PDA

View Full Version : ##B6 Front Headlight & Tail light REPLACEMENT Guide! ## UPDATED> GUIDE NOW UPLOADED

RickT
10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Right.... as so many of you have been asking "how do i change the headlight bulbs and rear tails lights... i thought i would throw a quick guide together..

Also... the guide for the tail lights is for the avant... however from that im sure you will figure out how to do the saloon... (just open the lugs covered in carpet instead of the plastic opens..

Open and save/print the PDF to help you!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Rickt

IF YOU DONT HAVE ADOBE READER YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FROM HERE
Adobe - Reader download thank you (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_servefile.html?option=full&order=1&type=&language=English&platform=WinXPSP2&esdcanbeused=1&esdcanhandle=0&hasjavascript=1)

Sam
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
And if you don't want bloated Adobe software may I recommend Foxit Reader.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

I have now removed Adobe from all of my office and home machines, saving up to 70MB space on each <smug>

RickT
25-04-2007, 11:05 PM
The guide has now been uploaded..

RicKT

dub love
29-05-2007, 05:22 PM
i have changed my headlight bulbs for the Hid ultra blue, or sumfin like that. it was easy:biglaugh: . the standard bulbs i found to be toffee, living in the country side, it was difficult driving home late at night especially when there's a cheb end driving a pulsar trying to keep up behind you. so i just replaced them with them blue vision bulbs there definately brighter, dont no about 40 percent though.

:beerchug:

(Shuffle Records)

Yosemite Sam
04-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the pointers - the photo's make this a cake walk. lamp cost a quid, and no need to drive out to AUDI garage - took 30 seconds to fit. nice one!

RickT
15-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the pointers - the photo's make this a cake walk. lamp cost a quid, and no need to drive out to AUDI garage - took 30 seconds to fit. nice one!

#

good stuff!

RickT

mikebyrne
04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
will this guide help me at all with a 2000(W) Saloon??

cheekeemonkey
08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the guide - v helpful - easy when you know how

Thanks again

CM

RickT
21-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the guide - v helpful - easy when you know how

Thanks again

CM

no problem..

over the last few days i have had a few emails from members asking for the guide..

We would welcome your feedback.

RickT

Friday
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
You are a star .. Thanks for providing such clear info.. Thats before I have attempted to change the bulb mind..!

RickT
15-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Hi people..

Over recent weeks i have recieved over 30 emails asking for the guide to be sent to them..

As i dont have a problem sending this, i would just like to confirm if you all are able to download this correctly??

All looks ok from y end, but just wanted to check incase i miss an email from you.

RickT

skgwho
22-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi people..

Over recent weeks i have recieved over 30 emails asking for the guide to be sent to them..

As i dont have a problem sending this, i would just like to confirm if you all are able to download this correctly??

All looks ok from y end, but just wanted to check incase i miss an email from you.

RickT

I can't download it for some reason. It says I don't have enough priviledges. I am a new member of the forum but does it mean I can't access it?

Dram300
25-09-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm a newbie, can't download it either

RickT
25-09-2007, 11:18 PM
if i remember correctly you need to have at least 10 posts counts to download things from the site.

2 options,

Have a bit of a chat in the Chat section to lift your post count or drop us a email and i will send it to you tomorrow.

RickT

skgwho
26-09-2007, 10:26 AM
thanks a lot. unfortunately don't have internet in new house yet but shall chat soon. appreciate the reply.

RickT
01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
thanks a lot. unfortunately don't have internet in new house yet but shall chat soon. appreciate the reply.

Cheers

Rick

Cincinnati_Wit
03-10-2007, 07:02 PM
So do you have any wiring tips for getting both rear fogs to activate? I'm in the process of putting all the same brand/type of lights in the front (can't stand how the high beams and fogs are yellow with the bright white headlamps) and want to rewire the back so people stop telling me my brake lights are broken.

RickT
20-10-2007, 11:45 PM

just to let you know.. all new members will now be able to download content..

Rick

RickT
20-10-2007, 11:47 PM
So do you have any wiring tips for getting both rear fogs to activate? I'm in the process of putting all the same brand/type of lights in the front (can't stand how the high beams and fogs are yellow with the bright white headlamps) and want to rewire the back so people stop telling me my brake lights are broken.

no wiring diagrams..

however.. i think the wiring is already there.. just not connected... take part the left cluster... have a look and compare to the right cluster..

however.. on these clusters its best to only have one rear fog light on the right.. otherwise it looks like your braking...

Rick

RickT
21-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Link on page one updated.

Rick

Cincinnati_Wit
21-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, yea, you're right about it looking like the brakes are on. I had a rewired '03 A6 that had the rear fogs mounted away from the cluster and quite honestly, I thought it looked awesome. When the brakes were activated, all five were blinding and while on the highway at night, it kept people from tailgating.

The S4 on the otherhand, has them mounted inside the cluster and the very first day I had it (with rear fogs on through force of habit) I had two people warn me that my brake lights were out. I'll fiddle with the wiring when I get home this week.

Dwarner
21-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks to the guide I got my brake lights changed. Both were out at the time and only the spoiler one was working in my avant.

Accidentally dropped the bolt inside the car when taking it off and had to screw the metal list at the back of the boot out to get the bolt back.

All in all took me 35mins at the first time. Second time should take less than 15mins since now I know how to do it.

Thanks again for awesome guide.

Mac Kerr
30-10-2007, 11:24 PM
just to let you know.. all new members will now be able to download content..

