PDA

View Full Version : USB cable in armrest!

stewaran25
20-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi All

Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere, cant see it!

How do i use this cable, do i just use a memory stick with MP3's on?

Or do i plug my Ipod cable into the USB cable and use the Ipod?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

elidag
20-07-2009, 04:37 PM
The USB cable can be used with usb memory stick or usb harddrive. To use an Ipod you need the Ipod cable which should have also been supplied

stewaran25
20-07-2009, 05:02 PM
yes SHOULD have been supplied, Will be in the post tomorrow night i am assured

Robbie G
20-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Not another one!! I'm thinking about asking them to make sure before they deliver it tomorrow. Has anyone actually had one turn up with it in?! Surely this is a ploy from VWUK to try and claw more money from customers for accessories?

psmith98752
20-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised cars are still shipping without the iPod connectors! Will be a bit more difficult for me as my car is being delivered to me as it's through a broker so hopefully it will come with it, otherwise the broker has to speak to the dealer, to get the cable to the broker to forward it on to me!

elidag
20-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Not another one!! I'm thinking about asking them to make sure before they deliver it tomorrow. Has anyone actually had one turn up with it in?! Surely this is a ploy from VWUK to try and claw more money from customers for accessories?

My dealer had the otherside of the story. At handover your had to sign that you had received both cables as they were fed up supplying free cables to people they were sure got both but were claiming were not in the car.

andywell
20-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I never got my ipod cable either. I didn't realise for a couple of days but luckily the dealer (Verve - Wishaw) was OK about supplying one

stewaran25
20-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm surprised cars are still shipping without the iPod connectors! Will be a bit more difficult for me as my car is being delivered to me as it's through a broker so hopefully it will come with it, otherwise the broker has to speak to the dealer, to get the cable to the broker to forward it on to me!

This was exactly where i was, but i think this is actually better, as the leasing company buy loads of cars from the dealer rather than just the one!

so they get really good service

jonfun21
21-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Mine wasn't in the car when I picked it up; asked the salesman and he went and got one.....I purposely said that I wanted to use my Ipod in the car and I assumed it was all set up for that.

I agree it seems odd, especially when it states in the brochure you get both. If it is penny pinching its exceptionally tight as the cable probably cost £1.50 max to manufacture and its a £19k car!!

mad evo
21-07-2009, 11:00 AM
im picking up my new golf tomorrow, im going to take along my ipod and my usb memory stick and make sure both work!

paul.mgrath
21-07-2009, 08:44 PM
When i sent back my details so they could tax the car i also sent another page asking them to make sure the ipod cable was in the car and that it was programmed to autolock (had to have this done at 1st service on mk5 dunno if this is standard on mk6).

When i got the keys i only got 1 vw keyfob so asked for the second (2 keys, 2 fobs doesn't seem unreasonable to me) i then asked if the ipod cable was there which he duly pulled out of his bottom drawer!! and whether the car had bin programmed to auto lock which it had.

Seems to me they don't wanna give these leads out unless specifically asked (and asked in my case!)

the_crofter
21-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Both mine were waiting in the Glove Box when I picked my car up from the Dealer. Thumbs up to T L Darby in Burton On Trent then.

machine
22-07-2009, 02:08 AM
My dealer had the otherside of the story. At handover your had to sign that you had received both cables as they were fed up supplying free cables to people they were sure got both but were claiming were not in the car.

Why would anyone want two?

maybe if there was an ipod attached people would try it on but for a perfectly useless spare?

J400uk
26-07-2009, 03:49 PM

maybe if there was an ipod attached people would try it on but for a perfectly useless spare?

One is a USB cable and the other is an IPOD cable. They are not the same, both have differing uses.

bassmandan
26-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Mine were both in the car, but the iPod cable was in a sealed retail bag in the glovebox, so I wonder if the dealer had to order it cos VW didn't supply it with the car?

elidag
26-07-2009, 07:16 PM

they currently go for about £20 on ebay so presume people are selling them on

Foxtrot Oscar
27-07-2009, 08:48 AM
it was programmed to autolock

Can you explain what this is please? If it's what it sounds like, then it seems a bit risky!

J400uk
27-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Can you explain what this is please? If it's what it sounds like, then it seems a bit risky!

Autolock simply means the car locks itself when you drive of, to prevent an 'unauthorised person' from entering the vehicle.

paul.mgrath
27-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes the car autolocks the doors when you go over say 10mph. I swear by it now and the wife since some scallys tried to take the car off her whilst she was in it!!

Sorry for mentioning it but the car was an impreza sti5 but fortunately the alarm autolocked - thats what saved her ant car won't be without this feature now.

One thing better than aftermarket systems (like the clifford alarms etc) is if you let somebody out and then drive off the car will lock itself whereas the cliffords etc don't or mine didn't (havin said that it was 10 yrs ago) so maybe alarms have moved on since then.

machine
29-07-2009, 12:28 AM
One is a USB cable and the other is an IPOD cable. They are not the same, both have differing uses.

yeah but if the deal er thinks they have already supplied both and the customer requests another then the customer would have two of the same and three in total.

Farvs
30-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Is anyone able to post a pic. of the ipod cable? My ex-demo came with a black cable ending in a USB connection. This works with a memory stick but won't work with an Apple ipod cable as described above. Does the ipod cable plug into the black usb lead or do you need to swap cables?

bassmandan
30-07-2009, 09:04 PM
the ipod cable is identical to the usb cable, except it has an ipod connector instead of the usb socket. HTH

J400uk
31-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Is anyone able to post a pic. of the ipod cable? My ex-demo came with a black cable ending in a USB connection. This works with a memory stick but won't work with an Apple ipod cable as described above. Does the ipod cable plug into the black usb lead or do you need to swap cables?

These are the two cables, the one at the bottom is the standard USB cable which by the sounds of things you have, and the one closest to the keyboard is the iPod cable which you should have been supplied with.

http://i27.tinypic.com/zmavio.jpg