PDA

View Full Version : Question Thinking of getting a new A4

MarkBS
24-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I wonder if anyone can shed some light/experience...I currently have a 2.0TDi B7 and am thinking of getting a new TDI, there are two at the local dealership...a 143BHP and a 120BHP - both SLine - is there much of a difference in power, oh I am no speed junkie but don't want something that is too under-powered. Oh, the 120BHP model is 2-3k cheaper!
Any advise please.
Many thanks
Mark

walkaboutmx5
24-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Have a look at the parkers website, it gives you all the info you need. The new engines seem to be very frugal I would check to see if they are the lastest model

onemanparty
24-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Do not forget there is a 136PS 2.0TDI as well but not available as S-line

Personnel if you are not fussed by the horse power 120PS will be fine.

God it was not long ago I remember driving A4 B5 1.9TDI 90bhp and that did the job

mkc
25-07-2009, 08:12 AM
120 should be fine and in all honestly its what I wish I went for. At the time of order my budget allowed the 160 petrol 1.8 but I wish I had the avant but the budget would only allow the 120 in Avant form but lease company at work couldnt source one or the actual cost so went for 160.

160 is great once you get the turbo working and feel pretty quick but for the miles I do and the short journeys I make the 120 would have been fine.

I think you should do the obvious thing and think how, where and when you drive and take a drive in both. I cant think there is much in it to be honest. Save the money and get some extras to make it special for you., on the outside the car will look exactly the same as all others anyway.

MarkBS
27-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone for your detailed responses, the 143BHP model is a 58 plate and the 120BHP model is an 09 plate. I'll try and test drive both in the next few weeks.
Mark

sr-performance
27-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Mark,
I would buy the cheaper model and if you do require a bit more power/torque/better economy have it remapped then you would have more "go" than the more expensive model... and saving 2k helps...
let me know if you require any info or advice... :beerchug:

MarkBS
04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi all, just an update on a test drive (or 2) from the dealership...
Had the opportunity to test drive back to back a 120BHP S-Line A4 and then a 170 Quattro model...from one end of the spectrum to the other!

I must say that going from a B7 to a B8 the difference in engine noise was really suprising - it was so quiet I had to loog at the rev counter to see if it was still running!
The FWD 120BHP model was about same performance as my B7 140BHP model and handling was good, servotronic steering (apparently) made it feather light at los speed and heavier at motorway speeds. Low/Mid-range torque was good and only slightly down on the B7 which I could easily live with.
The 170BHP Quattro was just as quiet but on booting it noticed a faint high pitched wine...I guess this is 'normal' for one of these. The car felt slightly taughter on normal roads but roundabouts and tight bends were where the quattro really excelled - especially as I had never driven one before. I can only say that it felt like I was driving on rails, it just gripped and gripped. Salesman said take 2 turns round the roundabout - I never thought a bend/roundabout could be taken that fast!

In the end I took the plunge and have gone for a trade in on by B7 for the 120BHP B8 S-Line in Ibis White. Think it might be an 'exec' model as it has cruise control as well.

I would like to thank everyone for their guidance and honest opinions/advise - it certainly helped!
Hope to pick up later this month
Mark

Hippogriff
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I must say that going from a B7 to a B8 the difference in engine noise was really suprising - it was so quiet I had to loog at the rev counter to see if it was still running!

Fully concur on this. Last A4 I had was a B6 and I got my B8 two days ago. I still am amazed at how quiet this diesel is - 2.0 143ps. B6 sounded like a tractor... this I can hardly hear from the inside. I did wonder whether it was excellent sound proofing... haven't listened to it from the outside. However, still top marks in my opinion.

pitch3110
04-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Sounds good matey and good purchase.

I too am going from B7 2.0TDI S-Line to B8 2.0TDI although 143.

I agree totally the engines are miles apart.

markp306
04-09-2009, 01:46 PM
I too am going from B7 2.0TDI S-Line to B8 2.0TDI although 143.

I agree totally the engines are miles apart.

You'll find it's more than just the engine thats miles apart. :biglaugh:
Are you sticking with S-Line spec?

pitch3110
04-09-2009, 02:09 PM
You'll find it's more than just the engine thats miles apart. :biglaugh:
Are you sticking with S-Line spec?

Yes but a move from a long affair with black to Lava Grey:aargh4:

kodkod.84
04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
It's almost black- but better :)

pitch3110
04-09-2009, 02:22 PM
It's almost black- but better :)

the demo I took out was Lava with 19"s and even though it was really mucky it looked the muts.

IMO you have to go along way to beat a black car after a proper clean, but it soon turns.

My '06 plate B7 still turns heads and I think the S4 mirror covers really sets off:D dark cars.

MarkBS
23-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Well I have now picked up my B8 2.0TDi 120BHP A4 - Ibis white S-Line Exec spec c/w B&O sound system, AMI (cables are being given - on order), had 6 months tax on it as well as it was a demo car until 3rd Sept!
There are a couple of minor scuffs and scratches/stone chips but this was spotted before I drove it away so that will be fixed soon...annoying but I did expect there would be some marks on it.
It is much quieter than the old B7 and about the same power - seems that the gearing on the new model is taller - has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks again to everyone for their advice
Mark

pitch3110
23-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Really good to hear its home and that nic's will be picked up.

We have lived with the 140 PD engine's massive toque shove so I guess these B8's will be quite a bit different and will take some getting use to.

But I guess it is quite a bit different all round