PDA

View Full Version : A6 c6 2006 2.0 tdi se lowering suspension???

nemerkh
22-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Hello
I am looking to lower my A6 SE, 2005/6. I have a standard suspension. I have never done that before. Could someone advise me what exactly to change? Will a lowering suspension (springs and shock abs) do or I have to change something else? Any brands to recommend? I am looking for something affordable.
Thank you for your help.

rharris
22-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I've not done this on my A6, but when I swapped the suspension on my other car for the motorsport suspension I also changed the anti-roll bar to a stiffer setup - if handling is what you are you might want to consider that as well.

stevais
23-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Hey...I'm running KW Coilovers on my 2006 A6 2.0T but I bought the KW Variant 1, which is only height adjustable...and since my rims have major aggresive offset, my tires tend to scrub against my rear fenders. As the Version 1 are still alittle too soft. If I bought the Variant 2, at least I would've been able to adjust the damper and make it alittle harder so that it wont scrub. Basically, if you just need to lower the car and your rims don't have an agressive offset, I guess lowering springs will do if budget is an issue...eventhough I suggest coilovers,hehe. My KW Variant 1 costs about USD1400. Hope this helps.

stevais
23-07-2009, 06:21 AM
I've not done this on my A6, but when I swapped the suspension on my other car for the motorsport suspension I also changed the anti-roll bar to a stiffer setup - if handling is what you are you might want to consider that as well.

Hey RHarris,

I was just wondering what anti-roll bars are you running? Does it really make the ride stiffer??? Thanx in advance.

Stevai

nemerkh
23-07-2009, 10:12 PM
basically i need it for the looks without affecting or damaging the rest of the suspension. My main question is will changing ONLY the coils do its job? will that affect the original shock absorbers and other components of the suspension. Initially this car is bought for family use, i have no intention to convert it to a sporty performer.
i have seen the kits mentioned by KEVAIS but i dont wanna pay this amount of money now.
So to cut it short... changing the COILS ONLY.. will it do?
Thank you

rharris
24-07-2009, 12:05 AM
http://www.eliseparts.com/products.php?product=453 - note I said my other car - i.e. not the Audi :) Doesn't make for a stiffer ride, it reduces the roll which impacts the amount of tyre making contact with the ground - make it too stiff though and the wheel lifts :)

The Audi has s-line setup and I've not touched that because between that and awd I am more than happy....

leeroywarner
24-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I am interested in this as well, 2005 2.0d Family car with se suspension (never raced or rallied), have some 17" wheels on there but just a little to high for my liking. Whats a cheap solution to getting the A6 lower?

paul b
24-07-2009, 07:30 PM
nemerkh and leeroywerner, the best thing for you guys to do would be to fit an Eibach pro kit (they're springs).

Just change the springs only. If you've got a load of cash spare you could fit Koni shock absorbers but it's by no means a must. The pro kit is the best all-rounder, and should improve the ride of the car whilst lowering at the same time.

Eibach pro kit should cost ~£150 if you set up an account and buy direct from Eibach.

I'm on the look-out for a set of the above for mine, as cheap as possible.

nemerkh
25-07-2009, 10:37 AM
thanks alot mate. that sounds pretty re-assuring and doable. otherwise to put at least a grand for a variant 2 or variant 3 is illogical and very expensive. Eibach pro kit it is..

davej
09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
thanks alot mate. that sounds pretty re-assuring and doable. otherwise to put at least a grand for a variant 2 or variant 3 is illogical and very expensive. Eibach pro kit it is..

I've just fitted Eibach pro kits to both my 98 Passat saloon and 2005 Avant as pictured. (88 coupe has them too!) The main sticking point with both vehicles was seized pinch bolts that retain the upper arms into the hub carrier assy. Worse on the Audi as the hub carrier is alloy corrodes itself to the M10 x110 steel bolt. I soaked the area with plus gas days before after my experience with the Passat and to start with it looked promising. The bolt, what you can see of it looked bright and no corrosion to speak of anywhere to be seen. The bolt turned about 1/2 a turn, then seized. I could feel the bolt twisting. The only option was to remove the hub carrier with the strut and get it on the bench. After cutting the bolt with an angle grinder through both clamp slots the arms were released leaving the seized portion of the bolt stuck fast. With the arm joints out of the way I applied heat and drift with a FBH which did the job on the Passat. No joy this time. I ended up drilling it out and used copper slip during reassy. For the other side I left the arms attached (like Crasher suggested) Felt bad replacing something seized but time was not on my side by this stage.
I fitted OE replacement dampers front and rear from GSF as the car has done 160K, rear bump stops on the rear as they had disintegtated.
Feels much flatter in corners, ride is firmer but I have stayed with 16 inch wheels for now - it's a personal preferance for family car comfort although these are the wheels are oe 3.0tdi wheels which I picked up locally. This owner had fitted 18 inch wheels to his Avant which looked ridiculous with std suspension. It's the ratio between arch gap/sidewall depth. More gap than sidewall usually looks wrong on road cars.
The pics attached should give you an idea how you car will look. Let me know if you need more detail

FBF
09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
if you can afford it, get coilovers, ive regretted just getting springs in the past, adjustable ride height means you get the stance you really want. better in resale respects too

Tanuki
04-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Got coilover kit recommendations? I'm going to do it if the price isn't too prohibitive.

FBF
05-09-2009, 09:47 PM
let me know what it costs you id love to do mine but its stupidly expensive for the c4.