PDA

View Full Version : SDHC Cards working!

nickhx
21-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Some good news folks...

My Audi A4 B8 went in to the garage this afternoon for a software update to correct a problem with the traffic information programme on the concert radio (MMI low) (the radio was not remembering the volume I had set for the traffic information updates).

As a result, my hardware / software combo which was H11 and SW0130, has now been upgraded to H11 and SW0310.

More importantly, I have just checked and my 8GB Transcend SDHC card is now finally working fine in the radio!!! :beerchug:

My car is one of the first production models (built in September 07) so clearly this upgrade does not need new Concert Radio hardware.

Some follow-up research on the internet this afternoon suggests that the SDHC functionality was introduced as from Software version 0310, so you may wish to check your own versions of the MMI and see whether you can get your dealer to do the update.

I will be ordering a 32GB SDHC card shortly and will post back the results.

Cheers

ScottyUK
21-07-2009, 05:48 PM
There's been a lot of reports of the cards working but the question is can you access everything on the card.

e.g. if you load the card up, can you access all the tracks as previously people have found they can only access the first couple of Gigs worth.

nickhx
22-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Loaded up my 8Gb SDHC card this evening with about 5 gig of files (about 700 files) and all seemed to be working ok, with no files obviously missing.

nickhx
23-07-2009, 04:56 PM
From reading around it seems that 4,000 files is the new limit. Haven't been able to test this yet, but sounds like more than enough for my usage.

rich164h
29-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Loaded up my 8Gb SDHC card this evening with about 5 gig of files (about 700 files) and all seemed to be working ok, with no files obviously missing.
You might be able to see them all but when you try and play some of them the track name could turn grey and say that the file is corrupt (even though it's fine when you play direct off the card on a PC). Have you tried a large number of the tracks on your card?

What I've noticed is that if I remove some of the working tracks suddenly some of the previously "corrupt" track start working. So as said above it doesn't seem as if it's a size of card compatability issue in terms of reading it but rather it will only play up to a certain volume of files.

rich164h
30-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually scrap that, I've just realised that the tracks don't work are nearly all mp4s rather than mp3s. Very odd especially as some work but others don't. I'll try converting them to mp3 and will let you know how I get on.

nickhx
31-07-2009, 05:09 PM
You could also try formatting the card with Panasonic's special SD card formatter program (assuming you have got Windows) which you can google for.

I have read elsewhere that this can solve the problem of missing files (apparently Windows own formatting is not 100% compliant with the SD card format!)

bimmerguy2006
04-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Any idea on how they were able to upgrade the firmware of the head unit? where do they connect, software they use? etc? I have spoken to Audi NA and they insist that it is impossible to upgrade the firmware...

nickhx
04-08-2009, 05:16 PM
AFAIK, only the dealer can perform the update to the Concert Radio Software if it is MMI low via the head unit.

However, if you specifically ask for the software update to enable SDHC, nothing will be available as Audi do not consider it to be an "issue", as the original specification for the A4 Concert was only to read up to 2GB cards.

So, the only way to get the upgrade is to ask your dealer to repair the issue with the traffic volume (see my first post above) which should be done under warranty. That fix involves updating your MMI software to version 0310, which also as a helpful by-product, enables your Concert radio for SDHC!

juniperz
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
...the only way to get the upgrade is to ask your dealer to repair the issue with the traffic volume (see my first post above) which should be done under warranty. That fix involves updating your MMI software to version 0310, which also as a helpful by-product, enables your Concert radio for SDHC!

Doesn't affect me, but that is the kind of collaboration that really makes me appreciate forums :o A fantastic tip.

Andrew654
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good SD card to use with my A5 2007 Concert stereo (non MMI) should only have 2GB limit.
Thanks.

Doctor46
12-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Doesn't affect me, but that is the kind of collaboration that really makes me appreciate forums :o A fantastic tip.

Couldn't agree more. :beerchug:

dc1743
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Some good news folks...

