PDA

View Full Version : 2.0TDI 140 vs 1.4 TSI 160 Comparison

JoseSpring
23-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I've had my car, a Golf GT 1.4TSI 160 now for almost 6k miles.
This week I was up in Scotland with work and hired a Golf GT 2.0 TDI 140 for 4 days. All this seems a wasted opportunity unless I briefly offer my views on the pro's and con's of each model. So, here goes:-
Noise
The diesel is much quieter than diesels of old. But it is still a diesel.
Whereas you really can forget that the petrol is on when its idling, you'd have to be a bit mutton to not realise the diesel is turning over.
Things are better under acceleration, but the petrol still wins in terms of refinement.
Speed
The diesel wasn't the slouch I expected, though it was definately not as spritely as the petrol. My previous car was a 1.9TDI Passat, and the 2.0TDI wiped the floor with it. But when I picked my own car up from LHR this afternoon my face filled from ear to ear with a grin as I remembered what I'd left behind.
Economy
Here we get to the diesels's forte. Assuming a similar level of accuracy between the 2 trip computers, the diesel was returning an average 45mpg compared to the petrol's 35mpg, saving almost a 3rd. Impressive.

So, in summary:-
Petrol
Faster and more refined. Uses more fuel.
Diesel
Slightly slower and still a diesel at the end of the day, albeit as quiet as diesels come. Impressive fuel economy

I guess this is kind of what I should have expected!

cj57
23-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I've a GT 2.0 TDI 140 and whilst you can hear it's a diesel from the outside it's quiet as a mouse on the inside - so much so that if I'm parked up for a while I occasionally have to check the rev counter or blip the accelerator to check its on. Not quite as fast as my 1.9 Astra 150, but now I'm used to the slightly different gear ratios I do find it a fun drive (currently averaging just over 50 mpg even with a heavy right foot).

JoseSpring
23-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd not massively disagree. But I'd simply say that in comparison it's not as amazingly quiet as the petrol - parked up in a quiet street, with the aircon and radio off and I can still forget that the engine is on sometimes. Not that I often lurk around in quiet streets. ;-)

iallen1@btinter
23-07-2009, 09:28 PM
i have this debate at work, ive got the 1.4tsi 122bhp, and last week when fetching my sis from the airport the trip was showing 55.1 to the gallon, i only do 6000 a year so cant justify a diesel, mine is only 0.2 of a second slower to 60mph than the 140 diesel, its a matter of personal opinion

cj57
24-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Fair comment, and perhaps my mouse is a big one with boots, but still quiet for a diesel. 55mpg is a cracking return for a 1.4 122 bhp, I hope mine gives me a bit more as it runs in, but worked on being happy at around 50 mpg. 0-60 doesn't both me that much either, its being able to get past things at between about 35 - 50, and I guess both do that nicely. My Astra would go virtually everywhere in 5th from day 1, but can't get the Golf to do the same.

iallen1@btinter
24-07-2009, 10:40 PM
mine picks up best in 3rd gear, floor it and it takes off like a rocket