PDA

View Full Version : door on 3dr golf

ian.i
11-04-2007, 11:39 PM
hopefully someone can help the doors on my golf have dropped due too the weight of them is there any handy way of adjusting them or is it a back to the dealers job:confused:

Eshrules
12-04-2007, 12:30 AM
hopefully someone can help the doors on my golf have dropped due too the weight of them is there any handy way of adjusting them or is it a back to the dealers job:confused:

hi , i've found this, may be of some use to you (taken directly from http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/425656/ShowPost.aspx)

MkIV Door drop You'll need the appropriate Spline bit that fits the hinge bolts (to fit a 1/2" or 3/8" drive ratchet), an extension bit at least 6" long (again 1/2" or 3/8" drive to suit the ratchet you're using) and an extra pair of hands! With the door open you should be able to reach the bolt furthest forward (TIP: get some 2" masking tape and mask the door edge and wing edge where you'll be working to prevent damage) you'll need to use the ratchet with extension bar insert it between the wing and front edge of the door and loosen the bolt. Now you'll need to release the kick panel trim inside the car (by the go faster pedal!) this requires you to unscrew the accelerator stop (the plastic lug under the accelerator pedal) now with a little pulling and manouvering you'll be able to get the trim off (WARNING: be aware that the airbag control box is behind this panel don't fiddle with the wires !) you should be able to get at the bolts now, a torch can be handy here! Loosen the remaining bolts but beware i'd leave one slightly nipped up just so the door doesn't drop dramatically! now it's just a case of adjusting it untill the door fits correctly- don't expect to get it right first time though ! As soon as you've got it sussed tighten all the bolts and refit trim etc !

ian.i
14-04-2007, 12:23 AM
thanks will give it a go in morning if hangover not to bad was told by a volkswagon technician to lodge a 15mm socket in door hinge and close the door thought this was a rash option .

thanks for your help :beerchug:

redmax90
06-08-2009, 06:08 PM
ian, did you ever get your door fixed? i have the same problem with my car. its dropped on the rear door and looks bad. Makes it awkward to close and open too. Any joy fixing yours??
Chris

ian.i
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM
i think i put a block of wood under the door and then used a jack to lift it up. Sounds rough but was a quick fix for selling it on. Sold that piece of scrap 2 years ago.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Crasher
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Believe it or not, that is the only correct way to deal with door drop apart from a special tool by Klann which does not work too well on the Golf 4.

ian.i
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
when i was doing it it just seemed a bit industrial. always wondered what would happen if i had went to far