PDA

View Full Version : Bad News Im Afraid

jamie211983
11-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Today i got some new lifters for on my 110 afn passat and went to fit them pretty straight forward well not for me. anyway started undoing the cam holders then i thought f**k it im not going any further just incase i mucked it up started bolting down the cam holders then :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: cracked the holder not one not two but three of them i couldnt believe it but i did not let the tree particles leave my site got them all out. put everything back together now my car doesnt start. when i tow started it i know that you shouldnt because of filling the cat up with fuel. ignition 2n gear up goes the clutch and the engine sounds like its shot it..my question is that can you brake the top end up even though the belt hasnt been off i.e if the timing is out??i dont recall accidently adjusting it so does it sound like ive knackered some valves...any help please

gramey
11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
:( Sounds like despite your best efforts either the cam or the belt has slipped and you've knackered some valves. Did you release the cam holders in a certain order and evenly or just start unbolting them? Some of the valves were presumably under tension and when you've tried to bolt them down again your doing so against the tension of the valve spring hence why the holders have cracked.
Any qualified mechanics rather than my humble DIY'er experience that can throw some light on this? :(

jamie211983
11-04-2007, 11:04 PM
no started from the belt and worked towards the car ..cant go work tonight now spose thats not a bad thing but still...

jamie211983
14-04-2007, 02:42 PM
ok after my nightmare engine failing to start it turned out that id just knocked the timing out thank god everything back to normal now but ive always had this problem that when the engines warmed up and idles after a couple of minutes its starts sounding tappetty then il drive for 2 minutes idle would be ok then the tapping comes back 2 minutes later and so on this tells me the oil pressure at idle is low so my question is do i need a new oil pump any advice please.....

ini
14-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Not sure if its relevant to your problem, but on an AFN there is a small replaceable valve/drain that is exposed when you remove your oil filter. It helps to regulate the lifter lubrication, i think it is one of the things to replace if your lifters become noisy.

jamie211983
14-04-2007, 04:29 PM
thanks....