My Audi A4 B8 went in to the garage this afternoon for a software update to correct a problem with the traffic information programme on the concert radio (MMI low) (the radio was not remembering the volume I had set for the traffic information updates).

As a result, my hardware / software combo which was H11 and SW0130, has now been upgraded to H11 and SW0310.

My April 2008 A4 B8 2.0TDI also has a hardware / software combo of H11 and SW0130 and the traffic information volume doesn't stick.

I had the first service last week at Crewe Audi whilst I waited, and asked for the traffic information volume to be fixed. I advised them that a forum member had had the problem fixed with a software update. About an hour and a half into the wait the service receptionist informed me that the anti-freeze would only protect to -15 C and that the technician recommended a flush out and new anti freeze. At a cost of £56 + vat I declined this.

When the service was complete and I was collecting the keys the receptionist mentioned that the technician could find no mention of the traffic information volume problem on Audi's list of faults for this model and therefore had done nothing about it. I am left wondering why the technician didn't test the traffic volume and why they seem to be content that I have a problem that they won't fix. My impression is that they were only interested in squeezing more money out of me.

Does anyone know a fault reference code or similar that I can point them to in order to get the traffic information volume fixed. I genuinely want this problem fixed as I am quite happy with the non SDHC 4gb SD card I am using.

Regards

rayc
07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Nickhx did you get the 16gb card and is it working, if so what make did you get ????:beerchug:

ScottyUK
07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
My April 2008 A4 B8 2.0TDI also has a hardware / software combo of H11 and SW0130 and the traffic information volume doesn't stick.

I had the first service last week at Crewe Audi whilst I waited, and asked for the traffic information volume to be fixed. I advised them that a forum member had had the problem fixed with a software update. About an hour and a half into the wait the service receptionist informed me that the anti-freeze would only protect to -15 C and that the technician recommended a flush out and new anti freeze. At a cost of £56 + vat I declined this.

When the service was complete and I was collecting the keys the receptionist mentioned that the technician could find no mention of the traffic information volume problem on Audi's list of faults for this model and therefore had done nothing about it. I am left wondering why the technician didn't test the traffic volume and why they seem to be content that I have a problem that they won't fix. My impression is that they were only interested in squeezing more money out of me.

Does anyone know a fault reference code or similar that I can point them to in order to get the traffic information volume fixed. I genuinely want this problem fixed as I am quite happy with the non SDHC 4gb SD card I am using.

Regards

I'd be very pi55ed off with that response. If I was you, I get the latest B8 brochure, roll it up and ram it up the representatives butt!!

This is what it says on page 79 :

"

Getting better every time
Audi continually gather feedback from our highly trained Technicians and our customers to ensure our vehicles are running as they should. If necessary, we use this feedback to make improvements (in the form of software updates) to help maintain the durability, performance, efficiency and safety you would expect from our cars. These updates will also ensure certain retrofitted products are correctly installed and function correctly (tow bar fitting changes the torque characteristics of your engine, for example). We ensure these are loaded onto your vehicle each and every time it’s in our workshop."

a8 tech
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
svm comparison test, prompted to the operator after a full scan of the vehicles diagnostic system.Latest sw revisions down loaded if required.Other methods include cd rom updates or svm request codes.Svm comparison test highlights incorrect retro fit procedures or reverts long codes as well as incorrect sw versions from components replaced without current software.
As always depends on the knowledge of the operator

If coolant mixture falls below -25c and the vehicle is within warranty without any repairs involving coolant loss then then the vehicle has left the production line with incorrect mixture or the technician is incorrect.The mixture would be checked at pdi and corrected under warranty.

hixhix
14-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Hi all

I am pretty new on this forum, but I am amazed what kind of help this forum is. I really appreciate reading all the dedicated peoples answers and thoughts.

