PDA

View Full Version : Water pump moral - AAZ engine

the_old_diver
19-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Just over a week ago 1996 Passat TD with replacement engine started leaking water. It was coming from somewhere near the water pump. You will know that the water pump is hidden behind an alloy plate behind the alternator, so is not easy to see clearly. Seemed to be coming from the gasket betweewn the two halves of the pump, so I grabbed the bull by the horns,disconnected the battery, removed the alternator, removed the alloy plate,and removed the three hoses.The three odd double -ended studs required me to use a ring spanner but they came out easily. There was staining at the bottom edge of the pump, near the pulley. I removed the dozen or so bolts holding the two sides together and gently prised it apart - it was smeared with red hermetite. I was surprised to see that there were two gaskets, a thin bendy metal one and a paper one. Must be the cause of the problem...
Cleaned up metal gasket and mating surfaces, discarding the paper gasket, then put it all back together using blue wossname. Got new O-ring, refitted pump to block and refitted three hoses, plate, alternator, belt, output cable and battery. Filled system with water, started her up and water poured out of pump at the shaft seal!
Took pump off again, examined closely and realised "no user serviceable parts inside".
Bought new pump £34.98, transferred thermostat housing and thermostat from old pump, fitted to engine>plate>alternator etc etc No Leaks! :-)
Took for test drive, water temp went up and up and blew water out through expansion tank, electric fan not coming on.
Walked 7 miles to factors, bought new thermostat £6, removed battery, alternator,plate,pump, installed new thermostat, replaced it all yet again and now it heats up to 90deg like it never did before and the electric fans come on at traffic lights!

If you fit a new water pump, stick a new thermostat in while you're at it. OD