PDA

View Full Version : Towbar preparation MY2010

vincentbob
16-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Hello there, given that there are now a few MY2010 vehicles out there, has anyone found out yet what the towbar preparation additions to the spec involve.
I only found out about the problem with fitting a towbar after I had placed my order (planned to fit a cheaper after market one as I have done before).
I am hoping that all the cooling system mods have been fitted as standard, so that it will now be possible to fit an aftermarket item.

I take delivery of my 170 TDI Avant S-Line Exec (Meteor Grey) mid August (1st Sept) and need to get a towbar fitted quickly.

Thanks in advance

The Polisher
17-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Hello there, given that there are now a few MY2010 vehicles out there, has anyone found out yet what the towbar preparation additions to the spec involve.
I only found out about the problem with fitting a towbar after I had placed my order (planned to fit a cheaper after market one as I have done before).
I am hoping that all the cooling system mods have been fitted as standard, so that it will now be possible to fit an aftermarket item.

I take delivery of my 170 TDI Avant S-Line Exec (Meteor Grey) mid August (1st Sept) and need to get a towbar fitted quickly.

Thanks in advance

As far as I understand... the towbar prep has all the mods you need to after market fit a bar..... however, you need to make sure you get one that has "vehicle specific" wiring so that the towbar ties into the ECU (needs software from Audi dealer) to make sure it all works right and that the car knows when it is towing.

I ordered mine "on the cusp" of the 2010, and although I now know mine will be a 2010 with towbar prep... I just couldn't take the risk and ordered the very expensive factory fit detachable bar..........:aargh4::aargh4:

vincentbob
17-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I ordered mine at the end of April, and was quoted a very high price for the towbar, they were working from the old brochure and didn't mention the fact that a MY2010 version was in the pipeline.
I actually said that I would fit an aftermarket towbar as it would be cheaper, the salesman mentioned nothing about the problems that would cause.
If there is a software mod involved to fit an aftermarket kit even with the MY2010 mods then I can expect to get stung by Audi I suppose.
I will get in touch with Westfalia who claim to be suppliers of OE towbars to Audi, and see if they know what is involved.

Cheers

ScottyUK
17-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm guessing the rear parking sensors automatically disable is something is connected to the towing electrics.

You can imagine what happens otherwise ;)

vincentbob
17-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I emailed Westfalia who are fully aware of the situation and have recommended a suitable wiring kit to go with their tow hitch, they confirmed to me what The Polisher said about having Audi set up the car to suit.

This was their message,"If your car has the pre prep for the cooling upgrade, then the wiring kit 305214300113 will integrate fully with the vehicle, and will be able to be coded by the Audi dealer. It was only the lack of correct cooling equipment that was creating a problem with regards to the wiring kit not being able to be coded by Audi."

I am yet to get a price for the tow hitch plus wiring kit, but when I do I will post details, fitted or self fit.

Best regards

a8 tech
17-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Production date

After build week 22/2009 (MY2010)

All engines on A4 Saloon and Avant only

8T0092155 Detachable tow bar
8T0055204 13 pin electrics
so no mods required as of this date

After build week 22/2008 2.0TDI / 1.8T / 3.2FSI / 2.0T

(Engine fans must be upgraded to 600W) 8T0055200 Towing kit that includes:
Tow bar
Towing electrics
600W fan upgrade parts

2.7TDI / 3.0TDI

(No fan upgrade required)

8K0055204 Tow bar electrics

8T0092155 Tow bar

Before build week 22/2008
2.0TDI / 1.8T / 3.2FSI / 2.0T

(Engine fans must be upgraded to 600W)
Towing kit that includes:
Tow bar 8T0055200
Towing electrics
600W fan upgrade parts

(Engine fans must be upgraded to 1000W) 8K0959455 B/H
8K0959455E
8K0121207 C/D
059903016J
8K0971228D
7L0121953A (x6)
8T0092155
8K0055204 600 watt fan
400 watt fan
Double fan cowling
Alternator 150A (Valeo)
Wiring harness
Bolts (x6)
Tow bar
Tow bar electrics

also additional Three-wire adaptor kit
For full towing electric functionality use adaptor ZGB000055200B.

