PDA

View Full Version : AC Problems - MkIV Golf tdI

Longmover
11-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't you know it, just as hayfever season starts I find out my AC has decided to die over the winter.

When I hit the AC button I hear the click and what sounds to me like some kind of fluid movement in the dash. When idling there is a slight difference in the revs (they drop slightly when the AC goes on) but no cold air.

Any ideas? I really hope this is a simple fix....

Longmover
11-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't you know it, just as hayfever season starts I find out my AC has decided to die over the winter.

When I hit the AC button I hear the click and what sounds to me like some kind of fluid movement in the dash. When idling there is a slight difference in the revs (they drop slightly when the AC goes on) but no cold air.

Any ideas? I really hope this is a simple fix....

Well, after some research I am hoping it just needs regassing. I haven't used it at all throughout the winter so that looks like the most likely cause.

Fingers crossed.

Niall76
11-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd check that the AC clutch is engaging. If the unit has lost all it's gas over winter then there's a leak somewhere, it'll just empty itself again over the next short while.

Longmover
11-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, from what I've found regassing is usually necessary around the 4 1/2 year mark, well mines pretty much bang on 4 1/2 years. Plus apparently if the AC isn't used over the winter the gas can reduce by as much as 15%. That's why I'm hoping it is just a regas issue.

How hard is it to check the clutch?