PDA

View Full Version : Sharan TDI Starting problems

Lawrence
10-04-2007, 10:31 PM
:1zhelp: I have a 1996 VW Sharan 1.9TDI 90bhp. Recently i have had difficulty starting the car, the engine turns over but doesn't start on key (Needs a bump start). I have changed Glow plugs, temperature sensor, fuel filter, air filter and cambelt 11,000 miles ago. It has recently been in for a diagnostic test with no success @ 83 pound ph any idea's?

Dizzydave
17-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Wonder if the battery is tired. Just enough juice to turn the engine over but the voltage drops too low for the computer to work properly! Same thing may happen if the battery connectors are loose or too dirty. By bump starting the computer has all the available voltage so starts. HTH

stingsv
18-05-2007, 11:41 PM
hi
i have the same car and year i have had the same problem for the last 6 months on and of, i had the alternator tested it is charging at full output, i had the battery changed last week as it was showing it was not holding charge, paid £80.00 for a new battery it has been fine all week up until this morning when i did not have even enough power to even light up the dashboard lights i now have nowhere else to look even the garages say it is drayning from somewhere.
steve

Lawrence
20-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Wonder if the battery is tired. Just enough juice to turn the engine over but the voltage drops too low for the computer to work properly! Same thing may happen if the battery connectors are loose or too dirty. By bump starting the computer has all the available voltage so starts. HTH

i have taken to the car to an independent garage and he done 1 1/2 hour diagnostics test and they said the starter motor was pulling 300amps so they advised to change, after completion there was no difference in starting, so they then done a compression test and said ok then said injector pump faulty, so had that changed all the above for the cost of 1500 pounds, the next day the car didn't start 1st thing in the morning blowing out blue smoke so was not happy at spending all this money, spoke to the garage and said bring it back and they advanced the timming on the pump, collected it yesturday, so i have been out this morning and it started 1st time!!! ( i now hope this has solved the problem) thank you for your information

Lawrence
20-05-2007, 09:24 AM
hi
i have the same car and year i have had the same problem for the last 6 months on and of, i had the alternator tested it is charging at full output, i had the battery changed last week as it was showing it was not holding charge, paid £80.00 for a new battery it has been fine all week up until this morning when i did not have even enough power to even light up the dashboard lights i now have nowhere else to look even the garages say it is drayning from somewhere.
steve

i have taken to the car to an independent garage and he done 1 1/2 hour diagnostics test and they said the starter motor was pulling 300amps so they advised to change, after completion there was no difference in starting, so they then done a compression test and said ok then said injector pump faulty, so had that changed all the above for the cost of 1500 pounds, the next day the car didn't start 1st thing in the morning blowing out blue smoke so was not happy at spending all this money, spoke to the garage and said bring it back and they advanced the timing on the pump, collected it yesterday, so i have been out this morning and it started 1st time!!! ( i now hope this has solved the problem) thank you for your information

vauxmania
04-07-2007, 06:05 PM
i also had a similar problem, it will start all day, until next morning wont start. every morning same problem, spent thousands with dealers, electricians and garages, had injectors done, new mass sensor, egr valve, glow plugs, starter etc etc etc etc.

however i decided to get my hands dirty and work it out myself, it turned out to be a faulty rubber washer on the fuel filter (50p) the problem dissapeared as the fuel would leak air, changed the fuel filter, problemo solved

cbrpaul
18-07-2007, 10:39 PM
yes non starting problems can be caused by many many different things !!! there is no 1 correct answer for every car !!!