I will soon receive my new A4 with Concert stereo. Right now I am preparing some stuff, including thinking of buying a SD card and fill it with music and books. But I can't figure out which card I can buy. Does the newer cars accept 16gb SDHC or even 32gb SDHC? Or should I buy a few 4gb cards?

Appreciate your help

Regards

harryg
15-11-2009, 12:20 AM
My car has a symphony Sound System and the manual states quote 'Memory cards with a capacity of up to 32 GB'. I personally have 6 off 4GB cards at present.
The cards are SanDisk SDHC.

daffs
17-11-2009, 08:51 PM
playing safe & sticking to the 2GB limit mentioned in the manual.
These work for me
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/11404596/PNY-2GB-SD-Card-5-Pack/Product.html

approx 20 CD's at a quality suitable for the car (IMO) for £3.60.

nickhx
23-11-2009, 03:57 PM
If your radio has software version (SW 0310) and above, then you will be fine with SDHC cards.

I have an 8GB Transcend SDHC card (formatted with the Panasonic Windows SD Card formatter) which is working perfectly (I haven't needed to splash out on the 16GB yet!)

hixhix
23-11-2009, 06:52 PM
If your radio has software version (SW 0310) and above, then you will be fine with SDHC cards.

I have an 8GB Transcend SDHC card (formatted with the Panasonic Windows SD Card formatter) which is working perfectly (I haven't needed to splash out on the 16GB yet!)

Thank you nickhx, I appreciate your answer. The thing is that so far people has only used 2-8 GB cards, I have not seen anyone saying that they have tested a 16 GB or 32 GB card.

You said that you have used "Panasonic Windows SD card formatter" could there be a problem if the card is not formatted the right way?

But I will pick up my new car on Wednesday at 10:00 am and I have a 16GB card at home, I will let you know if it works or not.

Rgds

nickhx
23-11-2009, 07:58 PM
I remember reading on a German forum somewhere that the standard formatting used by Windows was not fully compliant with the SD card spec, which seemed to cause problems for some people.

I did not have any problems myself using Windows formatted cards, however for safety's sake, I used the Panasonic formatter for the 8GB SDHC card I have, and have had no problems at all.

A4 Canuck
24-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi all, just joined this forum and picked up new A4 w/ B&O last week.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but the new MMI 3 (and assume it's the same with firmware upgrade people are discussing) does spec up to 32GB (i.e. SDHC), but probably no point going beyond 8 GB anyways because there's a limit to how many files the MMI can read on any one media.

For the memory card reader, manual states: max. 512 files and subdirectories per directory; max. 2048 files and directories per media

With my mp3's, I get usually between 1,800 - 2,000 files per 8 GB, and usually rip at about 192 to 256 kbps VBR. So for me at least, no point even getting 16 GB cards, even though MMI could read wouldn't be able to use more than about 8 GB anyways.

hope that helps, I think for most people getting 16 GB or 32 GB cards won't be worth it....now we just need to get AUDI MMI to read OGG (or better yet FLAC, then 32 GB would be worth it!)

Zio
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
For the memory card reader, manual states: max. 512 files and subdirectories per directory; max. 2048 files and directories per media
-znip-
hope that helps, I think for most people getting 16 GB or 32 GB cards won't be worth it....now we just need to get AUDI MMI to read OGG (or better yet FLAC, then 32 GB would be worth it!)

The SDHC standard states that it uses FAT32 file system which means it should support 268 435 437 files and 4GB max file size. I would like to think that the card reader manufacturer follows the specification.

I have a 16GB SDHC card. Currently I have 2124 files in 175 directories (about 11GB of music). Haven't noticed any problems (haven't played all the files yet thou:Blush:).

I have also done a SW upgrade from 0130 to 0310 to make the SDHC card work (Audi Concert "MMI").

Rb1231
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi
New to the forum. Picked up a 58 plate A4 170 tdi avant last week and very happy with it. Only issue is the memory card capacity and SD / HC issue. I realise this is an old thread but wondered how people have got on updating their software on the concert radio? I suggested it to my local Audi dealer (updating from SW0210 to newer software) and they couldn't find an update for my car, only a bulletin from Audi pointing out the limitations and stating the headunits can not be upgraded or even replaced to overcome this.

