PDA

View Full Version : Question ARE you being flashed and other concerns?

mohpr131
17-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys.

Few questions:

---1 I have the xenon led lights and every time i am driving on the freeway i get people flashing on their high beams once i get in front of them. I certainly dont have the high beams on while driving. I was wondering do the headlights adjust automatically, as i was told they were self levelling or is there something wrong with my lights?

--- 2 I have got some water condensation marks left on the glass panel of the Xenon lights.. not many though. Had this checked and the audi service department said they can air them out and reseal. Should this be acceptable ot lights be replaced??

---3 I have noticed as well that my LED lights on the right side seemed to radiate light which is less white than the LEft hand side. Has anyone else noticed the slight difference in colour?

Thanks for your reply guys.. I would be greatful for answers as i feel Audi service depaerment arent open for assessment. :confused:

mkc
17-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I think the daylight running lights do result in flashes from other road users. They can be fairly bright if you look at them directly and if the road is bumpy it is possible that the lights are dropping in and out of view in the rearview mirror of the guy in front. I actually turned my LEDs off for a few weeks when we had our summer last month. Now its monsoon rain again ive switched them back on.

Ive certainly been flashed and had hand signals in my direction as I pass. Im not sure if thats because its an Audi or the LED lights are on. However, now that Porsche, Merc, Aston Martin and more Audi models have these lights I think people need to accept them sooner rather than later regardless how you feel about them.

The LED lights do have two levels, one normal and one that dips when you signal/indicate or just have the sidelights on. Is it possible that yours is stuck with one on each level? Pull up in front of a window and play with the lights and see what happens.

There are a number of people on here with Xenon condensation problems. They can leave condensation due to the high temp that they run at. The unit is not sealed like traditional lights and in my view nothing to worry about but if they are leaving marks on the inside of the glass thats not good

http://www.wak-tt.com/xenon/xenonmist.htm

mohpr131
18-07-2009, 12:29 AM
I checked my LED lights do become dimmer when i indicate.

Also with the self leveling xenon lights... How much are they suppose to adjust (move) when driving in the night? As they are said to be self levelling.

B8 TDI
18-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Self leveling lights on a bumpy road may might give the person in front of you the impression that you are flashing your lights at them.

mohpr131
18-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Ya i agree about the bumpy roads.

But the freeway i drive on is practical a straight road which has slopes that gradually change. No bumps. And still get the other drivers puting their high beams on.

What is worse is that i have had a truck do it to me... and you know how bright the high beams are on TRUCKS.

Anyways i think people should consider the new xenon as road worthy and get used to them, they have been around now for quite some time.

Jop
18-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Also with the self leveling xenon lights... How much are they suppose to adjust (move) when driving in the night? As they are said to be self levelling.
The self levelling happens when the lights come on, you can see this happen in slow moving traffic on the car infront. This action would probably look like a flash to the driver. But they don't continue to adjust when you are moving unless they go off and come on again.
Some people have reported thier main beam (not full beam) to be too bright or misaligned. Their "neutral position" can be adjusted by your dealer.

They led's dim a little when the main beam is on.

Red 2
18-07-2009, 01:36 PM
And I've seen plenty of new trucks with LEDs so in a very short time, they will be commonplace.

Must be lucky, never been flashed after 16 months of running an SE with Xenons/LEDs.

walkaboutmx5
18-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I was told by an Audi dealer that the lights were not adjustable .This is rubbish previous posts show the two white plastic screws on the headlamp units ,park it by your garage doors and mark the level with a bit of tape then turn the screws and you will see the difference worked for me

mohpr131
18-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Um its suprising that lights would be out of alingment when the car is brand new!

Hehe only time i have seen the lights move is when i start the car in the night. Havent noticed it slow moving traffic

JUst a thought ----- Wonder how bright the high beam is of the audi ?? haha Maybe when you get flashed pull up behind them and flash them back .... :P

Neerazan
19-07-2009, 02:57 AM
I have DRL LEDs and Xenons on my car and I get flashed constantly be people who think I am on high beam when i'm not.

I usually flash them back with the real high beam and they shut up.

And yes my headlight self-adjustment happens when the lights come on for the first time and then doesn't change really.

I agree that people see a bright light and assume that it's on full beam without really considering that it might be a car with Xenons.

A1exp
23-07-2009, 09:00 AM
When my A4 arrived last year the headlights were set slightly too high.

I had them back to the dealers and the turned them way down.

I fiddled with the manual adjust under the bonnet a few times to raise them slightly again and they're fine now, nobody has flashed my in months.

martinboz
28-07-2009, 01:05 PM
People stopped flashing me after I adjusted the lights myself. This took a matter of seconds by parking in front of garage doors and adjusting white screws on top of lighting units (under bonnet).

quiel_type_r
03-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Hi,

The DRL (LED's) actually have 3 brightness modes:

1) Light switch OFF position w/ DRL ON. With this setting, the LED's are at their brightest

2) Parking lights ON.

3) When indicating and LEDs ON. LED's at their dimmest.

I also had problems with different colour temperature of the LED DLR's and sent Audi UK photos of the difference -- they kept telling me that it's 'normal' to have slightly different coloured ones, but I did not back down :P

They replaced both headlights and they are now the same colour :D

Kel