PDA

View Full Version : Midline Display

pmnpmn
20-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Could someone please tell me what info is available in the standard non-highline display? Thanks!:confused:

psmith98752
21-07-2009, 12:43 AM
And could someone please explain what options are available in the highline display - apart from showing which door is open, what makes this better?

machine
22-07-2009, 02:04 AM
midline has, just off the top of my head....

time elapsed
average speed
average mpg
outside temp
range
and the option to set an alarm when you hit a set speed.

psmith98752
22-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Can you get the highline display without having a multi function steering wheel?

As apparently, the Bluemotion i've ordered has the highline but no multi function steering wheel.

chockymonster
22-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Can you get the highline display without having a multi function steering wheel?

As apparently, the Bluemotion i've ordered has the highline but no multi function steering wheel.

Yes you can. It's on the options list as a single option. The MFSW includes the highline display and leather gear gaitor.

Gaffa
22-07-2009, 05:05 PM
What does the highline add?

J400uk
26-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Highline displays more information at once, it gives you the pictogram of the car, lets you adjust car settings and it can display radio and satnav info. For the extra £50 or whatever it is, its well worth it. Should really be standard fit. On Bluemotion models it also tells you when to change gear.

machine
29-07-2009, 12:30 AM
If the highline hadn't meant a 3 month wait I would have had it, not sure you actually miss out by not having it though.

mad evo
29-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Highline displays more information at once, it gives you the pictogram of the car, lets you adjust car settings and it can display radio and satnav info. For the extra £50 or whatever it is, its well worth it. Should really be standard fit. On Bluemotion models it also tells you when to change gear.

The standard midline display on my 110 1.6 tdi se tells me when to change gear aswell

So am i right in assuming i cant access any settings with the midline display?

Would have payed the extra £50 for the highline just it would have meant a 3-4 month wait for factory order.

Oh well nevermind the midline still looks good

pmnpmn
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Just got my 1.4SE TSi and all's well - except that on the midline display, I'm seeing the second speed in km/h at the bottom instead of the total miles travelled when the car is in motion which I'm sure was there this morning! What have I done?? I can't get the odometer back, although it shows the miles when the car is stationary. Doh!
The only other "problem" is that there are all sorts of odd clicks, some but not all, from the DSG box. This is how it should be, I suppose?

Thanks for your help

Paul

machine
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
the speed in kph is a legal requirment, the total miles only shows when you stop.

you've done nothing you just didn't notice it earlier.

JohnVulcan
12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Have read all your comments, I'm glad I followed my dealers advice and went for the Highline. However, because of VW's very poor web site, which has precious little information about anything (for those who want to know more, that is) I haven't a clue what these extra settings are and will have to wait another six weeks or so before I get the car and find out.

For all those of us who are still waiting, what are the highlights of the Highline please?

paul.mgrath
13-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't know what the highlights are but can tell you mine give:-

All radio info - if listening to mp3 all song info (whether on cd or ipod)

Door open info graphically

Usual stuff act mpg, av mpg, av speed, oil temp, route length, speed warn journey time etc.

Option to change what is given on mfd shown on line above

Option to change how doors open, windows closed, how lights work, I'm sure theres more but i am at work and have not RTFM yet as can't be bothered!:biglaugh:

malaroo978
13-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey Mate,

Im not 100% on this as I only read up on it for MKV golfs not the MKVI's! but should be the same. So as far as Im aware with the highline instead of just being able to see the Average MPG, distance left on current tank level, instantaneous MPG, time travelled, average speed and of course the speed warning!

You can also adjust some settings of the car, this I believe is features such as How long the lights home function stays on for, wether the doors lock when you start moving, what certain presses on the key fob button does etc. So its settings like this that you will be able to change.

Really wish Id got the highline not the midline...

Sorry I dont know it all just know a bit :)

HHGTTG
13-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I don't know what the highlights are but can tell you mine give:-

All radio info - if listening to mp3 all song info (whether on cd or ipod)

Door open info graphically

Usual stuff act mpg, av mpg, av speed, oil temp, route length, speed warn journey time etc.

Option to change what is given on mfd shown on line above

Option to change how doors open, windows closed, how lights work, I'm sure theres more but i am at work and have not RTFM yet as can't be bothered!:biglaugh:
Yes, all that and whether you want 12/24 hour clock, invoke DST as to adjust clock easily for Summertime etc. I have pruned down my 'usual stuff' to eliminate the oil temp. and speed test warning and maybe will eliminate the useless instant fuel consumption read-out.
You can also check on time to next service.
When the audio is on the MFD can be scrolled throught to show what's currently playing and the up/down buttons can be used to change tracks but so, of course, can the left hand audio buttons on the MFSW.

psmith98752
13-08-2009, 03:03 PM
the up/down buttons can be used to change tracks but so, of course, can the left hand audio buttons on the MFSW.

Do you mind me asking exactly which buttons do this and is this standard? I've not ordered the MFSW but do have the highline display. Are you saying I can change the tracks from some button other than on the head unit itself?

HHGTTG
13-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Do you mind me asking exactly which buttons do this and is this standard? I've not ordered the MFSW but do have the highline display. Are you saying I can change the tracks from some button other than on the head unit itself?
If you've not got the MFSW then, as far as I know, you cannot alter any audio parameters from your right hand stalk's rocker switch. You can only enter the MFD menus to make those changes we've discussed here.

