PDA

View Full Version : 130 tdi hessitation

crazyknowledge
12-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Hi all,

New to forum as have only a couple of weeks ago brought a 2001 passat 130 tdi, it has a slight problem, when accelerating in any gear / speed there is a slight hessitation before the power kicks in, when power does come in it revs fine and seems to have plenty of power.

It seems to only happen from standstill in first, in each gear once you have just changed and re applied the throttle or when you have stopped accelerating in any gear then re apply the throttle, just a slight hessitation / judder then pulls fine.

Took to my local independant garage plugged into computer and said problem with the air mass sensor, we looked in the service history and it had been replaced 2 1/2 years ago at main dealer, by garage reset the box took the car for a drive came back re plugged to computer and no problem was showing.

Could the sensor be faulty again after 2 1/2 years or could it me soming else ?

Any ideas / help appreciated.

Andrew

bertie
12-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Does the problem still occur? Or did the reset cure it?

Could be that the fault wasn't cleared when the replacement was fitted.

I don't know enough to say if the fault code showing would affect the engine management even though the MAF was replaced.

Bertie

crazyknowledge
12-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi,
When the box was reset it made no difference to the running, but when re-checked after a drive up the road the code no longer appeared, so my mechanic pressumed VW had just forgot to reset the box when they changed the Mass Air Sensor a couple of years ago, it has been serviced at an independant twice since then and there is no mention in the service history of the problem since.
Cheers,
Andrew

VEEDUBYA
13-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Andrew,
I am now experiencing the same problem with my 2001 PASSAT 130TDI.
I have just got it back from the garage, who had it in to cure my overboost/limp mode issue. Apparently they have had to reprogramme the ECU to factory settings due to a dodgy remap the previous owner must have had done. So now its back to normal in resrect that it no longer goes into limp mode but now I have this hesitation/jerky acceleration.
This occurs in 1st gear when pulling slowly into a junction or moving slowly in traffic, it also happens when changing into 2nd and 3rd. If you apply more pressure to the accelerator the car pulls beautifully and there's no hesitation.
The garage have told me this is normal and Im just too used to the way it ran with the remap.
Is this correct as I have never driven a standard diesel passat??
(I assumed I was driving a standard one but obviously not)
They also changed the air charge temp sensor which I was previously informed by a VW foreman would cause the hesitation issue even if only slightly faulty.
This could solve your issue.
Dan:D

crazyknowledge
14-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi,
I have the problem in all gears, is the sensor they changed on yours the MAF one that seems quite common ?

My car has been like this since I brought it a few weeks ago, I had a 307 hdi before although alot slower it was much smoother.

Andrew

guyg
14-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Is this correct as I have never driven a standard diesel passat??

I have a 130PD and it drives smoothly. If you plant your foot heavily in 1st or 2nd, there is a strong surge once the boost is on, but it isn't what I would call jerky or hesitant, so I think you both have some other problem.

Chatting to a VW tech a while back, he recons the MAF sensors on these are only good for 60-70,000 miles and that they don't always cause error codes when they are just beginning to fail.

Cheers

Guy

VEEDUBYA
14-04-2007, 06:40 PM
No mine was a temperature sensor they changed. I did change the MAF when I originally had the power loss fault so I doubt it is that.
Its happens around town or if Im in a 30mph zone following another car. If I drive it a bit harder through the gears its fine, only when Im holding off or crawling along.

crazyknowledge
16-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Hi,
can you give me more details about the temp sensor ? Part number or where located.
Cheers,
Andrew