PDA

View Full Version : AC problems - MkIV tdI

Longmover
11-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't you know it, just as hayfever season starts I find out my AC has decided to die over the winter.

When I hit the AC button I hear the click and what sounds to me like some kind of fluid movement in the dash. When idling there is a slight difference in the revs (they drop slightly when the AC goes on) but no cold air.

Any ideas? I really hope this is a simple fix....

Eshrules
11-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Wouldn't you know it, just as hayfever season starts I find out my AC has decided to die over the winter.

When I hit the AC button I hear the click and what sounds to me like some kind of fluid movement in the dash. When idling there is a slight difference in the revs (they drop slightly when the AC goes on) but no cold air.

i think , but dont quote me on this, that it may need regassing, or checking at least to see if the system is running right... i do know that the AC system can develop leaks, much like any other hose system, so regassing isnt always the simple solution... i think it may be a garage jobby to check the pressure of the system, insufficient pressure would suggest lack of gas or a leak i presume....

simon74
12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
hi,after reading your probs with ac unit,id definetly get it checked out.i recently had to have a whole new compressor fitted on my euro style mkIV golf gt tdi,(climatronic),(not cheap either i might add)but if it does just need re-gassing then then this is not as expensive as a new unit.get it checked sooner rather than later is my suggestion.
simon.

Longmover
12-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to book it in to get it checked. Fingers crossed that it's just a regas!

Simon, if it is the compressor how much (roughly) am I looking at? Did you get it done by VW?

Cheers.

simon74
16-04-2007, 08:15 PM
hello mate,i paid £265.00 ish i think for a new compressor,it is a genuine one but not from vw garage,if it would have been it would have been a lot more,cant remember exact price i was quoted from vw though. i still have the tel no of supplier if you need?.
thanx simon

lordfixby
16-04-2007, 09:00 PM
[quote=Longmover;32642]Wouldn't you know it, just as hayfever season starts I find out my AC has decided to die over the winter.

Any ideas? I really hope this is a simple fix....[/quote
]

I've just had a similar problem in my audi. Dealer checked the pressure of the gas in the AC system. If the pressure is low and there are no leaks in the system this indicates it needs re-gassing. The cost is approx £75 to have the system re-gassed. The gas usually lasts 2 to 3 years depending upon how intensely you use the A/C.

coolauto.co.uk
19-04-2007, 08:34 AM
If there is a click from the engine bay and the revs rise then that suggests to me that there is pressure in your ac system. However, this doesn't mean it is fully charged with refrigerant. If you don't use the air con regularly, the seals and o-rings can dry out letting the refrigerant escape little by little.

There is a pressure switch in the ac pipe work that stops the compressor operating when the pressure drops too far. This is a safety feature to stop your compressor pumping all its lubricating oil out and eventually seizing.

The way I check ac systems is to put on gauges to determine the standing pressue, and then run the ac and see what happens to the gauge readings. 9 out of 10 times, all it needs is a regas. Make sure whoever you take the car to carries out a vacumm AND pressure leak test. That is the only approved way to test for a leak and you will be surprised to learn that the automatic ac machines used by most main dealers do not have any means of pressure testing!!!

Expect to pay between £60 and £80 for a proper job. For a straight forward regas without leak testing and no questions asked, it might only cost £30. As with most things though, if its half the price they're only doing half the job.

Hope you get it sorted.

denz
21-04-2007, 01:15 AM

the clicking sound to me sounds like the aircon compressor cutting in (it will cut in and out ,its normal when working properly ) ! the engine revs will always go slightly lower as the aircon is turned on as the engine is taking extra load when working. an aircon system will (according to bosch ) loose 10% of its gas every year . aircon needs to be used through the year to make it circulate if not it will leak out quicker ! if you have your aircon checked for leaks always have it pressure checked with ofn (oxygen free nitrogen) if you are worried about leaks . have the correct amount of r134a put back in (to little it wont be efficentand may not work and to much can cause compressor failure) not sure about fluid sound though sorry hope this helps