PDA

View Full Version : Air filter change

tony_anon
11-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry if this has come up before, how often should the air filter be changed (A4 B6 2003 1.9TDI)? I had the 2nd longlife service (approx 38K miles) done back in December and having looked at the air filter, its filthy.
I'm not sure if the garage (***********) actually changed it now. I only noticed its condition while looking at my headlights for something else (took off the air duct on drivers side).

Also, I've noticed the engine whilst idling is a bit noisy with that diesel tapping sound you get (revs seem fine). Whilst driving sometimes acceleration is jerky. Air filter needs changing?

Niall76
11-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Check your service book - it's all in there.

tony_anon
16-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Niall,

According to the service book, for the A4, the filter element is replaced and the housing cleaned every 60K miles. So I guess that's in addition to LongLife service 3 @ 60K miles.

Marco34
17-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I binned the whole idea of longlife servicing from the day I got the car. I simply don't agree with it. The car has only done 15k and the car was 3.5 years old. The oil filter crumbled in my hands. Audi had never changed that!!!! Makes you wonder if yours has been serviced and they've not changed the filter!! Worth a look!!

An engine requires inspection more regularly than either 2 years or X miles. I change all my filters every 12 months inc fuel filter. Have they changed your fuel filter? It should look nice and clean if they have. If the air filter hasn't been change by the *********** then that just shows the value of a ******* stamp!! zero.

It's easy to get a Hengst from Eurocar parts and change yourself, both fuel and air. Could help the jerkyness.

On top of that I've heard of incorrect oil going into diesels also from ********!! I know my car has been serviced properly only when I've done it myself. I always aim on the side of caution/overkill.
Regards

skymaster
17-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree Marco, for the price of a filter you may as well change it. I also cant stomach the idea of the same oil being in my car for 2 years or 20,000 miles. I used to own a V5 golf 10v at one stage. I worked in a dealers for a while. Every one that came in for a service that had the same engine as mine ran like poo. Mine was just lovely! I changed the oil air and fuel filters and oil every 5k at most. It was the best V5 I ever drove!

Niall76
17-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Changing the oil filter and oil every 5k is the way to owning an almost everlasting engine

Good work fella

Marco34
19-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Skymaster / Niall

At last I find like minded people on servicing. I cringe when I here of oil being in the engine for 2 years or 20k. Since owning the A4 I've changed the oil and filter every 5k or 6 months. I do alot of short journeys to work so I find this the best option.

Interesting point about your V5 Golf Skymaster!!

skymaster
19-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I think part of the issue these days is that motor manufacturers want to be able to advertise longer intervals for servicing. I know at my local dealers the sales team always go on about how great longlife servicing is where as the service advisers dont like it. It must appeal to company car buyers a lot as well.

While modern egnines seem to be able to put up with a lot of abuse and neglect these days I think the best way to keep it running well is to look after it and keep it on top form. It stands to reason that fresh oil and new filters will result in better running and performance than 1 year old ones. I guess it's not going to be very noticable when driving to most people.

Marco34
19-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Exactly, couldn't agree more. Most people don't understand mechanics anyway and are happy that if the dealership says the car is fine, then they are.

RickT
20-04-2007, 03:35 PM
my Petrol A4 was always done on LONG LIFE from Audi..

since then i do the service my self and just reset the servicer light.. works out at about every 10k

RicKT

denz
20-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Sorry if this has come up before, how often should the air filter be changed (A4 B6 2003 1.9TDI)? I had the 2nd longlife service (approx 38K miles) done back in December and having looked at the air filter, its filthy.
I'm not sure if the garage (***********) actually changed it now. I only noticed its condition while looking at my headlights for something else (took off the air duct on drivers side).

Also, I've noticed the engine whilst idling is a bit noisy with that diesel tapping sound you get (revs seem fine). Whilst driving sometimes acceleration is jerky. Air filter needs changing?

like other posts i think long life is a bit much !check/change the air filter every 10k . i work in a garage and when we service pd tdi's we HOOVER the stuff out that those engines suck up . just think what it's be like after 20k odd (fag butts,leaves ,condom wrapper!! umpa loompa ha ha ) hope this helps

p.s check air mass meter and for air leaks on vacuum pipes and hoses ,also check this forum for advice