RickAs of Oct 30 2007 that is not yet true. I am newly registered, and logged in, and am unable to download your pdf file. I'd hate to have to run on at the mouth for 10 posts just to be able to dl from this site., although the minimum number of posts to post a classified is brilliant. I am the lead moderator at a pro sound site and that is a big issue, flyby Chinese cell phone sales companies.

Thanks for this site.

Mac

Portugazzer
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi I have an 03 2.5Tdi A4 Avant Quattro, I have removed the headlamps (lhd) to replace them with rhd ones. No problem with switching all the bulbs over but I am having a problem removing the rectangular wired unit (which sits in front of the bulbs) in the main beam/side light compartment from the octagonal headlamp height adjuster (I think this is what it is!). It has a small terminal block with 3 wires attached. Can you give any advice on removing it as I afraid of breaking it!

I have also noticed that the dipped beam light units on the lhd headlamps are located 180 degrees different from the rhd ones, it would appear that if you loosen off the 3 retaining nuts you can you can lift and spin the light unit thru 180 degrees and convert the lights from lhd to rhd and vice versa however there is a spring clip which locates it and I haven't figured out how to free it off yet. Can you help on this as well.

Thanks in advance

frank ward
04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I have just looked this post up again - An Audi Service Manager talked me through the front lamp change routine in a Motorway Services Car Park the day before Easter after he had recovered from the laughing fit when I tried to book it in to the Audi Dealer to have it done. I have done the rear one before - with a laptop in the boot at the bottom of the garden - and thought I could remember this time - I couldn't so thanks for the most understandable advice ever.

Frank Ward - Harrogate

RicKT[/quote]

RickT
04-11-2007, 09:09 PM
As of Oct 30 2007 that is not yet true. I am newly registered, and logged in, and am unable to download your pdf file. I'd hate to have to run on at the mouth for 10 posts just to be able to dl from this site., although the minimum number of posts to post a classified is brilliant. I am the lead moderator at a pro sound site and that is a big issue, flyby Chinese cell phone sales companies.

Thanks for this site.

Mac

if you can let me know what the error is in the form of dropping a message to me i will look into this further.

Thanks

Rick

fz0rb4
21-11-2007, 11:17 AM
:beerchug: Execellent & Thanks - just changed the front near side headlight.
Just saved £60 - its a con how much Audi charge when I challenged them they said it was a fixed price for the labour. They also reckon its a half hour job.

bayside blue
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep cheers, i just sorted mine this morning, had to swap a headlight as the last one had algae in because the last person to do it mislocated the covers with the seals. Bet it was an Audi ***********! for the reason above... how much the new part costs plus the labour!

Next i've got to sort what the last owner plum did to the headunit so i can get my rear speakers working again.

Robinho
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Hello. The headlamps guide is useful. I knew hot to change the rear lamps on my A4 1.8T Avant (end 2002), but I wonder if you would have a complete DIY Guide for this model? Mainly I looking for the guide to help me to check up all
basic things that i could do myself (fluids, filsters, and perhaps spark plugs, etc.) and more.

palmapen
13-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Just finished replacing a head light and stop light bulbs. Thank you for your great information. This is my first time with this forum and a big help. I have a 1970 Mustang and use Vintage Mustang Forum with all my repairs and mods. :biglaugh:The internet is great.

Jim Gall
palmapen@comcast.net

jfatsipga
25-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Rick
I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T, after reading your thread, I found only 3 screws to remove for passenger side access to head lamp. 2 on top, (1 on bottom on fender side of headlamp). All threads lead me to beleive there were 4. Succesful change but am worried about missing screw.

Robinho
25-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Hello friends. I am looking for a General Maintanance Guide, online free, on how I can do check ups, etc on my own. Any links you can suggest. Thank you

RickT
26-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Rick
I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T, after reading your thread, I found only 3 screws to remove for passenger side access to head lamp. 2 on top, (1 on bottom on fender side of headlamp). All threads lead me to beleive there were 4. Succesful change but am worried about missing screw.

Hi,

If its a A4 - B6, there should be 4 screws.. 2 on the front,, 2 hidden behind..

When the head light is remove you will see the 2 clips for securing the 2 rear screws.

Rick

Cmack
03-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the guide, i have a 2006 A4 2.0T S-Line with automatic leveling bi-xenon headlights and the guide is the first i have found after hours and hours of searching online.

But i want to ask if anyone has used it for replacing the xenon bulbs in the newer B7 A4's? I found online that my car uses the DS1 bulb and found a seller on Ebay that sells them for 100 a pair which is allot cheaper than the 200 Audi wants to replace just one, so 400 total.

So has anyone had any luck using this guide for my type of car? I just want to be sure because the Audi service department made it sound like they are the ONLY people who can change the bulbs.

samuelvella
05-01-2008, 02:12 PM
thanks for your pdf. when i opened the hood, i thought i can take everything apart blindly, or i can look for a forum. your instructions were perfect. thanks again.

weeleigh
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Hi, thanks for the instructions. Managed to change the brake light bulb on my 03 Avant today, the instructions were spot on.

One point I would make - the screw holding the unit is about 2 inches long. When I was undoing it I wasn't sure of its length and kept turning it slowly until I realised it was out as far as it would go. I then used a pair of long nosed pliers to carefully withdraw it without dropping it inside the bodywork.

Everything else was as mentioned, although I had a job removing the assembly holding the bulbs from the light cluster (black in my case not white) as it was very tight. Once partly freed however the rest comes away easily. It didn't help that it was freezing today in Aberdeenshire and my hands were slowly becoming numb!

Thanks for the info, saved me a fortune from going to the ***********!