Please refer to your dealers for cost

a8 tech
17-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing the rear parking sensors automatically disable is something is connected to the towing electrics.

You can imagine what happens otherwise ;)
yes they turn off

a8 tech
17-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks in advance
you just need the normal tow bar and loom

Production date

After build week 22/2009 (MY2010)

All engines on A4 Saloon and Avant only

8T0092155 Detachable tow bar
8T0055204 13 pin electrics

Hillbeley
19-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Is there a new rear skirt/ bumper required? Does anyone have any photos of the factory or aftermarket fit towbar, please?

vincentbob
19-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I have been quoted a price of £390 to fit a Westfalia towbar which I have been led to believe is the same as fitted by Audi, Westfalia being OE suppliers to Audi.
The fittting instuctions from Westfalia show the removal of a section of the lower bumber which is designed to be cut out to allow the removable ball hitch to be removed when not being used. As far as I can see it would not be visible unless you layed on the ground and looked up. I haven't seen a factory fit towbar but I suspect the same would have to be done.
In addition to the cost of fitting the kit would be a visit to Audi to have the car programmed so that it recognises when a towbar is fitted and disables the reversing sensors, as has been mentioned here earlier by others more knowledgeable. I suspect this would be a 10 minute VAGCOM job, but what they are likely to charge I have yet to find out.
From what I can see the cost of parts from Westfalia to fit yourself would be about £240.
I fitted the one on my current Passat which was easy, but the Audi looks more complicated with regard to the wiring, so I will wait until I take delivery of the car and have a look then.

a8 tech
19-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Once the tow bar is fitted the dealer needs to send a code request online to the vag server to update the vehicle specification and then the server returns the protocol to the vas diagnostic this then updates the networks on the vehicle by changing the coding's and adaption channels to allow tow bar electrics but the dealer has the right to refuse third party fitments as once they enter the svm code the individual operator is liable for the retro fit so they could well say no.2009 onwards fittment at the dealers isnt much more than your quote i cant post a costing because dealers rates vary through out the uk.Labour time for svm code will be approx half hour but when your vehicle goes on line a comparison test will be run so other software levels will be checked and possible updates down loaded as this is constantly updating vehicle networks to maintain the vehicle as well as workshop recalls.

vincentbob
19-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the information A8Tech, it looks like I will be asking Audi for a quote to fit one for me.
I would have thought though that they will want a fair bit more to fit one as a dealer fit option, as the current brochure price for factory fit is £635, which should really be cheaper.

vincentbob
18-08-2009, 07:09 PM
A quick update on this thread; I finally will collect my MY2010 car 1st September so asked the salesman for a price to fit the towbar at the dealership, this was his reply;

"In reference to the tow bar price you have enquired. This would be a detachable tow which will cost £1500 fitted, if you need to speak to me please just give me a call. This as I’m sure you have noticed is not very cheap but this is due to the wiring loom in Audi cars witch are made of fibre optics and the also have to link it into the ESP system."

It might be that I drove such a hard deal when I placed the order that the dealership who are trying to recoup some money, but I will have to find a cheaper alternative to this.
Any suggestions anyone?

The Polisher
18-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Short answer, I don't know!! Having seen and heard so many horror stories, even after the towbar prep........... the £1500 option seems safer!

Depends what you are towing. If its a big heavy caravan with double or euro sockets, then it might be the best option.... if its only a little trailer then you probably would be ok with an aftermarket one.

Have a look at the generic towbar thread on this site http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=37539

The last photo is from a company PF Jones or something, they seem to know what they are doing and they are a sponsor of this site, so its unlikley they would get it wrong!!!

Its a huge problem, which is why I decided to take the plunge and have the £635 factory fit bar on mine....... if it ever arrives!!

