PDA

View Full Version : Falling out with our A4 S-line Avant...

crazant
21-07-2009, 09:52 AM
We bought a 32,000 mile 06 S-line 2.0 Tdi Avant a few months ago and to be honest we are not enjoying it at all. It just dosen't feel right, a few weeks after we got it it was hesitating while driving along, we managed to get it into Audi on the last day of the warranty, they said it was dragging a bit of oil through with the diesel or something so they changed a pump or two and did the latest software upgrade which has cured the hesitating but it is not what i would call a nice drive...
When in first it sets of and then dies , then when in second the turbo lag is terrible..Its just hard to drive nice and smooth.
On starting the engine shakes for a few seconds and the idle is lumpy..
Then this morning the air con/heating is only blowing air out of the 2 right vents ( warm from the left 2)

We have an extended warranty ( Third party) but are unsure as to what to do next, we got the car for a good price so may just get it right and sell it.

The car looks the bees knees but to be honest our old 130,000 Passat TDI felt just as nice to drive and that didn't cost us 11.5k...

Any thoughts to help me improve our first Audi experience...Re map etc...

Thanks A lot
Anthony

randall977
21-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm having a simular experience with my 06 A4 Avant - a bit disappointed as it looks great and should be great but just doesn't really feel it...and the fuel economy...don't get me started! I'm thinking about remapping; after the hefty investment to buy the thing in the first place I'm lothed to sell it after just a few months. Only problem is £300-400 is a lot of money and the insurance will be affected.

crazant
21-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Yep the fuel economy isn't brill, I put £22 in the other day and got about 170 miles out of it, 100 of which were gentle motorway miles, I'm beginning to think the 330d Touring was a better option...at least if the economy wasn't brill I'd have a big smile on my face doing it....

bhprs
21-07-2009, 07:26 PM
hi

get a remap that will put a smile on your face .:biglaugh:

kodkod.84
21-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Or trade in and get a 2.0T :biglaugh: Looking at your fuel consumption, the petrol isn't too bad 450-480 miles from a tank (70 litres)

redducati
21-07-2009, 09:31 PM
To be honest I'm not 100% happy with my S-line. I loved the B5 1.9 Tdi we had before, it was such a reliable work horse. It had a whooping 250k on it when we sold it but the engine was spot on.
Maybe I was just expecting more. TBH if i hadnt spend £500 on a removable towbar and another £500 on BBS LM rep's then i would have downed it.

crazant
22-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Was thinking of a remap, are they really that good and would it make it a lot more drivable and smooth...
I don't think we are in such a bad position if we sell it, We bought it pretty cheap a few months ago and looking on Ebay and pistonheads etc i think we would get our money back...
Its a 2006 (06) 2.0 Tdi S-line Avant ,42,000 miles in Red with History and transferable third party warranty... Do you think its worth £11.5- 12k
If a remap would transform the car then i think that might be the best option...

Cheers for the comments
Anthony

dovski
22-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I personally dont think a remap will solve the porr starting and turbo lag issues you appear to be having. Sounds like its drawing air into the fuel system. Was the car damaged at all prior to purchase? I'd take it back to the dealer to continue thier diagnosis on the same reported problem..:o

crazant
22-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, the car wasn't damaged, well not enough to show on any hpi report..
Where do we stand with Audi now the warranty has run out....When we took the car in we mentioned a recall that was for our engine code on the EGR and oil cooler but they didn't do anything because they said it wasn't on our range of engine numbers...
Does anyone know if there is a recall on the air con...The 2 right hand vents are blowing cold and the left 2 are ok

Thanks

szebe1983
14-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, the car wasn't damaged, well not enough to show on any hpi report..
Where do we stand with Audi now the warranty has run out....When we took the car in we mentioned a recall that was for our engine code on the EGR and oil cooler but they didn't do anything because they said it wasn't on our range of engine numbers...
Does anyone know if there is a recall on the air con...The 2 right hand vents are blowing cold and the left 2 are ok