Weeleigh.:biglaugh:

retailandtrade
18-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow, Got my new Philips + bulbs from our friends at Autobulbsdirect and gonna fit them in the morning.

Not being very technically minded, studied your Pics and instructions and read all the thread and any other info on other threads and seem alright. Reckon even i can do it.

BUT.....Just one question, keep seeing these screws in the picture which has stars on them....is that a special tool needed to be purchased before i start this job or is the good ol faithful Philips gonna fit in it!!

sorry to ask such a dim question just dont wanna fiddle about with it before i got all the tools ready, a reply tonight would be a great help.

Quite looking forward to getting it sorted in the morning cos fed up of driving around with my main beam on cos the normal audi bulbs are so dim....bit like my technical mind!!

Many thanks

weeleigh
18-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't know anything about the headlights as I have only changed the brake light bulb on my car, but for the rear all you need is a philips screwdriver and a flat blade screwdriver for accessing the light bulb unit. That and a bit of care. It's quite an easy job, but don't rush it.

Maybe some of the other folks who have done the headlights could help.

Best of luck!

retailandtrade
18-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Ok thanks for your help anyway, i think i will just end up ramming the philips in it and see what happens, cant believe that everyone on the forum has a special tool to do the job and no-one mentions anything about a special tool.

Gonna go for it tomorrow, cant wait to go out for a drive in the dark!! hahahaha

RickT
19-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Wow, Got my new Philips + bulbs from our friends at Autobulbsdirect and gonna fit them in the morning.

Not being very technically minded, studied your Pics and instructions and read all the thread and any other info on other threads and seem alright. Reckon even i can do it.

BUT.....Just one question, keep seeing these screws in the picture which has stars on them....is that a special tool needed to be purchased before i start this job or is the good ol faithful Philips gonna fit in it!!

sorry to ask such a dim question just dont wanna fiddle about with it before i got all the tools ready, a reply tonight would be a great help.

Quite looking forward to getting it sorted in the morning cos fed up of driving around with my main beam on cos the normal audi bulbs are so dim....bit like my technical mind!!

Many thanks

The socket you require is just a simple star / torx bit for a screw driver..

TIP..

Go to a local hardware shop... or a Wilkinsons, they sell the bits for around &#163;2.00 for a pack of all sizes..

Yes.. these are CHEAP tools.. BUT these do the job for a home DIY chaps... just be gentle..

Inregards to using a phlips or flat blade screw driver.. DONT.. Due to the dampness in the bonnet these screw tend to need a little pressure to free them.. if you knacker the head you are knacked.... time to get the drill out..

Below is a photo of a bit that i mean to go into a screwdriver... (i have a nice Snap On one) but you can pick them up very cheap ..

THE BIT / socket BELOW is one i just had on my desk here... Please note.. the bit you need has a STAR shape instead of the philips.. lol..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/RIMG0002-2.jpg

Rick

RickT
19-01-2008, 02:20 AM
ps..

i am going to rewrite the guide some time soon showing all required tools etc.. plus with better pictures..

Rick

retailandtrade
19-01-2008, 02:05 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Even a dim wit like me done it, what great guide, got me through no problems at all.

Prob just best with a little WD40 as well.

The tools no problems either, nothing as fancy a snap on bits like you RickT, just one little tool set from Argos for about 30quid i think!! had a little socket set in it with all the Star bits you need for the job.

Although a little advice for anyone who is nearly as dim as me.....Keep hold of the extention bars cos if that little sucker falls off, you got yourself a problem!! cos there is no way down past the engine for hands to pick the little blighter up!!

Just cant wait til dark now to go out and make daylight for everyone!!

Many thanks for the guide, many thanks for all the bits from Autobulbsdirect, lets hope they are bright as everyone else says they are or its off to Autobulbsdirect again to buy the Xenon upgrade kit!!

You're all fab, thanks!!

RickT
19-01-2008, 03:52 PM
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Even a dim wit like me done it, what great guide, got me through no problems at all.

Prob just best with a little WD40 as well.

The tools no problems either, nothing as fancy a snap on bits like you RickT, just one little tool set from Argos for about 30quid i think!! had a little socket set in it with all the Star bits you need for the job.

Although a little advice for anyone who is nearly as dim as me.....Keep hold of the extention bars cos if that little sucker falls off, you got yourself a problem!! cos there is no way down past the engine for hands to pick the little blighter up!!

Just cant wait til dark now to go out and make daylight for everyone!!

Many thanks for the guide, many thanks for all the bits from Autobulbsdirect, lets hope they are bright as everyone else says they are or its off to Autobulbsdirect again to buy the Xenon upgrade kit!!

You're all fab, thanks!!

Thanks for the kind words!

Rick

Scary666
11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Rick and thanks for a great guide :-).
I used it to replace my rear lights.
Unfortunately I have to change one of the headlights. I went to Audi to buy a new lamp but they didnt know what kind i should get... Strange huh :-) They probably want me to let them do the work... So is there an easy way to check what kind of bulb I need?
Sorry for being such a noobie

A4 avant 2004

mikebyrne
12-02-2008, 09:18 AM
If you just go into Halfords and give them your reg number they should be able to tell you.

Alex M
16-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Well, it happens over here as well. Just got back from the dealership with my bulb for the left rear tail light when the signal went on saying the right front turn signal was out!
Rick's pics look like the job should be do-able, tho'. Thanks for the useful forum - can't keep taking the car in to the dealership - its 50 km away...!

