....

I have phone prep, but still added the Dension so I can plug a usb memory stick in for music - great buy and easy to fit :)

Richard

jUsT2eXy
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey thanks for the reply's. Got the car yesterday and played around with it. I tried to search for Bluetooth via my Nokia N97 but as you guys have said it does not have bluetooth which is a shame.

Here is a picture of the software versions..what can you guys tell from this...it's outdated right?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/xhostx/05082009039.jpg

Moreover were can I purchase the kits you are talking about (does it have bluetooth and allow a phone to be connected?) and what is the "Voice button" for on the steering wheel?

Many thanks

JeffTheGeek
05-08-2009, 04:31 PM
The voice button is for the speech recognition module. If you press it and the DIS says button not used, then you dont have the module fitted and the button is non functioning.

I bought my Dension 500 from ebay for a little over £300 - brand new. I couldnt find it cheaper any where else (even 2nd hand ones where more expensive!). I think they are still selling them, and are a UK Audi dealer. I bought the BTA1500 from somewhere else (still on line and brand new) for £65. Its perhaps not as good as the Audi factory option (few probs with hanging up calls, but thats probably just my phone), but audi themselves sold the densions as an after factory option, and its a lot cheaper and easier to install than the factory module.

jUsT2eXy
05-08-2009, 04:40 PM
The voice button is for the speech recognition module. If you press it and the DIS says button not used, then you dont have the module fitted and the button is non functioning.

I bought my Dension 500 from ebay for a little over £300 - brand new. I couldnt find it cheaper any where else (even 2nd hand ones where more expensive!). I think they are still selling them, and are a UK Audi dealer. I bought the BTA1500 from somewhere else (still on line and brand new) for £65. Its perhaps not as good as the Audi factory option (few probs with hanging up calls, but thats probably just my phone), but audi themselves sold the densions as an after factory option, and its a lot cheaper and easier to install than the factory module.

Hey. I pressed and held down the button but nothing appeared...what could this mean? May be I was not on the right menu or something? The Dension seems expensive..I have a FM transmitter for ym ipod and N97 and they work very well so I may not purchase the Dension at the moment. But Bluetooth connectivity for the phone (handfree) is essential. Is there anyway I can just purchase a bluetooth option without changing the Audi radio etc or without purchasing an aftermarket kit like the Dension?

Thanks.

JeffTheGeek
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Have you got the colour DIS in between the speedo and rev meter? If not then I dont know if anything shows up there. Assuming you have, then its the same as mine and a brief press on mine brings up "Button not in use". I cant remember what a long press does (although I do know it doesnt do anything audible etc).

You can connect other handsfree kits to the system, but they wont appear on the screen, and will require a specific connection kit. I had one fitted to mine with an old Nokia kit fitted when I bought it and to be honest it looked like it was more trouble than it was worth to remove it (as it goes all the way from the front of the car to the back). I'm guessing that it would probably cost not far short of £300 to get one fitted (BT kit, Cabling Kit and fitting).

I beleive that if you have the upgraded amp (and the name of it escapes me at the moment), then it is next to impossible to this, but I may be wrong.

jUsT2eXy
05-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Have you got the colour DIS in between the speedo and rev meter? If not then I dont know if anything shows up there. Assuming you have, then its the same as mine and a brief press on mine brings up "Button not in use". I cant remember what a long press does (although I do know it doesnt do anything audible etc).

You can connect other handsfree kits to the system, but they wont appear on the screen, and will require a specific connection kit. I had one fitted to mine with an old Nokia kit fitted when I bought it and to be honest it looked like it was more trouble than it was worth to remove it (as it goes all the way from the front of the car to the back). I'm guessing that it would probably cost not far short of £300 to get one fitted (BT kit, Cabling Kit and fitting).

I beleive that if you have the upgraded amp (and the name of it escapes me at the moment), then it is next to impossible to this, but I may be wrong.

Hey yeah I have got the DIS in between Speedo & Rev but nothing comes up...

What software version do you have? Is it newer than mine? See pic:-

Oh and were do I get the CD car manual from? The dealer did not have the car manual for my car so I gotta go and pick one up free of charge from Audi...would they have this CD?
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i140/xhostx/05082009039.jpg

JeffTheGeek
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi,

I cant remember which part is the version number (the 21.2.0 - making 2120 or the 0534), but I have 5170 (the latest version).

rharris
05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
2120 :)

jUsT2eXy
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
2120 :)

Yep it is ancient. I am going to update it asap. Would you be able to list every feature that will stop working / that I won't find in the MMI menu anymore and there VAGCOM codes?

This would enable me to tell someone who has a VAGCOM exactly what needs to be reactivated and they can work there magic.

Also how do you get the parking sensor graphics enabled after update?

Many thanks.

This is all really complicated for me lol (VAGCOM bit)

rharris
06-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Audi did my update, but I did lose battery and instrument cluster (both of which they put back); I also had them enable the parking graphic - sorry can't help with how to do that in VAG--COM. You will need revision C of the parking sensor hardware for it to work.

Also, if you have a late enough version of the sat nav, you would get 3d mapping and altitude info....

Richard

jUsT2eXy
06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Audi did my update, but I did lose battery and instrument cluster (both of which they put back); I also had them enable the parking graphic - sorry can't help with how to do that in VAG--COM. You will need revision C of the parking sensor hardware for it to work.

Also, if you have a late enough version of the sat nav, you would get 3d mapping and altitude info....

Richard

I have got the 2009 DVD working...altitude shows...3D I am not to sure about...

How much did Audi charge for the update? (Total costs inc labour),,
My car is going in for servicing soon so if I tell them to update it..would they do this and not charge me...also the power in 1st gear isn't much so I need to get them to flash ECU...any idea of costs involved?

Thanks

rharris
06-08-2009, 11:40 PM
You need the later firmware for 3d maps; if you upgrade to 5150 you'll get them (that's what they updated me to).

Due to fuel gauge issues (see my other thread), they upgraded the firmware as first pass fix at that (firmware apparently has some fuel gauges changes) and I didn't pay for it as I hadn't had the car long. But when I asked prior it was going to be £112; don't know about the gearbox ecu - mines a tiptronic.

jUsT2eXy
07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
You need the later firmware for 3d maps; if you upgrade to 5150 you'll get them (that's what they updated me to).

Due to fuel gauge issues (see my other thread), they upgraded the firmware as first pass fix at that (firmware apparently has some fuel gauges changes) and I didn't pay for it as I hadn't had the car long. But when I asked prior it was going to be £112; don't know about the gearbox ecu - mines a tiptronic.

Ahh I see. I'll try and get them to do it..failing that I'll do it myself..

The dam voice button don't work...well it does not do anything when pressed :(

rharris
07-08-2009, 12:08 AM
voice button requires some hardware; i get a message on the DIS telling me function is not present.

So you have a vag-com?

jUsT2eXy
07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
voice button requires some hardware; i get a message on the DIS telling me function is not present.

So you have a vag-com?

Yeah I remember being told that but it's weird how nothing even comes up when it is pressed once or held down... hmmm

No I don't have VagCom unfortunately but I did get intouch with someone on the forum who lives locally to me and he said he did not mind activating the missing options but he wanted the vagcom codes etc for the things that needed to be done..saves time and hassle.