Thanks

I may have a solution for your rough idle problem. I was having the same issues with mine. On cold starts the engine would start rough and was lumpy just like you described it. It became worse progressively with time. It does it now too when coming to a stop at a traffic light. I took it in and showed it to the dealer. Unfortunately it was not that apparent then, but the dealer promised that they would take a look at it. After one day I got a call from the dealer and I was told that the computer test found no issues. I insisted that regardless what the computer shows and that there is a problem. He agreed and said that they would do further tests. A day later he called again that they narrowed it down to the EGR valve. They took it out and said that it was contaminated, but could be cleaned. They said that it would probably break eventually so the best option would be to have it replaced. I as well have third party warranty and it covers the costs. They just got the valve and it will be installed on Monday. I really hope this will solve my problem. I am still ****** thought because I dont think the EGR valve should have to be cleaned after only 35000 KMs let alone replaced. On the other hand I am happy that this happened before the warranty ran out. Ill keep you posted.

h3rman
15-08-2009, 01:03 AM
the car wasn't damaged, well not enough to show on any hpi report..

HPI's arn't worth the paper they are printed on mate. On the MLR (Mitsubishi Lancer Register) one guy bought a TVR from the regional chairman of the TVR owners club, he spoke the the dealer it was previously purchased from before buying it to get some history on it, all came back well and he was told there was NO finance on the car, was paid in cash.

So he bought the car thinking all was great, went to sell it about a year later then a potential buyer said the HPI came back with finance, so the owner called Lloyds (the finance company) and they said that it had all been paid off years ago, but they had not updated their records!!!

Also, my mum traded in her Merc C180 for her Audi, and when trading it in they did a HPI which came back with outstanding finance even tho she paid it off 3 years ago!!

Like I said mate, not worth the paper they are printed on. Also HPI will only tell you if it's been written off by an insurance company, not if it was crashed and repaired by insurers or privately.

jaysquires
15-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I know how you feel ive been very very disapointed with my b7 55 2.0tdi 140 s-line. I bought it 9 months ago from audi liverpool with only 32000 on the clock.

After only 3 months the turbo blew which was replaced on warranty.
Then a few weeks later i had a brake wiring fault which was fixed on warranty which they at first tried to charge me for!
Then a few weeks later engine management light came on in, in it went again this time for a fuel temperature sensor.
I had the tracking done myself because i was gettin uneven trye wear audi said it was fine, when i got it done it was miles out i even got a print out to show them but they didnt care!
Ive had 2 of the wheels refurbished because the paint started flaking, this was done on the warranty again but the job was terrible!

I also have the rough start up and idle problem, again audi have looked at it said its fine.

Ive been dealing with the manager of audi liverpool, but he doesnt bother returning my calls, i just dont know what to do anymore seems like im getting nowhere HELP???

kite
15-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I know how you feel ive been very very disapointed with my b7 55 2.0tdi 140 s-line. I bought it 9 months ago from audi liverpool with only 32000 on the clock.

After only 3 months the turbo blew which was replaced on warranty.
Then a few weeks later i had a brake wiring fault which was fixed on warranty which they at first tried to charge me for!
Then a few weeks later engine management light came on in, in it went again this time for a fuel temperature sensor.
I had the tracking done myself because i was gettin uneven trye wear audi said it was fine, when i got it done it was miles out i even got a print out to show them but they didnt care!
Ive had 2 of the wheels refurbished because the paint started flaking, this was done on the warranty again but the job was terrible!

I also have the rough start up and idle problem, again audi have looked at it said its fine.

Ive been dealing with the manager of audi liverpool, but he doesnt bother returning my calls, i just dont know what to do anymore seems like im getting nowhere HELP???

Contact Audi CS 0800 699 888 and let them sort the problems your having with the dealer.

szebe1983
20-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Well, I got my car back. It was fine for a day and a half before the rough idle returned with a vengeance. I called the workshop and we agreed that I would give it a good drive on the autobahn over the weekend. Somehow I doubt this will solve my problems. The senior tech said that there might still be still be some contaminants in the system. We'll see about that....

crazant
21-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi thanks for the update, ours is due a service in the next few weeks, see if they can sort anything out , its going to Audi Sport in Gt Harwood so some fresh eyes might find something. Its only had its new tyres on for about 1000 miles and i'm sure i can see them wearing on the outside edge, we have had the tracking done etc... Given that we got the car at a good price a few months ago , I'm pretty sure we will get our money back so it might be move on time...
To be honest it doesn't drive any better than my old W reg Passat Tdi with 100k on it, and its cost me 10k more....
Cheers
Again
Anthony