RickT
16-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi Rick and thanks for a great guide :-).
I used it to replace my rear lights.
Unfortunately I have to change one of the headlights. I went to Audi to buy a new lamp but they didnt know what kind i should get... Strange huh :-) They probably want me to let them do the work... So is there an easy way to check what kind of bulb I need?
Sorry for being such a noobie

A4 avant 2004

Front Headlight bulbs for H7.

Rick

gregk81
20-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay, so I nearly managed to change the dipped bulb on my headlight unit...

I managed to get all screws off/loose and the unit was ready to come out except for the wiring connector (photo attached)

I tried prising every piece of plastic I could for 20 mins with no luck! I remember having similar difficulties with the rear light, but got there in the end (was much more accessible). Any tips tricks for getting the blighter off?

RickT
30-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Hi people..

Over recent weeks i have been asked via email to send the guide..

Moving forward, if you require the guide, please can you sign upto the forum and download of there as i may miss your email with all the other messages i get on a daily basis..

Please rembmer you need 5 posts on the forum to be able to download..

A great place to get them 5 posts is in our CHAT section..

Rick

bez101
17-04-2008, 08:55 PM
i cant download your guide does it show how to remove headlights without removeing front bumper ?

bez101
18-04-2008, 12:06 PM
cheers for the mail sorted :beerchug:

Luke A4
30-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Just wanted to say a big thank you for this DIY guide. Just changed the bulbs in my dipped beam, indicators and side lights - all in all took me about 20minutes. Fantastic work. :D

zico_75
23-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Great document. Made it all the easier by showing screws 3&4 for replacing front indicator bulb.

tahirj89
05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the guide matey, changed the front one a month ago now the rear brake bulb is gone. If it wasnt for the guide i would've been over £50 outta pocket!!!!

tahirj89
05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Okay, so I nearly managed to change the dipped bulb on my headlight unit...

I managed to get all screws off/loose and the unit was ready to come out except for the wiring connector (photo attached)

I tried prising every piece of plastic I could for 20 mins with no luck! I remember having similar difficulties with the rear light, but got there in the end (was much more accessible). Any tips tricks for getting the blighter off?

I had problems with that exact same thing, in the end i just left it on and changed the bulb... made the job 10x harder :aargh4:

richardjb
16-06-2008, 12:10 PM
RickT,
Do you have any idea how I can replace a front fog lamp on my Audi A4 please (passenger side)?
Many thanks

bez101
16-06-2008, 12:16 PM
you have to go under the car to get to it im pretty sure theres 2 bolts to remove it either that or i have bolts missing

richardjb
16-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Bez,
Many thanks for your hasty response. I have a plastic cover that is over the engine that stops me from getting at the underside!!

bez101
16-06-2008, 12:37 PM
yeah the crap cover remove it pain in the *** unless u have it up on ramps

richardjb
16-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Guess what-I don't have a ramp and am not 4 foot tall!!!
Is it easy to identify the screws holding this cover on before I start crawling underneath?

bez101
16-06-2008, 12:54 PM
yeah u cant miss them theres some at fromt an back mines goin on the 4 poster later so if i have time ill take a few picks and post them

richardjb
16-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Pics would be great thanks

bez101
16-06-2008, 01:04 PM
theres around 9 screws bolts 10mm

Kash8200
19-06-2008, 04:15 PM
hey Rick, thanx 4 da upload. it was dreadful and fantastic experience for me. i happend 2hav incurred problems as i went to change my indicator light

firstly ddn hv a torx wrench so i ended up eatin the thread of the screws!!! secondly ma screwdriver fell through, thirdly ma wrench wasnt the ryt size. having overcome all these problems i removed the hedlight on the 3rd attempt!!! But one of the screws that you are suppose 2 loosen fell through!!! but the hedlight had secured wivout that screw, because it did not tighten dwn 2 nefink. if u think thats the end of it.. u wish!!! then 2 remove the lightbulb holder.. ma mate applied 2much pressure n it snapped!! had 2 go audi dealer n pik up the part for £5.72. thought it wud be worse and need 2 replace the whole unit, but i kept twistin n twistin till it fell in place and indicator strted flashing!!

so at the end of the day i was well chuffed, being a idiot who cuda spent £10 to replace the bulb at local garage n save all da hassle lol!!! but a local shop sells the bulb for a £1 and brake lights for 50p!! Now that iv learnt, it will save me £10 everytm a bulb goes n ma bulbs tend2 go every cupl months or so!!

Thanx agen Rick... hats off 2 u!!

I do apologise for the inconvenience of my grammar cos im 20 n txt a lot!!!

Hash
24-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks a lot for this file. It was very useful when I had a faulty indicator light. Sorted it in no time. Who needs mechanics when we can have info like this available.

kiptaylor
28-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Right.... as so many of you have been asking "how do i change the headlight bulbs and rear tails lights... i thought i would throw a quick guide together..

Also... the guide for the tail lights is for the avant... however from that im sure you will figure out how to do the saloon... (just open the lugs covered in carpet instead of the plastic opens..

Enjoy!

Cheers

Rickt

Adobe - Reader download thank you (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_servefile.html?option=full&order=1&type=&language=English&platform=WinXPSP2&esdcanbeused=1&esdcanhandle=0&hasjavascript=1)

excellent advice and easy to follow! with regards to the avant rear light removal-if you get someone to assist you by keeping the screwdriver in place throughout the procedure to hold the screw in the hole,you never need to actually take the screw out!did this on both lights yesterday in less time than it takes to smoke a cigarette!hope this is useful to someone-
kip

jonbaker
16-07-2008, 04:59 PM
My front left parking light was out. Not wanting to attempt this change myself (i do the back ones) i took it to a local garage. The young lad simply gained access to the bulbs by unclipping something behind the unit, so why all the removal of headlight business!!??:confused:

Turned out as he moved the bulb it came back on, been fine since :D

JohnyIre
21-07-2008, 11:28 AM
I looked at this guide on Saturday, and it made it so easy. I changed the Left Hand Side parking bulb. I didn't need to removed the plastic cover over the PS reservoir though. Thanks again.

