PDA

View Full Version : Please Help SD card, KISS and a challenge

appin
16-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Folks

My husband brought me a new A4 sedan. Its a lovely car and I think its better than his BMW; well it at least looks nicer. Anyhow, he nor I have been able to master the SD card. This is even after trying to follow the car's instruction manual. Incidentally, my local Sydney dealer has been less than helpful too.

We have a new SanDisk 2GB SD card and our PC has Windows XP/ Media Player (hope this makes sense to you). Wondering whether someone could provide a step by step guide as to how to download music onto the SD card so that it would work in the car.

Not being technical minded, would appreciate the KISS principle (keep it simple silly) for this challenge.

Thanks a million.

Amanda

:1zhelp:

mkc
16-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Do you need instructions on how to take a CD and convert it into mp3 at this point aswell? Which version of Windows Media player do you have?

appin
16-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank-you for your quick response. I only found this site this afternoon.

Yes please. I don't known which Windows Media Player we have. It came installed in the PC with Windows XP Professional.

Cheers

Amanda

mkc
16-07-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/rip_how_to.aspx

have a look at that, let me know how you get on and then we can move to the SD card

73kingstonroad
16-07-2009, 06:26 PM
I would say iTunes would be more easy to use for a cd in to mp3 on your SD card.
But that's me a Maccafan.

Martin

appin
16-07-2009, 11:46 PM
Hi MKC

I have downloaded Windows Media Player 11 and succesfully copied 2 CDs.

Hope the next step is just as easy. I am looking forward to playing the SD card in my new car so that I can show-off to Ian (husband) as his car is limited to just 6 CD stacker.

Cheers

Amanda

mkc
17-07-2009, 08:02 AM
OK. There are a number of ways to do the next steps, but lets try this.

Pop the SD card into the SD slot on your PC.
Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to where your music is now stored. Normally c:\documents and settings\yourname\my music

In here should be the two albums you have copied. Click into the part of the window where your music is stored. Edit-->Select all (they should all not be highlighted) Then Edit-->Copy

Back on the left hand side of the window locate your SD card drive, possibly E or F I expect. Highlight it so the right side of the windows is blank, click into that area and then Edit-->paste.

This should copy the music to the SD card. Let me know how you get on. Im at work so sorry if the instructions are a bit all over the place but they should make sense.

Jop
17-07-2009, 08:43 AM
just a small typo, but its a potential game changer:

....... Click into the part of the window where your music is stored. Edit-->Select all (they should all not be highlighted) Then Edit-->Copy.......
This should read: (they should all now be highlighted)

mkc
17-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah that wont help! Well spotted. Told you I was busy!

appin
18-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi MKC

Not much success. Whilst I have been able to copy the 2 albums onto the SD card, when inserted into the car player, received the message ' no playable tracks found'. At least this was one step further.

Not sure whether this means anything. Prior to the message, the car screen did scroll through all of the tracks and then, a padlock symbol appeared against each track.

If you think I am a 'loss case' , I understand.

Cheers

Amanda

MalcQV
18-07-2009, 06:35 PM
I thought there was a snog in it for me :p

I just load a plastic box with tape in it into the slot in the dash :D

A lie, like your husband I use six silver plastic discs inserted into a box in the boot.

I think from your last post your CD's are not in mp3 format (possibly WMA Window Media Audio format). You need to make sure they are converted.

pauldoherty
19-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Just my tuppence worth!!

?The padlocks you see mean that, while copying the tracks, your PC has put a license on them so that they will not play on any other PC (or SD reader). This is a pain - do you know how to download music? (of course you would already have the original for copyright issues!!) this way, they can be simply copied to the SD card and will play...

Don't know if this helps

MFGF
21-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi,

This sounds like a problem with the way the tracks have been copied from your CDs into Windows Media player. You might want to do the following to make sure you are using a format your Audi can understand:

1. Launch Windows Media Player.
2. On the toolbar at the top of the player, hold your mouse just below the word "Rip" and click on the down-pointing arrow that appears.
3. From the dropdown menu that appears, select "More Options".
4. In the Options window that appears, make sure that the "Rip Music" tab is selected, then click on the dropdown arrow next to the Format field (which probably displays "Windows Media Audio" at present). From the list of formats, select "mp3", then click OK at the bottom of the Options window.

Having done this, you will need to re-import your albums into Windows Media Player and then re-copy the tracks to your SD card. Let us know if you need further instructions on how to do this.

Regards,

MF.

appin
22-07-2009, 11:22 AM
It worked!

Thank-you MF and MKC.

The challenge is not only over, but with the help of this forum was able to get one over Ian. You see the most he can play in his BMW is 6 CDs, while one SD 2GB can hold 15+ CDs.

Cheers

Amanda

rich164h
29-07-2009, 07:40 PM
nothing to see here.......

xileh
31-07-2009, 01:40 AM
The card is formated in FAT and not NTFS?