PDA

View Full Version : 09 Golf Gt TDi

timo'sullivan
18-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi There.

I have a brand new golf GT and my ipod displays "Device not supported"
The MEDIA IN cable has been supplied with the Golf and it seemed all I had to do was connect my ipod via the ipod cable into the media in cable supplied.

I've a 80G classic . . . . . .has anybody got any ideas for me?. ..... Am I using the wrong cable?

Thanks Tim

james_tiger_woo
18-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I had this same problem with my iPod - I think it's the wrong cable and your dealer might be able to help.

(I didn't, however, fix it as I just replaced the Stereo for a Clarion one that works better than the RCD310)

timo'sullivan
18-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Cheers James.

Did yours also display "Device not supported" ?

psmith98752
18-07-2009, 11:38 AM
You should plug the ipod directly into the MDI. One end of the cable plugs into the MDI, the other into the iPod. You do not use the USB cable and then plug the iPod in via it's USB cable.

Nightowl4933
18-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Tim,

Nice car you've got there - I know coz I've got one :biglaugh:!

My iPod is the same model as yours, but it worked first time - I did get the salesman to 'demonstrate' how to connect it all up, though, so if there had been a problem it was theirs and not mine.

I'm not sure if it would make a difference, but is your iPod set up to work with iTunes or as a Windows device? As I say, I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I wonder if the controls wold differ? You may need to connect it via Aux In rather than the iPod control.

Just a thought,

Pete

timo'sullivan
18-07-2009, 09:18 PM
But at the end of the MDI is a USB connection port. It is physically not possible to connect the ipod directly into this. With the cable supplied with the car it looks as if another cable is required but it fails to work.

james_tiger_woo
18-07-2009, 09:30 PM
You should plug the ipod directly into the MDI. One end of the cable plugs into the MDI, the other into the iPod. You do not use the USB cable and then plug the iPod in via it's USB cable.

The cable I got had a USB connector on it

Cheers James.

Did yours also display "Device not supported" ?

Yep :(

dieselduncmk6
18-07-2009, 09:35 PM
But at the end of the MDI is a USB connection port. It is physically not possible to connect the ipod directly into this. With the cable supplied with the car it looks as if another cable is required but it fails to work.

HI there,

I'm pretty sure, and think the brochure says too, that the car should come with 2 cables; 1 iPOD and 1 USB.

I also noted in the dealers showroom GT that they were both present in the armrest.

Guess I'll find out for sure when I pick up my GT in couple of weeks.

dunc.

Nightowl4933
18-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Ah, the penny drops...

There have been a number of discussions fere about this, and most dealers would offer the iPod cable in addition to the standard USB cable.

Both of these (one at a time!) should plug in to the MDI interface and the other end to your device, but they are not interchangable - I think you need the iPod cable if you want to use an iPod. The bad news is the iPod cable costs about (someone said) about £60 as an after purchase!

Talk to your dealer - and good luck!

Pete

paul.mgrath
19-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I've got both cables thanks to advice on this forum and i must say that mine says device not supported with the ipod cable plugged into the mdi.

However the iphone i have does work fine with the controls and plays as normal. However it does say do i want to run in flight safe mode to which i always push no. Maybe the ipod is in this mode and will not operate properly until the answer to this question has been given to the iphone.

I would hope the dealer would give out any ipod cables as a good will gesture if any haven't been given out with the car. It is my understanding they are free with the GT don't know about any other models.

dieselduncmk6
19-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Ah, the penny drops...

There have been a number of discussions fere about this, and most dealers would offer the iPod cable in addition to the standard USB cable.

Both of these (one at a time!) should plug in to the MDI interface and the other end to your device, but they are not interchangable - I think you need the iPod cable if you want to use an iPod. The bad news is the iPod cable costs about (someone said) about £60 as an after purchase!

Talk to your dealer - and good luck!

Pete

OK - checked brochure again, and it definately says "with iPOD and USB cables" so I reckon any dealer who fails to supply both, or says one, and there's a need to purchase the other, is taking the yellow stuff. I'll pick mine up soon - and any sign of this and I'll take it up with VW UK, as web and brochure definately says you get both cables.

tigercrane
19-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I've got both cables thanks to advice on this forum and i must say that mine says device not supported with the ipod cable plugged into the mdi.

However the iphone i have does work fine with the controls and plays as normal. However it does say do i want to run in flight safe mode to which i always push no. Maybe the ipod is in this mode and will not operate properly until the answer to this question has been given to the iphone.

I would hope the dealer would give out any ipod cables as a good will gesture if any haven't been given out with the car. It is my understanding they are free with the GT don't know about any other models.

I got both cables with my golf! I bought a 32gb USB stick from hong kong which holds about 3000 tunes, works perfectly in my golf with USB cable.

Nightowl4933
19-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I was wondering about this...

Can an iPod be used in different modes? I seem to remember an iPod can be used with Windows Media Player if you don't want to use iTunes, I wonder if that might be the problem? I've already mentioned it, but perhaps I'm being patted on the head (metaphorically) for being a bit 'mad' :confused:

Pete

paul.mgrath
19-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Dunno Pete, seems to me that you can only update the ipods with itunes?? I used to always have sony walkmans but the missus bought me a classic and i have always used itunes since then.

Perhaps we all should subscribe to an ipod user group or even better we should RTFM:beerchug:.