Ojmsisle
22-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Just wanted to express my thanks. I replaced a front indicator buld using your guide and it only took about 15min

Cheers

Chris

54A4Avant
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
The guide looks handy but before I get started I wanted to check I have the right bulb - I can't see if mentioned anywhere in the guide. The bulb I have is a Halfords type 477 12V 55W.

I'd hate to unscrew everything then find I'd got the wrong bit. Could anyone please confirm? Ta

RickT
07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
The guide looks handy but before I get started I wanted to check I have the right bulb - I can't see if mentioned anywhere in the guide. The bulb I have is a Halfords type 477 12V 55W.

I'd hate to unscrew everything then find I'd got the wrong bit. Could anyone please confirm? Ta

A 447... which bulb are you wanting to change?

Cheers

Rick

54A4Avant
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Sorry - headlamp dipped beam. I'm on my starting blocks about to go out to the car, I might just unscrew it and have a look.......

54A4Avant
14-10-2008, 02:40 PM
All done - phew! Why are those electrical connectors so hard to get off? In the end I gave up and finished the job with the headlamp unit just barely forward of its normal position. Hard to get the old bulb out but you can do it - just.

I can confirm by the way that the Halfords type 477 bulb does the job, it seems to be equivalent to the type H7 which is the original fit item. I'll test it later down a dark country lane and see if it performs the same as the other side.

ThunderSpook
23-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Alright then, center high level brake light on an Avant? Any help?

Need to at least get the cover off to figure out if it's a bulb problem or an electrical problem.

Cheers,

Russ

bar25
23-10-2008, 11:30 PM
thank you

RickT
24-10-2008, 12:29 AM
thank you

no problem..

raymondsharps
05-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Good luck with changing the bulb.

Make sure you buy the right one otherwise more money up the chimney, hope this helps.

ThunderSpook
06-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Alright then, center high level brake light on an Avant? Any help?

Need to at least get the cover off to figure out if it's a bulb problem or an electrical problem.

Cheers,

Russ

Bump, I do need help with this one if anyone knows how to do it...

Dec
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks great help

Thingy
13-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the help

danclyon
30-12-2008, 05:26 PM
no problem..

over the last few days i have had a few emails from members asking for the guide..

We would welcome your feedback.

RickT

Rick, marvellous bit of work mate. Only thing I would add and we've done it in the thread that I started (badmouthing Halfords and their bulb guide which is wrong for the Avant) is what bulbs are inside on what years so you can get them before taking it apart to find out :-)

Mine has the twin foot dual-filament 380 bulbs for the tail-light/brake combined vs the 382 that the Halfords guide reckoned were correct (2004 54 Avant 130 Tdi).

I'm also going to look at the socket set on mine as it has screws in there that have a socketable outer head as well as the philips (or is it pozi?) inner head - as one side of mine (passenger) doesn't want to leave the car without a great deal of effort :-)

Thanks again for a great guide...
Cheers,
Dan.

PS - just a thought - according to the manual, "bulbs should only be changed by a qualified mechanic" - does that mean I'm a qualified mechanic now ;-)

CarbonS4
01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
The guide has now been uploaded..

RicKT

Thanks RickT great info and job completed :D, all I need to do now is sort out the DIS reading in German and lost trip computer 1 after recent battery change :aargh4:

Thanks again, Steve

bez101
01-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks RickT great info and job completed :D, all I need to do now is sort out the DIS reading in German and lost trip computer 1 after recent battery change :aargh4:

Thanks again, Steve
my dis was in german took 2 mins with vag to change it back

CarbonS4
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
my dis was in german took 2 mins with vag to change it back

Thanks bez
i dont own Vag yet but i am thinking it might be the way to go, do you know if there is the ability to put back trip 1 (the one that resets ofter 2 hrs of inactivity).

lennymfo
03-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Great guide. Ive tried to change toe Dipped Main Headlight bulb as is isnt working but the one I pulled out looked ok but Ireplaced it anywaya but still no joy. The fuses are ok. Could it be anything else? I have 98 2.5 Tdi A4

a4suction
11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
[quote=Portugazzer;89220]Hi I have an 03 2.5Tdi A4 Avant Quattro, I have removed the headlamps (lhd) to replace them with rhd ones. . . . .

So do you have these LHD headlamps for re-sale then kidda? Am on the market for some if they're going cheap with this credit crunch on and all.....!!!!!?????

banky
14-02-2009, 03:23 PM
brilliant!! thanks for the info.

jacktheraver
23-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes 3 cheers for this infomation I was doing my flipping nut trying to figure it out prior to reading this. Its a crafty design thats designed to keep you coming back to the dealer to have your pockets turned inside out...... ****** Bloody swines!

edelman
24-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Rick

Do you have a guide to do the same thing on an A6 Quattro 2005? As it has puzzled me.

Simon

Enjoy!

Cheers

Rickt

guido.minciotti
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Great guide, man. Really helpful to spot the bloody screws. After I managed to remove the headlight, especially difficult on the Left Hand one (left when you are sitting inside the car) I noticed that the restraining clips on the lower two screws of the headlight are actually not whole. I mean you DON'T actually need to remove the bottom screws completely as you can just half unscrew them and then simply pull out the headlight...easy!

