PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Doom and gloom - huge repair bill

epriest
16-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Folks,
I have an 2005 A6 3.2Fsi Quattro saloon. Last year it occasionally started making noises that could only be described as a tractor or very noisy diesel engine for the first few minutes after startup, thereafter it went away.
Eventually, the dealership replaced an oil retention valve as they said the oil was draining away from the cylinder head too quickly. This resolved the problem.
Now (a year on), the noise has returned but only exhibits itself after the vehicle being left switched off for a week or so.
The same dealership is now saying the Inlet Manifold Flap assembly has failed diagnostics and requires replacing, cost £1000 !!!

I have a sound clip of the noise which I could provide to anyone knowledgable for a 2nd opinion.
The noise sounds the same so I'm not really sure why the Inlet Manifold Flap is being put to me by Audi ? Also the car has less than 60000miles on it has been regularly serviced by the same dealership.

Hope someone can help/save me a huge repair bill.
Who says Audi A6's are bulletproof !!

Thanks,
Eddie.

rfmacaskill
17-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi Eddie. Sorry I dont have a solution but would recommend the services of a4Audi in Glasgow for a 2nd opinion (http://www.a4audi.co.uk/) Most of the mechs are all ex Audi and know their stuff. Let me know how you get on as I have the same car! Ross

epriest
17-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Ross,

Spoken to Andy at A4AUDI yesterday, if the part is required they have to pay full whack to Audi for it (the dealership will get it for less) and then charge their own labour bill.

This will only save me around £50 if I proceed with it, i.e. around £900. The part is £750.

Audi UK Customer services are being notified to see if they are willing to help with this. The part (inlet manifold assembly) was already replaced at around 30k miles !

I'm now hoping Customer Services are feeling generous - fingers crossed.

If you get a similar noise I wouldn't waste any time in getting it done under warranty. Having said that my car was already done under warranty and it came back again :-(

Eddie.

JimC64
17-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Eddie, by the sound of it, you've had all your work done at this dealership whilst under warranty and the car can't be outta warranty by that much either?
Try the loyal customer route...assuming you bought the car from them, had all service / repair / warranty work completed there and the fact that it sounds related to a previous complaint.
Be firm and let them know you're ****** of by all means but don't be rude....make sure you stand your ground and don't let them fob you off. If you get no joy there, try speaking with Audi customer services and see how you get on.
You might find that some "goodwill" may kick in and could possibly halve the original figure.....worth a go mate:beerchug:

all the best

Jim

mudzs
28-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Folks,
I have an 2005 A6 3.2Fsi Quattro saloon. Last year it occasionally started making noises that could only be described as a tractor or very noisy diesel engine for the first few minutes after startup, thereafter it went away.
Eventually, the dealership replaced an oil retention valve as they said the oil was draining away from the cylinder head too quickly. This resolved the problem.
Now (a year on), the noise has returned but only exhibits itself after the vehicle being left switched off for a week or so.
The same dealership is now saying the Inlet Manifold Flap assembly has failed diagnostics and requires replacing, cost £1000 !!!

I have a sound clip of the noise which I could provide to anyone knowledgable for a 2nd opinion.
The noise sounds the same so I'm not really sure why the Inlet Manifold Flap is being put to me by Audi ? Also the car has less than 60000miles on it has been regularly serviced by the same dealership.

Hope someone can help/save me a huge repair bill.
Who says Audi A6's are bulletproof !!

Thanks,
Eddie.

i have the same problem with mine , audi has said it is a cam chain tensioner making the noise on startup ,my car is the 3.0 tdi . the noise only started when my car had been left for more than half hour or so and was very noisy for about 5 seconds then deafly quiet whilst being driven . it is in audi at the moment being fixed . i will let you know if this sorts problem .

FBF
28-07-2009, 06:05 PM
the fact that the car only makes the noise when its been sat for a time and i assume its not a problem at any other short periods of non use, would suggest that its the engine oil making its way to the sump and taking a while to pump back up to the top of the engine where its needed, if this were the case i dont understand how the inlet manifold could possible be related? maybe thats a fault they have found and possibly wont even fix your issue anyway.

abz 145
21-08-2009, 09:06 PM
the fact that the car only makes the noise when its been sat for a time and i assume its not a problem at any other short periods of non use, would suggest that its the engine oil making its way to the sump and taking a while to pump back up to the top of the engine where its needed, if this were the case i dont understand how the inlet manifold could possible be related? maybe thats a fault they have found and possibly wont even fix your issue anyway.
Hi, iv got an audi a6 2.7tdi, 2006 model. The engine light came on, traction control and the brake warning light and the car wouldnt start, Audi told me its the Inlet manifold runner, which my friend replaced for me, 4 days later i had the same problem, took it back to audi they told me they have to do an indepth diagnostics which cost me £206.00.
Audi then told me that my ECU is faulty thats why my car wont start, so i booked the car in again and i have had the ECU replaced at a cost of £740.00, and the engine light was on when they gave me the car back and said that there is a rod that controls the flap on the inlet manifold that needs replacing which will take the engine light off. The problem is i cant buy the rod which only clips into place separate to the unit...... BUT WILL THAT CURE THE PROBLEM!!!!