Cheers
Rich

gregpot2000
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
HI There

Having an 08 A4 myself I know only too well of this problem. I recently bought it, with this limitation, Eventually I will be using my IPod but wanted to use SD cards until I could afford the AMI... I then found out AMI couldn't even be connected to my unit as it was an old early unit that had a SD/CD button instead of a MEDIA button. so thought I would ask Audi to update the unit as a stop gap to keep me going until I replaced it. They quoted me £150!! I could buy a newer unit off ebay for £90! after I finished laughing I got in touch with an installer in Manchester that fitted a brand new unit for a 2011 car that had never been used for £200...

Anyway I have digressed a bit lol The update you need to tell you Audi dealer is:
SVM: B856A001

The main purpose of this is to correct a traffic update problem, but as an extra it also upgrades the unit for the bigger capacity memory cards.

see here for more details:
http://audiforum.us/threads/upgraiding-the-software-inside-audi-concert-radio.8774/#post82029

Rb1231
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for that info. I had actually found that link and quoted the reference SVM: B856A001 to my local Audi service department but they knew nothing of it which is a bit odd.
£150 to connect a laptop to your motor is pushing it ever so slightly but a nice try!

I'll ring around other dealerships and see whether it is feasible and at what cost. I've only found one post on another forum indicating a successful update at the moment.

Otherwise as you'll have found the only sellers of the SD only cards seem to be making a cynical killing out of outdated technology. For me a 4gb card would cover it but not at £49 as I saw on Amazon for a Transcend card!

Cheers for the reply

gregpot2000
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
yeah that's why i find it laughable! £150 to plug the car into their laptop for about 10minutes! what a joke! he actually asked if I wanted to book it in their and then, I politely declined!

scaseman
07-01-2012, 02:42 AM
@Gregpot2000

I've just bought a 2008 A5 and have the concert III with no AMI/ipod connector options.

Did the replacement give you AMI/ipod etc?

Where was it you got your replacement stereo in Manchester (I live in Manc) I might see if they have any options for me.

Thanks

Tom

gregpot2000
08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Scaseman

The AMI is a separate box, the problem with my original unit, and yours I'm guessing is that it was released before the AMI was actually available for the "can-bus" cars, and as such is not compatible, there is actually no where to plug it in at the back.
What I had done was this unit replaced with a 2011 unit which works exactly the same, and looks exactly the same apart from having a MEDIA button instead of a CD/SD button, this unit came with all the right sockets in the back, and updated software to read the SDHC cards, but I still needed to buy the AMI separately.

I went to Craig B in Manchester, he is actually a sub contractor for Manchester Audi, so chances are if you ask for any audio work to be done by them, they will get him to do it anyway, although he also does jobs and installs by himself. take a look at his website here: http://www.tclsatnav.com/

The first thing you need is the new unit, Craig supplied, fitted and coded mine for £200.

Then you need the AMI fitting, again Craig did this all for £379, including supplying and fitting the new required glove box.

I know it sounds a lot, but Audi wanted over £800 for this work, not including the glove box, and unfortunately there is no other way to listen to your Ipod in the car, believe me I spent weeks researching it, thinking all I would need was a simple adaptor like in my B7! It was a lot of money for me as well, so I got the new unit first so I could listen to large SD cards to keep me going, I then had the AMI fitted a few months after when I had more money.

The AMI I am overall happy with, it shows full text information of songs on the display, you fully navigate your ipod menus using the stereo controls so the Ipod actually never actually leaves the glovebox. Minor irritations I have with it is that sometimes it takes a while to load menus, although I think this is due to the large amount of songs on my Ipod (14,000!)
With regards to Craig, I cannot recommend him enough, he was very professional, knew his stuff and was very helpful. and as he does a lot of work for Audi Dealers anyway you are basically having a main dealer level service.