Thanks for your guide. Ace!

Theobak
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the information nice detailed pictures, should now be easy to change a lamp. :Blush:

buff0515
15-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Rickt,
Great post regarding the bulb changes.
Many Thanks.
Gary.

ali_a4_avant
27-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Nice one. Would have never found some of the screws if it wasn't for this guide.:o

chelsea
18-09-2009, 11:52 AM
hi i have an audi a4 cab 2003 doing a facelift conversion to an 2007 having problems with the headlamps any ideas how to get them wired up??

richardjb
18-09-2009, 11:58 AM
You access the headlights from the front. There is a plastic pannel that is clipped onto the front of the lights. Ease this off to give you access to the 3 screws that hold the light casing

Audi.Boy
20-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I went for the HID swap over and did it without trying to take out the headlight which was quite a ball ache but I got there in the end, looks way better now, and they emit a far better bright light, cant tell the difference as us lucky B6 owners get projector units standard :p was definitely worth the time, effort and frustration lol

actonboy62
10-10-2009, 07:33 AM
RickT, great guide :beerchug:........Do you know a way to change the bulbs without having to get the beam re-aligned. I have changed mine 3 times now and each time they go out of alignment. I use my dipped beam as DRL's so my bulbs seem to go at least once a year.

Travel-Buddies
18-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Great guide and pics. Have saved a copy for the future...... do you have anything similar that covers how to diagnose and switch off an engine management dash board light + replace an egr valve on a Dec 2004 registered 2.5 TDI?

Cheers
Steve

PhilB
21-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Brilliant guide with nice clear pics mate.Just used it to help me change my front pass side indicator light bulb.Was like having a manual with me :D

Cheers Rick nice one :beerchug:

RickT
08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Glad the guide has helped you all.....

RickT

fionn
29-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Changed bulbs with no difficulty, thanks to your guide.
Saved a fortune.
Cheers mate.

bigsidavies
20-12-2009, 05:33 PM
just done a rear light in my b6 s4 cab using this guide and found it to be slightly different. don't remove the rubber bit on the side nearest the bootlid as it is clipped to the light itself. Then undo the one retaining screw and pull out sideways. Really easy on the cab as the locating pins are on the car and there are 2 u-shaped lugs on the light. 30 second job. so easy that i've popped it back together as i didn't have the correct bulb and will do it in 30 seconds tomorrow. thanks for giving me the confidence to have a go!!!

des0
20-01-2010, 10:41 AM
just done the drivers head light quickly thanks to the guide as its freezing

it took me longer to find the torx fitting in the garage :aargh4:

cheers people :beerchug:

le19h
01-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Great work - would anyone have the original OEM rear lights for the B6 Cabriolet model? Cracked one at the weekend and in need of a replacement!

bez101
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Great work - would anyone have the original OEM rear lights for the B6 Cabriolet model? Cracked one at the weekend and in need of a replacement!
i have both sides
email me on
leebez666@aol.com

aseeryl
14-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks from newbie. Turned to be a loose connection for the front offside indicator. Simple when you find the screws.
NB Take care with adaptors dropped one and it's stuck in the floor pan. T30 size torq

Caf'sA4
14-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Just want to add my thanks for this excellent guide. Dipped headlamp bulb went a week after buying my A4, typical, and thanks to clever but annoying modern car design these things are no longer as straightforward as they used to be, but this guide made easy work of it and saved me feeling like an idiot for having to send it in to a garage.

Nice one. :beerchug:

Caf'sA4
14-03-2010, 07:32 PM
NB Take care with adaptors dropped one and it's stuck in the floor pan. T30 size torq

hahaha same here, floating somewhere in the engine bay never to be seen again!

mr singh
09-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Brilliant guide, stops you pulling your hair out thats for sure :p

Gerry H
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
My first post on here and it's a big Thank You.

The handbook says a bulb change is a dealer job ***? Took a quick look and couldn't imagine having to remove half the boot lining to get to the fitting so did a search and found this thread and guide.

10 minutes, bulb swapped and now all's OK :bigok:

Thank you.

RickT
05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
My first post on here and it's a big Thank You.

The handbook says a bulb change is a dealer job ***? Took a quick look and couldn't imagine having to remove half the boot lining to get to the fitting so did a search and found this thread and guide.

10 minutes, bulb swapped and now all's OK :bigok:

Thank you.

Happy to help!

Rick

mister99
17-09-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks for this guide,

changed my headlamp bulb to the philips extreme h7 ones.

i had some difficulty getting the main electrical connector off as i could figure how to remove this (perhaps you could give a little mention as to exactly how this connector comes off to make it easier for newbies like myself).

then i had to be really carefull when inserting the new bulb as your not supposed to get any dirt or fingerprints on the quartz/glass bulb as i've been told this reduced the life expectancy significantly

the philips extreme h7 have made a good difference to my dipped headlights

I also dropped a torx bit but managed to shake the floor pan to recover this..phew..

kipperano
24-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the guide,brilliant,saved me a fortune at Audi changing my bulbs

atif
26-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi All,

Can someone confirm if i want to remove the headlight and swap for another that you can this without removing the bumper? I went to Audi and they said that the bumper needs to come off :confused:

Thanks in advance... :D

kipperano
30-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Hi atif,,,yip you can take the light out without removing the bumper,no problem. Remember to masking tape all your paintwork around the light so you don"t scratch your car.
Good luck,,,,kipperano

atif
01-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi atif,,,yip you can take the light out without removing the bumper,no problem. Remember to masking tape all your paintwork around the light so you don"t scratch your car.
Good luck,,,,kipperano

Thanks Kipperano.. it worked a treat... i cant believe how easy it was upon getting the light off... although the loom on the light was a pain to get off...

