PDA

View Full Version : So who has a MY2010 2.0 Manual? What are your thoughts on start/stop ?

ScottyUK
16-07-2009, 11:26 AM
As per the title?

I thought we'd have some comments by now with people saying they hate it or it works well etc.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Jop
17-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Its just me and you then Scottie. It cant be?!? - Can it??
All these old boys must had opted for DSG!?! - Or stinky diesel.

As you correctly deduced from another post, I've been given the the first week in august delivery date. Your waiting for 59 Plate.. Right?

Chrome tips or GTFO!

ScottyUK
17-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Even the diesel 2.0 is start/stop. I can't believe that all cars so far are either DSG or non 2.0 engines!!

Yep - I'll be racing you to a 59 plate :D

Chrome or FOAD :biglaugh:

juniperz
25-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I have got it on my car that I got on 3rd July.
Seems to work OK. The list of conditions that need to be satisfied for it to stop, seems to be extensive!
Most of the time it stops when I expect it to, though occasionally it is off for a minute, then springs into life inexplicably (one example was in hot weather with AirCon on - I think the car decided I must be getting hot, so it turned on the engine to cool me!). This week it didn't stop when expected, but it was a wet grey morning and the auto lights had come on, so maybe it doesn't stop if lights are drawing too much current?

General requirements for the engine to switch off:
1. Driver's door closed
2. Driver wearing seat belt
3. Engine compartment lid closed
4. Vehicle previously travelled above 4km/h
5. The engine is at normal operating temperature
6. No trailer hitched up
7. Clutch not pressed and no gear engaged
8. ACC not switched on

Not that I know what ACC is - it can't be AirCon.

garyb72
25-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Got it on my 2.0TDI that was delivered last week. I wondered why the engine was cutting out during my first drive! Getting used to it now but sometimes when I expect engine to switch off it doesn't (obviously not satisifed some criteria or other). I wonder what fuel saving you make by using it over a year?

Gary.

troc
26-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Personally I reckon the average driver will save almost nothing - especially here in Holland where everyone tends to sit on the brake and clutch at the lights (the lights are often green for a short time so you need to get away fast and there are no hills to roll back down, 0.5 sec delay in moving off and everyone starts hooting).

I think it's 90% gimmick to get the car's fuel and (more importantly) CO2 numbers down to drop it down to a cheaper bracket and to look good on paper.

:biglaugh:

garyb72
26-07-2009, 12:20 AM
I can't see much of a saving from this either but I guess if you're stuck in a lot of traffic jams the savings may add up. By the way the engine starts back up extremely fast so you don't lose any time really.

rharris
26-07-2009, 12:40 AM
AAC = Audi Climate Control (or Auto Climate Control) and it would make sense that the engine would not stop if the AAC was calling for cold air as the compressor runs directly of the car engine...

Issac Hunt
26-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Post #4 mentions ACC not AAC.

ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control.

Red 2
26-07-2009, 06:13 AM
All very interesting and I suspect it has everything to do with reaching a notional laboratory target for fuel efficiency and of course to allow the marketing men to trumpet how green Audi is. Strange they don't say how few models actually can use it yet.:D And, Audi was caught wrong footed by BMW very succesfully introducing their 'stop/start' some time ago and shouting from the rooftops about how advanced their cars were. BMW 1, Audi nil.....until now.

With the lack of Hill Hold (understandably as it deactivates if the engine switches off) and the inability of most drivers of all car types to use the handbrake when temporarily stopped, relying on footbreak instead, can see how the technology will not be used in anger for the majority of the time.

Still, a useful nod to the future and hybrids that will have surely have a much better system.

ScottyUK
26-07-2009, 07:50 AM
The emissions issue I think is the big one. For the 2.0T Avant, even if I always disable start/stop, the fact that it has the technology means I'm in a lower tax band and hence save money :D

I guess the hidden bit is the energy recouperation which takes some load off the alternator etc. It'll be interesting to see if I notice any difference. Hopefully it will cover some of the difference that adding quattro will make.

It sounds like no ones got an issue with the Start Stop which is good. When I posted this thread I was wondering if I'd just get people saying that it's hateful and a pain in the butt but it seems it's been implemented well enough for people not to moan .... so far.

Mine should be built next week so only about 5 weeks until I can post my own thoughts in this thread

:beerchug:

Jop
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Having driven the car all weekend, i have to say im impressed with start -stop.

its pretty seamless and the engine starts real quick at just the tiniest tap on the clutch.
its not dependent on the handbrake being on, nor does it include hold assist, ie. it wont put the handbrake on for you.

ScottyUK
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
That's interesting! I thought you had to be parked with the handbrake on.

If you're just stopped and holding it on the brake then I can see it kicking in more often are being more useful in saving fuel.

Great to hear the positive news :D

Jop
09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
That's interesting! I thought you had to be parked with the handbrake on.

If you're just stopped and holding it on the brake then I can see it kicking in more often are being more useful in saving fuel.

Great to hear the positive news :D

Typically if im just stopped and holding it on the brake then im usually in gear with dipped clutch anyway, so the engine wont doesn't cut off.

juniperz
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I was in a really stupid traffic jam yesterday (that's the last time I go to Bristol Balloon Fiesta, but we had visiting relatives with us, or I would have just gone home) and managed 10 miles in 2 hours. Stop / Start must have happened dozens of times, sometimes when AirCon was on, sometimes with lights on. Touch the clutch, into 1st, pull away from hand-brake automatically disengaging - no drama. 25mpg for the trip :( but I guess it could have been worse... Annoying because mpg since I filled the tank 350 miles ago had been 55. Afterwards it had dropped to 51.

ScottyUK
10-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I guess it's not the fact the AC was on but whether the compressor was actually needed to run at that point :confused:

Did it cause any issues turning off or was it all fine?

I don't know about these engines and I'm sure Audi know more but it used to be to start a car you needed more juice than to leave it running for a few secs. I guess that was back in the days or carbs.

I guess you can be happy that without Start Stop it would have been even worse mgp!

juniperz
10-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I guess it's not the fact the AC was on but whether the compressor was actually needed to run at that point :confused:

Did it cause any issues turning off or was it all fine?

I guess you can be happy that without Start Stop it would have been even worse mgp!
Yes, I think it is a question of whether the cabin temperature has risen significantly above the desired temperature that you have selected. The day after I got the car (4/7) we had warm weather (!) and the engine would restart after a couple of minutes, which is a bit disconcerting at first.

There were no obvious issues, though it does make you wonder whether you are reducing the lifespan of the starter motor. I assume these German engineers know what they are doing...

Since that journey has knackered any attempts at a record for mpg on a tank, I am now just using the performance instead :biglaugh: I think 1800 miles counts as run-in.

ScottyUK
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm a firm believe in running cars in (tyres, brakes etc) but I thought diesels needed to be used hard straigh off :confused:

Any way I guess it doesn't matter as if it rattles you won't be able to tell the difference!! :D

I'll not have the car longer than 5 years so I won't worry about the starter motor ;)

juniperz
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Any way I guess it doesn't matter as if it rattles you won't be able to tell the difference!! :D

Ooohh - that's below the belt! The CR isn't that bad ;)

smellster
10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Ooohh - that's below the belt! The CR isn't that bad ;)

............... and the V6 3.0tdi sounds even better! :D

juniperz
10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
............... and the V6 3.0tdi sounds even better! :D
Absolutely agree. Now without self-imposed fiscal constraints, it would be a different story...
But then again, I am new to the brand, and this motor isn't exactly slumming it :o
(Though I would have liked leather, elec memory seats, fancy suspension, those LED DRLs...)