Hope this helps.

scaseman
10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Gregpot..... I actually have a 'Media' button on my unit. Top left of the unit it's Radio, then Media, then Info.

What does that mean? Does that mean I only need to get an AMI fitted? Mines a 58 plate A5 (sept 2008)

Thanks for your help by the way.

gregpot2000
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi

As far I was aware the problem only affected early '08 A4's, and 57' plate A5's, and these were the only car without a Media button.

As your car is a 58 A5 and you have the Media button, I would say all you would need is the AMI fitting yes.

Give Craig an email (address on his website) though to confirm.

thanks

a8 tech
10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I covered this 3 years ago
You must fit a radio unit from 2010 for can ami
Search the forum iPod confusion and well before Craigy new about it may I add

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

scaseman
13-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your input a8 tech.

From that thread then.... am I right in thinking that I fall into this category as I have an Aux port?

B8 A4 AND A5 GENERATION 3 RADIO WITH AUX INPUT SOCKET
These models can support ami can bus and ipod interface buid week 22/08
WIRING LOOM 8K0 051 592
AMI KIT 8T0 057 785
Also a new glove box (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=glove+box) is required

Thanks

Mcandy76
15-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Can any one help ? I have seen some older posts on this subject but nothing recent.
Trying to get the sd card to play, I fell into the SDHC trap now using a scandisk 2gb sd card formatted to fat32
I have copyed ( not drag drop) mp3 album from pc to card. Also tryed creating a music folder In case They need to be in a music folder.
Have tryed all these options yet still unreadable :-(

a8 tech
15-01-2012, 08:57 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6703023965_fe6714d010_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703023965/)
ScreenShot004 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703023965/) by a8 tech (http://www.flickr.com/people/33525279@N04/), on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6703016877_e902a9ae78_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703016877/)
ScreenShot003 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703016877/) by a8 tech (http://www.flickr.com/people/33525279@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6703010235_7102440cca_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703010235/)
ScreenShot002 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703010235/) by a8 tech (http://www.flickr.com/people/33525279@N04/), on Flickr
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6703004221_7a5e642abd_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703004221/)
ScreenShot001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33525279@N04/6703004221/) by a8 tech (http://www.flickr.com/people/33525279@N04/), on Flickr

Mcandy76
17-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the reply A8 Tec

I have read and checked your manual post. I am 99 % sure I have followed all the spec in the manual.

The files are mp3 with a bit rate of 320 kbps, the music is loaded onto the 2gb scandisk sd card and stored as album tittle, I have only put one album on the card to test (15 tracks). they are not protected and the item type is ,,mp3 format sound.
I have also loaded a blank 2gb sd card into the car, to see if it would read and say empty or something. again just saying unreadable :-(
I have two scandisk 2gb sd card's and one 4gb sdhc card. none will work.
One card is formated to FAT the other 2 are FAT32.

Any one got any ideas please ?

contacted the dealer today but they had no info.

Also asked about the ipod hook up advertised from £135 turns out i need an AMI rough quote £430 :-(

Mcandy76
18-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Had an update

went to another dealer today very helpfull.

sales guy lent me his 16gb sdhc card to try in my car (58 plate A4 B8), as expected it did nor work.
Then tried in dealer (60 plate) car my 8gb sdhc, 2gb sd formated to FAT and one 2 gb sd formated to FAT32 all three worked.

Dealer conclushion - My SD card reader is not working and as my car is out of warrenty = I am stuck :-(

AMI £430 :-(

gregpot2000
18-01-2012, 07:57 PM
If you are happy with just sd cards, you could just get a new stereo to replace it. Mine brand new was 200. But think they go for about 80 on ebay

Mcandy76
18-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Just had a look for b8. could only find one listed. used £220 and that was a concert ...

