PDA

View Full Version : My first experience with clay and Zaino Z-5

curiousgeorge
19-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Finally got round to claying my car today and using the Zaino Z-5.

Here's what I did:

Washed the car with Turtlewax shampoo and rinsed. Used Meguiars detailing spray as the lubricant for the claying. Then washed off the stains/residue with Fairy liquid (my other shampoos claim to offer protection and I didn't want to add another layer of something before the Zaino Z-5 layer). I wasn't sure if the Z-5 needs to be applied on a wet or dry surface but I dried it with a microfibre cloth before applying the Z-5.

First point is that you need quite a bit of lubricant if the clay bar is not to stick. When I was re-doing the roof this was quite a problem and for some reason the bar kept sticking, causing clay marks on the surface. I then liberally applied the Fairy liquid wash water and used that as a lubricant for the clay. Worked much better, and much quicker to apply than the spray bottle. In hindsight I would have ditched the Meguiars detailing spray.

There was quite a bit of some brown residue coming off from the roof and the lower part of some of the doors. Elsewhere was pretty clean, just some black spots/debris. (My car is just over three years old).

I applied the Z-5 to the whole car before starting to buff off. It didn't buff off as easily as my old Turtle wax did (I used the same method with that). In terms of gloss it looks pretty much the same as the Turtle wax did. I'll never know if the claims about UV protection and such are true but time will tell whether it's as long lasting as it's supposed to be. I used about a quarter of the small bottle for the whole car.

I used Autoglym glass polish for the windows and Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care on the dash, this was probably the most impressive result - the centre consol area came up nicely. The more you use the more sheen you get.

EDIT: applied another coat of Z-5 yesterday, the surface was very hot and it didn't apply very easily, doesn't spread as well as you need to use more. Although it says it can be applied in sun or shade I would definitely apply only in shade.

Plife
20-07-2009, 11:11 AM
So where are the pics??

I personally would not use fairy liquid anywhere near my car!

Z-5 should be applied on a dry car so you got that right :beerchug:
Trick with clay is to keep it well lubricated otherwise it will mark. So after washing leave the car wet and still spray with a QD.

curiousgeorge
20-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I thought about taking photos but it didn't look as spectacular as when I Turtle waxed it, maybe it was the lighting, or the fact that before there were older layers of wax underneath, but Z-5 by itself is not known for its shine, and I think it needs another layer. Don't really want to spend more money on another product.

What's wrong with Fairy? It's recommended in the shampoo thread! Maybe it was a joke? I thought it would also be good for removing the last traces of wax without adding anything.

Applying a soapy solution with a wash mitt takes a couple of seconds, compared with pumping the trigger 50 times to coat the panel with detailing spray.

Plife
20-07-2009, 02:12 PM
What's wrong with Fairy? It's recommended in the shampoo thread! Maybe it was a joke? I thought it would also be good for removing the last traces of wax without adding anything.

Maybe I am wrong

http://www.zainoeurope.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=6 :beerchug:

curiousgeorge
20-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Maybe I am wrong

http://www.zainoeurope.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=6 :beerchug:
That's a good link, thanks.

I was almost right, I should have clayed after the fairy - might have made claying easier without any wax to cut through.

elitedetailer
27-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi

How long did you leave the Z-5 on for before buffing?

Also, you have used far too much if you used a 1/4 of the bottle. You shouldn't even be using a "centimetre's" worth of product per coat. Try and build up some layers also.

You are definately doing something wrong if you think the Turtlewax is "as good" as the Z-5 blows any of the Turtlewax into the weeds.

Good luck

Regards
EliteDetailer

curiousgeorge
27-07-2009, 03:38 PM
How long did you leave the Z-5 on for before buffing?

The time it look me to apply the Z-5 to the whole car, so about an hour. I didn't think this would be a problem because the Z-5 can be applied in sun as well as shade.

Also, you have used far too much if you used a 1/4 of the bottle. You shouldn't even be using a "centimetre's" worth of product per coat. Try and build up some layers also.

It's just an estimate, I didn't open it to check. I also think this depends on the cloth you use. I used a coarse weave cloth which would have absorbed more product. I used as much as was required, ie, when it was no longer applying on the bodywork I poured some more. It's quite thick and doesn't spread as well as a liquid.
I intend to apply another coat, but I'm a bit concerned about applying after Autoglym shampoo conditioner, as I think this adds a protective coating of its own, which the Z-5 might not bond well to.

You are definately doing something wrong if you think the Turtlewax is "as good" as the Z-5 blows any of the Turtlewax into the weeds.

I only said the sheen level was as good. I'm not doubting you about the quality of the Zaino over the Turtlewax, but you can't say that Turtlewax products don't provide a decent enough sheen, and that was my point.

I have to add though, the car is still looking good even after a week of rain and dust.

paul b
27-07-2009, 09:37 PM
As for the clay bar, I used the Meguiars smooth surface quick clay kit and had no problems.

