PDA

View Full Version : Car Door Protectors/Guards for Golf Mk VI

icebun
19-07-2009, 01:43 AM
While I am still deciding on my Golf (test drive next week), can anyone recommend a model of door protector/guard?

On my current Golf Mk VI there is a small enough gap between the door and frame to insert a door guard.

Looking a the Mk VI the seams look even tighter, preventing the use of such a guard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

zf44
20-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't bother with the plastic guards, they all cause rust as it traps rain water. I would opt for the side strips (shown below) which I understand are a dealer fitted option but best to get the strips painted though unless you buy a black or dark blue Golf.

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=1

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=3

icebun
20-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info ZF,

Is that a picture of your car?

I was wondering on this dealer fit (which I believe uses some form of adhesive) whether the install location i.e. height can be specified.

Looking at the picture, the guards appear higher than on the Golf V.

By the way, I am hoping to go for Tornado Red as the colour.

zf44
20-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Not my car I'm afraid, it was one of the demo models at my local dealer - now sold. I was waiting for the GTD but having test driven it I was very disappointed :(. Looking at my options now........

They appear to be 'stuck on strips' and it always better to ask the dealer about your preferred options. Leaving out the side strips is one (of the many) cost cutting options on the production of the Mk6.

Dave B
21-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Don't bother with the plastic guards, they all cause rust as it traps rain water. I would opt for the side strips (shown below) which I understand are a dealer fitted option but best to get the strips painted though unless you buy a black or dark blue Golf.

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=1

http://www.supercar.co.uk/UsedCarImage.aspx?DefaultImage=allapprovedcars&Width=369&Height=242&Id=600596430&View=3
It looks far better with those door protectors.

I can't understand why VW left them off, oh wait yep its another cost option.

psmith98752
21-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Far better? It looks cheap and nasty IMO. Who wants a big plastic/rubber bit down their car?

knt
21-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Maybe this helps with those small door dents to the side.

Dave B
21-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Maybe this helps with those small door dents to the side.

I agree with you, the strips give some protection to the sides of the door, but also they give protection to the edge of the door when opening in tight situations.

psmith98752
21-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Personally, I think the door protectors protect your door from when you open it onto another car.

As every car is different, it will be a different height for every car that sticks out the most. Therefore, I don't see this protecting the car from others.

At the very least, they should be body coloured, like they are on my current Polo!

Dave B
21-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Personally, I think the door protectors protect your door from when you open it onto another car.

As every car is different, it will be a different height for every car that sticks out the most. Therefore, I don't see this protecting the car from others.

At the very least, they should be body coloured, like they are on my current Polo!

Plastic opening against another door absorbs some of the impact, where as metal against metal.........................

Typ 5K
19-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Well I've certainly seen evidence in the past of rubbing strips catching what would otherwise have probably ended up as dings in the door skin.

By the way, has anyone bought these door guards for a Golf VI? Do they come with some kind of template to align them properly, given the lack of reference points on the doors?

Dave B
19-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Well I've certainly seen evidence in the past of rubbing strips catching what would otherwise have probably ended up as dings in the door skin.

By the way, has anyone bought these door guards for a Golf VI? Do they come with some kind of template to align them properly, given the lack of reference points on the doors?

The plastic bump strips have a little bit of give in them, metal to metal is the worst and assures dents in the doors.