PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum leak

andrewaudi
10-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

My car runs a bit on the rough side, especially at idle and low power (sitting at 30 in 4th).

I think it may be a Vacuum leak, but I'm not too sure. The reason I think it's this is that as soon as I cut the engine, the break pedal goes rock solid, no assistance at all, and it does that without me touching the pedal at all.

Does this sound like right? If it is a Vacuum leak, where's the most likely place on these 2.3 engines (10v)? Does anyone have a diagram of the system? I don't really have much of a clue under the bonnet of this thing, but am willing to try!

Any help would be appreciated!

Col
10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Knackered servo diaphragm would be my guess.

andrewaudi
11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
The thing is starting to run a bit rougher, missing every now and again. I have replaced the dizzy cap and arm (which were wrecked) and replaced the air filter (which was blocked).

I tried the ol carb cleaner on the vacuum hoses (or the one that runs from a pump thing on the side of the engine to the servo) with no results, I also sprayed the servo with no difference in engine racket.

I heard that these engines were supposed to be quite high pressure, so I imagine a small leak could still cause problems?

I have taken the plugs out and they seem fine. I have heard that cleaning out the idle valve could help, but I'm no so sure on that one.

I guess this is the gizmo on top of the large rubber hose going into the inlet?

If I hold the revs up a little on the engine, it will eventually slow back to idle without me letting go.

Any help would be 100% appreciated!