JohnVulcan
13-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for that guys, being something of a gadget geek I'm going to enjoy configuring these settings to suit my requirements when I eventually get the car. It's being built in Week 34, which I hope is either next week or the week after. I can't wait of cause! I must say how much I've enjoyed being on this forum in the meantime.

Cheers

psmith98752
14-08-2009, 12:26 AM
It's being built in Week 34, which I hope is either next week or the week after. I can't wait of cause! I must say how much I've enjoyed being on this forum in the meantime.

Lucky you! Think mine has now been pushed back to week 37. So i'm now looking at delivery at the end of September if I'm lucky!

Typ 5K
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
So, can anyone describe all the features of the Midline MFD? The handbook concentrates on the Highline MFD (or "MFD with menu display" at it calls it) and is particularly useless about describing how the Midline MFD works. :mad:

So far I've worked out for myself that the button under the left of the instrument cluster (with the two squares) lets me set the clock, but pressing it a third time shows "730" in the middle of the display, and "18000 miles" on the odometer, with a spanner icon next to it. Something to do with service intervals I guess, but what exactly?

Just tried the button underneath the wiper stalk today, and it seems to switch between two different running average speed/mpg/journey time readings. Not sure how/when these are reset...

Also, is it possible to have it display something more useful than the speed in km/h on the odometer line when in motion? I don't think there's any legal requirement in the UK for a digital metric speedometer!

HHGTTG
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
So, can anyone describe all the features of the Midline MFD? The handbook concentrates on the Highline MFD (or "MFD with menu display" at it calls it) and is particularly useless about describing how the Midline MFD works. :mad:

So far I've worked out for myself that the button under the left of the instrument cluster (with the two squares) lets me set the clock, but pressing it a third time shows "730" in the middle of the display, and "18000 miles" on the odometer, with a spanner icon next to it. Something to do with service intervals I guess, but what exactly?

Just tried the button underneath the wiper stalk today, and it seems to switch between two different running average speed/mpg/journey time readings. Not sure how/when these are reset...

Also, is it possible to have it display something more useful than the speed in km/h on the odometer line when in motion? I don't think there's any legal requirement in the UK for a digital metric speedometer!
I can only explain relative to the Midline MFD I had on my old MK5.
The rocker switch on the end of the stalk cycles through the various windows, showing average/instant mpg, tank range, time of journey etc. and the little button under the wiper stalk toggles between memories 1 and 2. the latter being a cumulative memory which is wiped clear after 9999 miles or so many hours or litres of fuel (can't remember exactly). To zero any of these memories you select 1 or 2, using the button, and then hold the button in for a few seconds to zero said memory.
Regarding the button under the left hand insturment. cluster You press this once and then use the one on the right hand side '00' to change the hours of the clock and then press the left hand button again and use the right hand button to change the minutes and then you press the left hand one, once more to exit clock set-up.
Seemingly as with my MK5 if you had the ignition on and pressed the '00' trip reset button and held it for a few secs the display used to show distance/mileage until next service followed by days left to next service. Pehaps you are invoking this info. on the MK6 a different way. Anway it looks, on yours, as though your car is set for Longlife service if it shows 18,000 miles followed by 730 days?

Does any of these make sense? Ask again if you have further question.

pmnpmn
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
:confused:Thanks for all this info which is really helpful.
Another display question - anyone know how you remove greasy fingerprints! If you apply any pressure, the display tends to go faint or even disappear although it seems to come back after a short time. Is a light application of a damp cloth the best way, or can you use glass cleaner etc?:1zhelp:

HHGTTG
02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
:confused:Thanks for all this info which is really helpful.
Another display question - anyone know how you remove greasy fingerprints! If you apply any pressure, the display tends to go faint or even disappear although it seems to come back after a short time. Is a light application of a damp cloth the best way, or can you use glass cleaner etc?:1zhelp:
A slightly damp cloth or microfibre cloth with perhaps a hint of washing up liguid would be OK. However, I have not to date had finger prints on mine only dust. If mine were now to get dusty, i would use, with care, one of those air dusters beloved of computer and gadget freaks, such as myself.

When you say, 'glass cleaner,' it depends on what you mean, as there are so many different types. Perhaps one used or sold by opticians would be OK but in my experience, having cleaned specs for over 60 years, their use tends to attract more dirt etc.

Typ 5K
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the information - that's made some things clearer. There seems to be another mode (speed limit warning?) with an "mph" in a circle icon - haven't worked that one out. Also a bit puzzled about when memory 2 gets reset...

So is there away to switch from LongLife to time & distance service schedules using the Midline MFD buttons?

HHGTTG
04-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the information - that's made some things clearer. There seems to be another mode (speed limit warning?) with an "mph" in a circle icon - haven't worked that one out. Also a bit puzzled about when memory 2 gets reset...

So is there away to switch from LongLife to time & distance service schedules using the Midline MFD buttons?
Speed limit warning means you can go up to the speed you want to be warned of and then you set that speed by pressing OK (I think) with that screen displayed. Therefore, when you subsequently reach that speed you get an audible warning - maybe a visual warning as well (I don't know).

Memory 2 (if you read the manual) automatically resets when accumulated mileage, volume of petrol, in litres, (and there may be another parameter), reaches 9,999 miles or 9,999 litres, whichever is reached first. Of course you can manually reset it anytime by selecting memory 2 and then holding 'OK' for a second or two.

"So is there away to switch from LongLife to time & distance service schedules using the Midline MFD buttons?"
I think the answer to this is a definite NO. Can only be done by the dealer using VAGCOM.