PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures and tyre pressure warning light

Foxtrot Oscar
23-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi all

Forgive the stupid questions, I am at work and unable to do anything about it until I finish, but there are some questions I have that will help me deal with the issue later.

Driving back to work after lunch today, the low tyre pressure warning light came on. I didn't have time to check pressures before I had to be back in work but my questions are:

- what PSi should the tyres be inflated to (GT on 17" [Bridgestone Potentzas])
- how does the warning light work i.e. does it go on pressure, wheel speed, etc.?
- once I've checked the tyres and reinflated do I need to do anything like re-setting the sensors as per the MkV and if so, how is this done?

Blimmin hope I haven't already got a puncture in my brand new tyres!!

Many thanks.

kite
23-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Rtfm

cs2009
23-07-2009, 02:30 PM
my questions are:

- what PSi should the tyres be inflated to (GT on 17" [Bridgestone Potentzas])
- how does the warning light work i.e. does it go on pressure, wheel speed, etc.?
- once I've checked the tyres and reinflated do I need to do anything like re-setting the sensors as per the MkV and if so, how is this done?

It should say what pressures you need on the inside of the fuel flap.

Mine says 2.3 bar (33psi) all round for 2 occupants, but that is for 18" wheels on GT TSI.

Don't know about the other queries.

Chris.

Foxtrot Oscar
23-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Rtfm

I'd love to, but I'm at work and the manual is at home. I want to get it sorted before driving home.

There are also some general questions that obviously won't be in the manual such as how the sensors actually work :confused:.

Chris, thanks.

kite
23-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Once the tyres are at the pressure you want there should be a setting on the menu.
The sensors register a drop in the set pressure giving you a warning.

Foxtrot Oscar
23-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I checked the tyre pressures and they're 2.3 bar / 33.5 PSI all the way round, which is correct, so it seems that the sensor has triggered a false alarm.

Only thing is, the manual describes a button in front of the gearstick that allows the set / reset of the sensor system, only...I don't actally have that button, only the ESP!! So how the hell do I reset it I wonder?? Is my GT missing a button that should be there? There is nothing related to tyre pressure in the highline menu in my car.

HHGTTG
23-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I checked the tyre pressures and they're 2.3 bar / 33.5 PSI all the way round, which is correct, so it seems that the sensor has triggered a false alarm.

Only thing is, the manual describes a button in front of the gearstick that allows the set / reset of the sensor system, only...I don't actally have that button, only the ESP!! So how the hell do I reset it I wonder?? Is my GT missing a button that should be there? There is nothing related to tyre pressure in the highline menu in my car.
Hmmmm. Perhaps you haven't got what you thought you are supposed to have had, then?

david25
24-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Check glove box!

Nightowl4933
24-07-2009, 07:30 PM

It's funny you should say that...

I went in to the dealer today to buy some blanks for the switch row in front of the gear lever, and according to them (and they looked up my car on their database) I'm supposed to have a reset switch there, as well, only I haven't!

Not sure what's going on there!

Pete

Foxtrot Oscar
25-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Check glove box!

^ Listen to this man!! Thanks David (again).

Is indeed in glovebox, see my main thread questioning it http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=75440.

No mention of this in the manual so kite's suggestion of 'Rtfm' was even more useless than it first appeared ;).

Have now held the switch and the warning light has gone. How long for I don't know as the tyres and tyre pressures were perfect. Maybe there's a balancing / tracking issue?

netherfield
26-07-2009, 07:14 PM
The tyre pressure sensor works by using info from ABS,so if a tyre is going flat that wheel will effectively have got smaller and will revolve quicker which the ABS picks up and sends a message to the tyre pressure monitor.

It's possible that a wheel on loose gravel or ice which spins could trigger a false message.