PDA

View Full Version : OBDII and the PASSAT 1.8 engine

jfdale
12-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Hello folks

New member here with a poser of a problem for you, Any help would be appreciated.

Car is a 1998 20V 1.8 Sport Turbo (Passat) unmodified
Using VAG.com through the USB and OBDII cable from ebay.

VAg.com runs OK and can talk to the Comfort system, dash, climatronic and autogear box. Can clear faults and everything on theses controllers

However, it will not connect to the engine or the ABS, Tried everything
even checked the K line connection to these units.

Now getting really annoyed. Anyone had similar problems.

jamie211983
12-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Have you registered (activated it???????????

dannymccluskey
24-04-2007, 07:00 PM
I have the same problem but nothing seems to work... I don't think my OBD II format works or can connect? My ABS light is on

stevegrass777
25-04-2007, 09:16 AM
well you don't get full use with the free version of vag com I think you cant clear ABS Fault codes but i thought you could clear engine code's .
I would get back to your ebay seller and look what the wording said on your lead as it might not be compatible with certain ecm's....................

dannymccluskey
25-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Yes, I think my cable may be incompatible - but nowhere do I see them saying on the adverts that some ecm's may be incompatible.
I bought the car on ebay for 20 quid a few months ago from a company with a website www.talktomycar.com.uk (http://www.talktomycar.com.uk) but never got round to using it till now... The website is no longer operable and I've received no reply from them concerning the issue...
I wonder how one might identify the ecm to find out which type of cable it might be compatible with?
Cheers,
Danny

bora(ing) nick
25-04-2007, 01:25 PM
I bought the car on ebay for 20 quid a few months ago.....

Cheap car, lol

dannymccluskey
30-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Hey hey... unfortunately it was the cable I bought for 20 quid... the car was another 1.5 grand.
I managed to track down a phone number for the talktomycar cable dealer who solved the problem. Somehow with the usb to serial cable is installed and runs through the software as coming from COM Port 3 or 4 or whatever, but in the device manager (LPT COM PORT) the device is listed as going through another COM Port. Through "properties" and "advanced" the device port has to be matched with that of the software (in my case the software was saying the device was recognised in COM Port 3, whereas is was listed as COM Port 4 in the device manger, a quick change - it said are you sure this com port is being used for another device, which can be ignored - and the problem was solved...).
20 quid for a 1998 passat... that would be nice... just shelled out 400 to get it through the MOT, 250 for the service, 1500 for the car - still not bad I'd say! Maybe cheapest in Europe - second hand cars that is - there's a big market for 2nd hand cars in Europe as they can be driven to Eastern Europe and sold off there with low demands for MOTs and low cost labour costs at garages...
Cheers
Danny