I covered the bumper to ensure i never got any scratches on it:D

GoldieLoc
10-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi there bud, just a quick question for ya... I'v had an angel eye conversion headlight with hid lights but am finding that the driver side headlamp doesn't respond to the headlight dip knob. Just the passenger light seems to move up and down... Any ideas on how to rectify this myself? And also both headlights seem to be dipped too low, even on the highest setting. Is there a way to adjust this or am I gonna have to learn to live with it! :aargh4:

daveky
10-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Great help, the pictures make all the difference. Now I need to aim/align the headlight. Where are the alignment screws located.
Thanks

HIDorigin
10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
great guide... Thankyou

RickT
10-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Great help, the pictures make all the difference. Now I need to aim/align the headlight. Where are the alignment screws located.
Thanks

On the top of the headlight, look for a large hex bolt (allen key) head.

Rick

DeanGros
13-12-2010, 11:11 PM
OK - I almost got the end, but then could not remove the electrical connections, to remove the headlight unit. Does anyone know whether these just pull off? One is black and the other one is yellow or white (I can't quite remember. There is also a cable tie connection - can this simply be pulled off?

Thanks

DeanGros
18-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Finally got around to replacing the bulb. The connectors don't need to be removed, as the whole head light unit can be pulled out far enough. I only had to pop out the cable tie.

green A8
28-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Great Guide! I had a play with a relatives UK spec B6 with a blown indicator bulb before I'd ever heard of this forum. I got there in the end, but if only I'd known about this guide I could have saved myself a lot of time.

One little tip that might help, when undoing the concealed screw on the Avant model. I put some blue tak on the tip of the screwdriver to prevent the screw from dropping and being lost forever. It worked well.

Kind Regards.

Paul.

mr toaks
12-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Good guide - Thank You.

It is worth noting:

I have just changed the fog light bulb on a 2004 A4 Avant. The alert on the dash came up saying "Rear Left Fog".

This should say "Rear Right" - the rear left fog light is blanked off on all of these cars - I am assuming that this is due to them being desinged as Left Hand drive and they have translated the warnings but not the location, therefore if it comes up with the alert, go for Right first, it'll save a bit of time!

kite
12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Good guide - Thank You.

It is worth noting:

I have just changed the fog light bulb on a 2004 A4 Avant. The alert on the dash came up saying "Rear Left Fog".

This should say "Rear Right" - the rear left fog light is blanked off on all of these cars - I am assuming that this is due to them being desinged as Left Hand drive and they have translated the warnings but not the location, therefore if it comes up with the alert, go for Right first, it'll save a bit of time!
I;ve had the rear left fog warning.
To clear the fault I cleaned all bulb contacts in both rear light units.

benjie
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
How weird, I had "Rear Left Fog" pop up yesterday and my first thought was "I don't have a rear left fog light." But the right one works, maybe in needs a clean up, or is on its way out!

a4suction
13-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I modded mine to allow for permanent driving in Europe by purchasing the rear left circuit board to make the car complete with 2 rear fogs and linked the wiring into the existing system so just be aware that others may have done this on your car if previous owners were required to do the same thing. Then the warning may have some bearing on which bulb you replace!

danclyon
30-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Enjoy!

Cheers

Rickt

I know we've all said it before, but thanks hugely for this guide.....had the lights out yesterday and replaced blown bulbs....effortless with this doc, and without it, looking somewhat daunting...

Cheers,
Dan.

haytch75
21-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Great guide......thanks

HIDorigin
21-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Just a quick heads up to those who want to do this less often! Ive just finished fully testing My Korean Made LED Fogs, S25 LED stop and Tail and S25 LED turn signal. The quality is top notch. Light output is impressive and !00% compatable (error free). They are manufactured by the same company that supplies Ring Automotive I believe. Anyway Debut coming soon with substantial VWaudiforum discount watch this space at www.HIDorigin.com or contact me for more details.
Cheers

ozwoldA4
31-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Great stuff.

Couldn't work out how to take the wiring loom/socket off, but then realised the lamp unit moves out far enough to change the dipped bulbs without needing to.:approve:

One zip tie removed for front nearside lamp unit removal, but drivers side fine.

Oil change and bulbs done just as it was getting dark. Happily a quick job all in- first time I've done either job since getting the car last year.

Now beer o'clock while I make some baguettes...:beerchug:
Happy days...

faticus
19-05-2011, 04:28 PM
nice clear guide .. bulb changed in 10 mins ...cheers guys .

Daniel97
14-02-2012, 05:01 PM
what size is the brake light bulbs on a 2003 avant please?

DeanGros
14-02-2012, 09:22 PM
what size is the brake light bulbs on a 2003 avant please?

It's easy enough to remove the rear light cluster to check. Halfords will also be able to tell you, as they stock bulb kits for the A4.

mr_noir_1976
26-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Top Man!!!!

this guide has saved me a massive headache,i recently had a B5 and it was a case of four 10mm bolts with 4million turns on each one to release,my B6 isnt the same and i was scratching my head for a full hour on how to get the rear light out,omg im so glad i checked this,your a star my good man,A STAR!!!!!!!!!!

akers159
07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Top Guide, easy to follow

sejo_tt
29-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Your instructions were perfect. Thanks

gordonowusu
15-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks. very useful.

biggrim
12-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Been on the forum a while and been looking through this thread to try and find out what the side light bulb is on a 2003 A4 Avant with HID's. Everywhere I look online it says it's a 501 bulb but you can see that it isn't a capless bulb. Can't remember the type but looking to order some white (well, not yellow) side light bulbs as the current ones look rubbish in comparison to the blue/white from the HIDs. Suppose I could just take the old one out to check but would rather have the replacements to hand to save me doing it twice.

allenmc2311
02-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi,

Quick question.

