PDA

View Full Version : picked up my 1.6 tdi se 105 - 100 mile report

mad evo
22-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Picked her up this morning done 100 miles so far, impressive torque but not had it above 3k rpm yet till the 1k miles mark.

The mpg after 100 miles is 40 so far. However im not the most eco friendly driver! I'm sure i can improve that quite a bit.

My only gripe about the engine is its a bit "all or nothing" meaning you do need to push it get the turbo kicking even in town to get it moving with any dignity. This is my first tdi car and iv been driving a tuned evo daily for 4 years so this is all new to me driving a car like this. Still learning the correct way to drive it, ie civalised fashion lol

Got the ipod cable but the usb was missing so asked for it and was given it straight away no probs. Connected my Ipod touch and very quickly it recognised it and started playing with names etc all perfectly, a bit tricky navigating through folders but a quick tune up of my messy itunes folders will sort that one out.

Very impressed with the standard rcd310 with the ipod the quality is excellent. I have in the past spend thousands on car sound systems and this one is pretty good for standard. Sufficiant enough for most people IMO.

The car has one single visible exhaust as opposed to the old 2 litre tdi's twin exhaust.

The plastic SE steering wheel isn't all that bad, iv seen much worse!

Overall im quite happy with the car and new engine, once iv done some more miles i will be able to put my foot down a bit more and report back but so far seems good for a daily drive.

Will post pics later

psmith98752
22-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Do you know if it has the DPF filter? Thanks for the 100 mile report!

Nightowl4933
23-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmm, 40mph doesn't sound that great. My 2.0 has averaged 53mph over the last (and first!) 1000 miles. Having said that I am using it to commute 90 miles a day with some town driving, but all on A roads.

Pete

mad evo
23-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmm, 40mph doesn't sound that great. My 2.0 has averaged 53mph over the last (and first!) 1000 miles. Having said that I am using it to commute 90 miles a day with some town driving, but all on A roads.

Pete

I live bang in the city centre and spend most my daily drive sitting in traffic so i reckon thats why.

I did get it uptp 45mpg this morning through the city centre in traffic being a bit gentle pulling away.

So far i am really enjoying this golf the car is built really well and for a tdi very very quiet.

mad evo
23-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Do you know if it has the DPF filter? Thanks for the 100 mile report!

Sorry i have no idea

psmith98752
23-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I live bang in the city centre and spend most my daily drive sitting in traffic so i reckon thats why.

I did get it uptp 45mpg this morning through the city centre in traffic being a bit gentle pulling away.

So far i am really enjoying this golf the car is built really well and for a tdi very very quiet.

Sounds good. From inside, can you tell its a diesel or is it that quiet? The engine should average 49.6mpg on urban so 45mpg is whats expected - 10% less that whats stated.

Are you going to be using the car for mainly short city journeys or longer commutes?

mad evo
23-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds good. From inside, can you tell its a diesel or is it that quiet? The engine should average 49.6mpg on urban so 45mpg is whats expected - 10% less that whats stated.

Are you going to be using the car for mainly short city journeys or longer commutes?

Mostly short city journeys however the occasional long run through europe.

I checked the manual and it said there is a light for the dpf filter if it gets clogged, i checked my car and that light seems to be missing so i assume this car doesnt have one? maybe im missing the light and not seeing it but pretty sure its not there.

zf44
24-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Both the new 1.6 90PS and 105PS diesel engines do have the DPF filter. Being a common rail (CR) engine the DPF shouldn't prove troublesome as they have been the MK5 pumpe diesel (PD) engines.

HHGTTG
24-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Mostly short city journeys however the occasional long run through europe.

I checked the manual and it said there is a light for the dpf filter if it gets clogged, i checked my car and that light seems to be missing so i assume this car doesnt have one? maybe im missing the light and not seeing it but pretty sure its not there.
Would not a petrol engine have been more suitable, then?

ross980
24-07-2009, 05:57 PM
If he'd wanted a TSI he'd be waiting until next year and I wouldn't want the standard 1.4 or 1.6 petrol

mad evo
24-07-2009, 06:50 PM

I wanted something quickly and this was a demonstrator coming for the dealer i waited only 10 days from order to pick up.

I was very felxible, had their been a 1.4tsi i would have taken that.

Just needed something good on fuel and today on a 50 mile country run i averaged 60mpg, very impressed!

bmoster
24-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Have just ordered the 1.6 TDI SE 5dr, added park sensors, DAB and the leather steering wheel. I drove the outgoing 2.0TDI 110 which went fine so hope mine is similar. I have a 39 mile round trip to work, 30 miles of this on motorway so am hoping for 50+MPG

J400uk
26-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Must be one of the very first in the UK, as none of the press have reviewed them yet!

mad evo
27-07-2009, 01:16 AM
1st full tank of fuel lasted me 500 miles till near enough empty, mainly city start and stop traffic with one 60 mile run.

I have to say i havent been gentle with my right foot either, very impressed!

The engine is ideal for city use as it pulls away quickly yet retains economy.

I reckon i can easily manage 600 out a tank under city driving with a bit more of a gentle right foot.

So first 500 miles up in 4 days, nice!

bmoster
27-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Have you taken it on the motorway, does it get up to 70 - 80 mph ok and cruise nicely.

mad evo
27-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Have you taken it on the motorway, does it get up to 70 - 80 mph ok and cruise nicely.

yeh 70-80 mph is no probs for this engine, sits very happily even at 90 with good comfort inside. Was very suprised as the only other smalish car iv driven recently was a mini and that didnt edge past 100, this car seems it will go well past 100. Good for motorway use this car. The seats are very comfy aswell.

psmith98752
27-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Thats a great MPG (especially in and around town) as the quoted figures are 49.6mpg for urban. So doing 500miles is just below the quoted figures as just over 10% of driving was on the motorway.

mad evo
27-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Thats a great MPG (especially in and around town) as the quoted figures are 49.6mpg for urban. So doing 500miles is just below the quoted figures as just over 10% of driving was on the motorway.

Yeh i agree very impressive figures.

I am over the moon with how economical this car is, my girlfriend lives 25 miles away and its very handy doing a round trip for around a fiver, i'v never owned or driven a car that could manage that. It is safe to say this car has made my life a lot easier.

I am even more impressed with the build quality of the car, coming from jap performance cars with little or no effort put into the construction of interiors this is a big leap forwards.

The car feels slightly quicker than the 2 litre 110 tdi i test drove, not sure how thats possible or if its just my imagination but it feels like it pulls a bit cleaner in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Offcourse this may just be down to the fact its a newer engine and feels tighter.

For people who are wondering weather to go for GT or SE in terms of comfort all i can say is the suspension on the SE is ideal for comfort, soaks up most bumps with dignity. Not driven a GT so cant compare but the SE spec is obviously quite soft so im sure GT would be better if you intend on doing more country driving. For city use you cant fault the SE's ride quality.

If there is anything anyone who has ordered this car, or is looking to do so wants to know or ask me then feel free more than happy to help out.

icebun
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi Mad Evo,

Can you possibly comment on the cornering capabilities?

Appreciate it's not GT suspension but I am curious to know what it's limits are.

mad evo
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Mad Evo,

Can you possibly comment on the cornering capabilities?

Appreciate it's not GT suspension but I am curious to know what it's limits are.

Cornering is a lot flatter than i thought would be with a 5dr hatch, to be honest i tend not to go quick into corners in this car at all as its not designed for that however its more than enough to tackle everyday situations.

Remember SE spec is quite soft and a lot of body roll but i think the comfort far outweights this.