PDA

View Full Version : 1998 1.8T - couple of problems, please help!

Tinyaw
18-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone,

first post here having just picked up an '98 A3 1.8T yesterday and couldn't find the answer to any of these problems in other threads, so any idea of solutions and indication of rough costs to repair would be great.

1 - Standard Concert stereo has a problem with the volume control. Keeps going to MAX volume every time I try and change it, turn the knob only two or three steps to turn the volume down and it suddenly deafens me and is completely temperamental. Any ideas if this is common/fixable apart from replacing the whole head unit?

2 - Climate control doesn't work every time and when it does it sounds like it's struggling and not really blowing out anything. Guy I bought it off said that the MOT mechanic thought it could be simply a motor change needed, but anyone got an idea how much that costs?

3 - Computer display on dashboard (between revs and speedo) is only half working. Is this an easily fixable problem or is the LED part of it probably screwed permanently?

Thanks for any replies! :biggthump
Adam

SEMKY
18-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey There,

Problem 1..Volume Control. This is very common on the concert units. To cut a long story short, the processor within needs replacing...look up a company called OE electronics....they do it for about 80 quid I think....or you could replace it with an aftermarket one...but these never look right in my opinion.

Problem 3..The LED display. Again this seems to be fairly common. Apparently the LED de-laminates but can be repaired/replaced with a steady hand...although I don't know any more about it...sorry.

Sorry can't offer anymore info, but quite sure someone will be able to help soon!

;)

markyR
23-07-2009, 01:18 PM
the led display can be repairedby removing the display and heating up the dry solder joints with a heat gun there is a sticky thread on audi-sport.net in the a3 8l section.