Fastcar53
18-08-2009, 08:35 PM
All I can add to this tow bar debate is that I have order the factory fit version.

Apparently it comes with double electrics but if you need to use it with just single you need an adapter, not sure why but when I moaned about it they said they would supply it FOC (its only £15). I had a towbar retro fitted to my B7 Avant and its never been right. The fog light worked when they first fitted but then it went belly up and its an issue with the codes or something.

Although when I ordered the car they tried to charge for the electrics but when I queried this they then realised that a MY2010 it didn't need it. I cant believe that its £1500 for a tow bar. I can only assume that £635 for the bar and then the rest is labour?

The Polisher
18-08-2009, 09:11 PM
All I can add to this tow bar debate is that I have order the factory fit version.

Apparently it comes with double electrics but if you need to use it with just single you need an adapter, not sure why but when I moaned about it they said they would supply it FOC (its only £15). I had a towbar retro fitted to my B7 Avant and its never been right. The fog light worked when they first fitted but then it went belly up and its an issue with the codes or something.

Although when I ordered the car they tried to charge for the electrics but when I queried this they then realised that a MY2010 it didn't need it. I cant believe that its £1500 for a tow bar. I can only assume that £635 for the bar and then the rest is labour?

Mine had better not come with twins!!! The brochure lists it as a euro socket, as does the picture.............!!!

a8 tech
18-08-2009, 09:59 PM
standard 13 pin din then to adapt to 7 pin you need the splitter adapter also there is no charge circuit for the fridge so this needs to be added

The Polisher
18-08-2009, 11:19 PM
standard 13 pin din then to adapt to 7 pin you need the splitter adapter also there is no charge circuit for the fridge so this needs to be added
Sorry!?!?!??!?......... NO fridge charger?!??!

If it is a 13 pin euro socket, going to a new van with a 13pin socket, surely everything is there to make it work properly????

Does this mean, even after paying huge amounts of money, it still won't work as it should?

Fastcar53
19-08-2009, 08:32 AM

If it is a 13 pin euro socket, going to a new van with a 13pin socket, surely everything is there to make it work properly????

Does this mean, even after paying huge amounts of money, it still won't work as it should?

To be honest the nominated dealer, Coventry Audi, told me it has "double electrics as standard" when I said all I need is single electrics for a car trailer. They then said I would need an adapter for single. So I have no idea exactly and I have certainly not seen a picture.

My is a lease car, so I have ordered what I want and if someone gets it wrong its becomes someone elses problem. The only issue I have is making sure it arrived on the 9th October when my current one disappears into the sunset.

a8 tech
19-08-2009, 08:20 PM

also additional Three-wire adaptor kit (splitter)
For full towing electric functionality use adaptor ZGB000055200B.

Just check the charge circuit unless i am mistaken its not pre wired

amandaa
20-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi
I have today seen my new A4 due 1st Sept., with the factory fit towbar. The towbar comes with a single 13 pin socket. However, you are also supplied with a 13 pin to two 7 pin adaptor free of charge. The salesman told me that these are not in the cars when shipped for fear of theft at the docks, so they are issued by the parts department. When taking delivery of the vehicle it is important to check that they have not forgotten to include it.
This should satisfy those who want a direct 13 pin to 13 pin and also those like me who were considering buying an adaptor for a dual 7 pin connection.

ScottyUK
02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I currently don't expect to fit a tow bar but I wanted to know whether it's an expensive option or a really expensive one for the future.

The some of 2009 brochures said Tow Bar preparation was included and now the latest 2010 brochure doesn't say it is.

I therefore asked my dealer and I've been told my car has it. If this may be an option for you it may be worth checking with the dealer.

mya4audi
24-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Hi A8tech

Sorry to ask you a direct question, call me dim but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
I have an A6 Allroad 3.0ltr tdi auto 2006. My questions are:
1, do I need to up grade the fan after fitting a westfalia detachable towbar with dedicated
wiring and having the car coded (pf jones)?
2, what does towing prep mean?

Mike