PDA

View Full Version : 2000 1.8T Passat - Strong petrol smell on take off

biltong
10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I have a 2001 Passat 1.8T with about 68000 miles on the clock. I have only had the vehicle for a year, but it has always had a petrol smell especially when pulling off from still, but also sometimes at low speeds/low gears. The car runs really well otherwise, with the occasional rough idle (but nothing persistent.)

There are no alarms on the dash, and everything appears to be in order.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, or possibly have a solution?

Thank you.

Desdesigner
11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Interesting point, I have a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T with 87k on the clock. I experience a slightly rough idle and after 30 seconds of idling at full temp, allot of white smoke comes out with the distinct aroma of unburnt fuel.

My local garage believes it to be just condensation in the cat but I’m not too sure. I believe it to be over fuelling with the unburnt fuel hitting the hot cat as my temp gauge is intermittent you see.

-Desdesigner

biltong
11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Interesting. I don't believe I have any of the white smoke, but the other symptoms you have are familiar. I experienced problems with the temp guage but the sensor was replaced and that appears to be ok now. (It still misbehaved for a short time after the sensor was replaced, but it has been ok for a number of months now.)

Not sure about the condensation in my case, though, as I experience the smell even when the engine is hot. It is always at low speeds, usually after moving off from still.

JFrancois67
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
My 2003 1.8T Passat does the same when I start it; funny petrol smell from the front. Only for a few seconds.

biltong
17-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Any new suggestions on this one?

paync
12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I have a 2001 1.8t sport with the same problem with a strong fuel smell for a few seconds, Although ive only noticed it over the last few weeks when weather has been cold. I did once have a fuel leak from a break in the fuel pipe line but it was sorted out with some rubber hose and a couple of jubilee clips. It had been spraying on to the red hot turbo I thought this was a really dangerous fault but no one from dealership seemed bothered. Anyone with any usefull info as to what can be done about this smell please get in touch. thanks.