I need to replace the side/parking light bulb. But when I removed headlight unit it appears the motor for adjusting the headlight is in the way.
Is it safe to remove this, if so how?

Thanks

Allen

Thingy
03-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi Allen

Just turn it up over and the light fitting becomes loose giving you loads more space to change the blub.

hannay
14-11-2017, 12:09 PM
First, a sincere thank you to RickT for the excellent how-to.

First time having to change a rear bulb since acquiring an A4 Avant earlier in the year. Handbook: "A specialist job requiring some dismantling, take it to your Dealer." Yeah, right!

I've no doubt I would have figured it out after some amount of exploration, however I have a high regard for one-Marque forums and was delighted to find VWAF for VAG advice and expertise.

In case it helps someone coming along later with the same job ahead, the only real point to watch for is that the small bolt securing the cluster unit - the only thing you have to undo other than the cable-connector once the unit is free - doesn't drop behind the outer panel before you fully withdraw it, else it would be a total pain to recover unless you got lucky dabbing around with a magnetic retriever maybe.

It is worth noting that if there are two of you you don't have to remove the bolt completely to free the cluster unit, just back it off past its 'bite' point but be careful to approach it carefully as there's barely a couple more turns then left on the thread before it would be free to drop in to the abyss below it!

So the person on screwdriver-duty needs to be cautious when that point is getting near, it is a bit of a by-feel process with input from the other person checking if the cluster is showing signs of being loose/free.

And it would help if you know beforehand whether the bolt is short or long so so you don't start going slowly in quarter-turn-and-try-once-more increments after 1/4" when the bolt is 1.5" long! Hopefully one of the photos I have added will help a little on that anyway.

But if there's just one of you to get the job done, it is more than sensible to take steps to capture the bolt once loosened part-way, even if your driver-tip is magnetic - it is a long-ish bolt in a tight-ish location and could accidentally get jostled-off as you withdraw it if you make unlucky contact with the body/panel/trim edge or are withdrawing off-straight without being aware of it. It happened to me many years ago now and gave me a truly torturous time recovering a special-fitting small bolt-on component on a lovely old Merc, that due to age and specialism I could only have replaced by getting one made .. which would also have needed the one I had dropped as a pattern!

The bolt you are withdrawing has a small hex-head and also takes a phillips/crosshead driver. It is located within the centre of what has the appearance of being a larger hex-headed bolt because of the limited view and the shading caused by the inset and the small access hole through trim/panel. At first glance this can give the impression that you need to undo *the large bolt* that you think you are seeing, which sets you off scratching your head because it is larger than the hole you would have to withdraw it through as well as being unable to get a socket on it through that hole in the first place!

But really it is dead simple, all you have to do is realise/observe that the deal just needs a suitable driver in the crosshead and you are golden. I think it is probably possible for a smaller socket to be able to locate over it on a 1/4" bar if you have a small-set, but I didn't bother trying as it was nothing more than a handy-screwdriver job and I already had one right there.

If you can get a small socket through and over it without interference from the collar surrounding it, then presumably that would also hold the head steady on withdrawal ... however, the head is only shallow and the bolt is relatively lengthy and so there could still be a possibility of it dropping out or being dislodged by accident so be aware.

If using a screwdriver however then there's many little tricks such as using blu-tac on the driver-tip (sometimes fails to work, so okay unless you need a guaranteed result), or sliding a tube over the screw/nut head if there's enough access and unscrewing through that tunnel-to-safety.

A simple method that I have used countless times over the years and have never gone wrong with however, is to use the barrel of a felt-tip pen or similar. Not the rigid-plastic type as they can shatter or at least split in the process, but the softer-plastic type, firm but with a little give.

The idea is to back-out the bolt/screw a short way with a screwdriver so it turns easily and also has the head exposed, and then ease the end of the pen-barrel over it making sure to keep the same axis as the screw/bolt for max stability. And you don't even have to lose a perfectly good pen in the process - most of them have an end-cap and you just remove that and there's some clear space before you see the ink-tube or whatever ... use it and pop the end cap back after and it's a pen again! In my case however my toolbox had just acquired a first Audi-special tool :)

(At a push, use a rigid one, let it split, take it off and then wrap sticky/gaffer/parcel tape around it a few turns to restrict the split and give the springiness you need, then push it gently back on making sure that the screw/bolt is free to turn ... just be a little more careful!)

For this job an old CD marker pen was pretty perfect, very slightly small but that only meant I needed to be a little more slow and gentle locating it right down over the head of the bolt - usefully snug as the head is not that deep. Once there it was held perfectly securely and I was able to finish undoing it and withdrew it very easily. The whole job from removing the bolt to replacing it again with the cluster back and a new bulb fitted was less than 5 minutes.

I hope this is useful to someone, and that the photos help - I presume they are thumbnails and will enlarge when clicked.

frankwdt
10-04-2019, 08:42 PM
HI Rickt - Thanks for the guide - it's not quite the same on my Audi A4 cabriolet from 2005 - but close enough to make your guide very worth while! Thanks