I can't see it being a hardware problem ?

but have spoken with Craig today and I will go for the AMI add on, I will ask him if he can do the update too as this might fix the sd reader ???

Mcandy76
19-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Well pull my pants down and call me shirley !

Orderd a 2 gb trancend sd card as a last hope. it only bloody plays :-)

so that would sugest scandisk " the global leader in flash memory " 2gb sd cards are not compatible with the B8 ?

hummm ? would still like the update though so i can play bigger cards is this were VAG comes in ??

FlyingScud
19-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Useful information this. My 57 A3 Sportback has Navi Plus system and only takes 2Mb SD cards at present. Does the firmware/software update have to be done by Audi dealer? Some Sat Nav disk sites ( http://www.satnav-updates.com ) says that the new 2012 disks come with firmware updates. Are these reliable, do you think? No addresses and only mobile numbers, dodgy or what!

spitz
19-01-2012, 05:49 PM
FWIW, I have been following this thread with interest having just acquired a B8 A4 Avant 2008 with the Concert radio and old software. I asked my Audi main dealer to check for a software update on our car and was advised that a full scan showed no updates pending. So in my case it has not been possible to get this resolved via an official route. I also note that the SVM code referred to further up this thread was documented on a US site so may not apply over here. The dealer could not find it on their system. Apologies this does not provide a solution but thought it worth sharing.

a8 tech
19-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Workshop cmpaign 91F1 SVM code 91F1A001.

gregpot2000
20-01-2012, 11:16 AM
I think this shows the difference between dealers, some may be knowledgeable, some may be not.

My dealer did actually have the software update when I told them the code, and said they could do it, but couldn’t guarantee it would enable SDHC cards as its main purpose was for the traffic announcements (fair enough), although when he said a price of £150 to plug his laptop in for 10minutes, that’s when I laughed and walked out.

You can get a brand new stereo for £200, a used one from eBay for probably £100, and then sell your own on eBay like I did to recuperate a lot of the money back.

So to expect £150 just to plug a laptop in is a joke.

scaseman
28-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Just an update.

Craig fitted the AMI to my 2008 Stereo no problem today. No need to replace the stereo and now I have my iPod connected up with the loss of my AUX (which is fine by me).

Excellent service may I add..... done within the hour and a real decent bloke.

Highly recommend him if anyone needs any ICE upgrades/mods

Thanks for pointing me in his direction Gregpot :)

P Smiddy
27-02-2012, 06:02 PM
I folks, Just a quick thanks to say you saved me from buying a 32Gb sd card and a lot of confusion. Bought a 2Gb and I'm a happy chappy!

DP24V
29-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I currently have a 32gb PNY SDHC card with approx 14gb of music and all appears to play prefectly on my MMi 3g, the owners book does state that a card of a maximum 32gb can be used with the MMi 3g. I will load the card with some more music over the next few days and report back.

I got my card from www.memorybits.co.uk they had a special offer on and the card was £12.95+vat, not bad for a class 10 SDHC 32gb card.

neilos100
29-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Not sure if its the same system in the 2009 A6, suspect it is, but I have two 16GB cards working fine in mine.....and have tried a 32GB and that works too.

Neil

JohnC17
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this site but been following it for a few weeks now leading up to me buying my first Audi (and a great help it has been too!). I followed this thread with great interest as I bought a May 2008 A4 Saloon - I also already had a 8GB SDHC card and couldn't wait to try it, but sure enough it didn't work.
I resigned myself to the fact I'd need to buy some 2GB cards till I remembered that for a while you could get 4GB cards in both SD and SDHC, not many manufacturers made them and sometimes they were a bit of a hit and a miss. So checked Google to see if I could find any, came up with this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platinum-177106-Secure-Digital-Card/dp/B000BR9ZRG/ref=pd_sim_computers_1

Mines arrived today and just tried it ........... and it works!! :) I'm off to order a few more before they all go (also great for my old non SDHC TomTom).
The only other non HC SD card I could find was £49.99!