PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Vista (file copy problem)

Col
20-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Hate Vista.

I've got SD carded Camcorda and am trying to copy the files from it to the stupid vista desktop we have here at home.

Except it keeps getting stuck (randomly, not in the same place)

And it is taking an age !

In Windows XP when you copied and pasted, if a file already existed XP would ask you if you wanted to replace or ignor / skip and then would move on.

Stupid Vista it would seem starts right back at the beginning and re-copies the whole lot.

Annoying to say the least when you trying to move 78 clips (7.34 gigabytes)

Does anyone know how I can force stupid vista to behave like XP does i.e ask me if I want to re-copy or skip. I've got about 7 gig of the 7.34 copied by the way and would, if it were only a few files look and see what had and had not been copied. Thing is there are 78 of the buggers !

Excuses excuses, I know. And I also know it is probably something I'm not doing properly but if anyone has a didge or a workround, please let me know.

aBoijj
30-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Standard behaviour for vista is to continue copying in the background while it is waiting for your response, then act accordingly once you respond. Both my vista machines behave in the way I describe. Are you fully patched (inc SP2)?

TSGAB
28-01-2010, 09:18 PM
You need at least Vista SP1 installed, they fixed a lot of the issues with file copying with that - I know, I was experiencing them!

Hope that helps.

turbine2
29-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Do it from the command line with the appropriate switches?

Start
Run
CMD
xcopy32 e:\*.* c:\some_location\*.* /q /c /r /y

Substitute e:\*.* for the drive / folder that your SD card is and c:\some_location\ for where you want the files to go.

f33nix
15-02-2010, 09:52 PM
. (http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php)