You just have to be really generous when you spray the lubricant. There's plenty of it, just dollop it on!

The brown liquid thing is normal, happened to me, its just the excess lube mixing with all sorts of crap in your paintwork (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way!).

onzarob
27-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I would suggest you read through alot more threads. the sequence is

wash with a car shampoo...leave the fairy in the kitchen.

dry with a waffle weave towel ....gently.

clay with detailing spray....take your time, lightly rub until it feels smooth, use a microfibre towel to remove excess detailing spray.

Then polish with Z-5.

then wax to hold it all in place:D

HTH Rob

Ps at all times you are trying not to damage the paint, so go steady :D

curiousgeorge
27-07-2009, 11:41 PM
As for the clay bar, I used the Meguiars smooth surface quick clay kit and had no problems.

You just have to be really generous when you spray the lubricant. There's plenty of it, just dollop it on!

The brown liquid thing is normal, happened to me, its just the excess lube mixing with all sorts of crap in your paintwork (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way!).
The Meguiars was fine on the first pass of the claying, don't know what happened on the second. Seems a bit wasteful though, I just quick detailed my car this evening, much quicker and easier alternative to washing and the results are great. Might go and buy myself some more.

I would suggest you read through alot more threads. the sequence is

wash with a car shampoo...leave the fairy in the kitchen.

dry with a waffle weave towel ....gently.

clay with detailing spray....take your time, lightly rub until it feels smooth, use a microfibre towel to remove excess detailing spray.

Then polish with Z-5.

then wax to hold it all in place:D

HTH Rob

Ps at all times you are trying not to damage the paint, so go steady :D
I suggest you click on the link above to Zaino's own website that advises you should use Fairy to remove the old wax.

I've read far too many threads and seen all sorts of conflicting opinions on what people think you should and shouldn't do. I've also read you don't need wax on top of the Z-5.

You'll never find a definitive answer on the internet, you'll be there for ever driving yourself mad!

onzarob
28-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I suggest you click on the link above to Zaino's own website that advises you should use Fairy to remove the old wax.

Well that suprisd me, but a top tip to start with absolutely clean paint work, i did not that you will not be using it again though ;)

curiousgeorge
28-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Well that suprisd me, but a top tip to start with absolutely clean paint work, i did not that you will not be using it again though ;)
I was surprised as well to see that on the Zaino website, but it was the only way I could think of to get a squeaky clean finish, ie to ensure no wax or oils remained, and I didn't want the expense/hassle/risk of using something like TFR or Isopropynol.

elitedetailer
29-07-2009, 11:34 AM
The Meguiars was fine on the first pass of the claying, don't know what happened on the second. Seems a bit wasteful though, I just quick detailed my car this evening, much quicker and easier alternative to washing and the results are great. Might go and buy myself some more.

I've read far too many threads and seen all sorts of conflicting opinions on what people think you should and shouldn't do. I've also read you don't need wax on top of the Z-5.

You'll never find a definitive answer on the internet, you'll be there for ever driving yourself mad!

Hi

If he uses the Fairy very very infrequently, he will be fine.

Also, you don't need to "wax" over the Z-5. The Z-5 is a sealant and its not necessary to wax over all sealants, especially Z-5.

You can mix and match it with Z-2 which is perfectly fine.

Regards
EliteDetailer

elitedetailer
29-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Curiousgeorge,

With reference to the Autoglym shampoo, wipe the car down with Zaino Z-6 and then apply the Z-5. This will ensure the surface is well prepared for the next coat. When you have finished your Autoglym shampoo, you might want to try the Zaino Z-7 shampoo, its the best.

Also when applying the Z-5, you need to apply it super thin, almost as if your putting nothing on.

Good luck :beerchug:

Regards
EliteDetailer

curiousgeorge
29-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi Curiousgeorge,

With reference to the Autoglym shampoo, wipe the car down with Zaino Z-6 and then apply the Z-5. This will ensure the surface is well prepared for the next coat. When you have finished your Autoglym shampoo, you might want to try the Zaino Z-7 shampoo, its the best.

Also when applying the Z-5, you need to apply it super thin, almost as if your putting nothing on.

Good luck :beerchug:

Regards
EliteDetailer

Thanks. Funny you say that, I’ve just ordered Z-6!

If I understand you correctly, with a coat of Z-5 already applied to the car, after I next shampoo it I need to apply the Z6 to give a good base for the next coat of Z-5. Then a final coat of Z-6 for extra gloss and protection. Basically you need Z-6 between each layer of Z-5.

Then in future I shouldn’t need to use the Z5 very often, instead using the Z-6 as a gloss enhancer after washing, and for quick detailing between washes?

Finally, if I decide to use SRP then I need to apply Z6, then Z5, as the SRP removes the old coats of Z-5.