PDA

View Full Version : Question ok guys need advice

jase-p
15-07-2009, 10:30 PM
ok chaps i'm new here,

i have been offerd 2 cars which i both like very much,

1. is vw bora v5 t reg 92k lowerd on 18 with a quad exit system....

2. is audi a4 1.8t sport 150k lowerd on 18 full bodykit no history and unsure of cambelt change...

now what i'm after is the known common faults and which would you choose, why??????????

regards jase :1zhelp::1zhelp:

Ben
15-07-2009, 11:22 PM
may need more information like engine code and pictures. Both the respective sections on here will hold your answers.

Really, you need to do some reading.

e_greenwood
16-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Vw Bora

Insurance Group 16
Fuel Consumption (Combined) 29.7 mpg
0-62mph 9.1 seconds
Top Speed 134 mph
Engine Power 150 bhp
Engine Torque 151 lbs/ft

Audi A4
Insurance Group 15A
Fuel Consumption (Combined) 34 mpg
0-62mph 8.9 seconds
Top Speed 138 mph
Engine Power 150 bhp

I know which one id be buying

clive30v
16-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Wernt the V5 engines 170bhp??

e_greenwood
16-07-2009, 12:52 PM
So says autotrader but i would not trust that site 100%

mrgasoil
16-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Wernt the V5 engines 170bhp??

If they are like the Seat Toledo's the early ones where 150bhp...... the later ones where 170bhp.

dieseljames
16-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't go for either as I don't like modified cars (well I do but I always assume that they have been thrashed)

Out of your two examples it would be the Audi for me. 1.8t is a good engine and there is plenty of upgrades available if you wanted (chipping gives better returns than a v5) I'm not confident about the 150k and lack of service history though.

I think you aught to shop around and test several cars out - that way you will know if that Audi or VW feels right.

SEMKY
16-07-2009, 08:02 PM
To be honest, they both sound like a potential financial headache to me...

Only my opinion of course.

Agreed with above though...the 1.8T is a good engine and very tunable.;)

ImCammers
18-07-2009, 04:55 PM
ok chaps i'm new here,

i have been offerd 2 cars which i both like very much,

1. is vw bora v5 t reg 92k lowerd on 18 with a quad exit system....

2. is audi a4 1.8t sport 150k lowerd on 18 full bodykit no history and unsure of cambelt change...

now what i'm after is the known common faults and which would you choose, why??????????

regards jase :1zhelp::1zhelp:

Audi, Been Lowered? Body Kit? I often see muppets (also known as chavs) racing around with wheely bins stuck to there cars...Although this person owned an Audi, so hes an Upmarket Chav :P. The Mileage could be abit high, but on the other hand it could be mostly A Road/B Road/Motorway Miles but without any sort of history, it would really put me off the car.

As for the VW, the fact its lowered, kinda worries me, theres only one main reason you lower a car, and thats for better handeling? More to the point why is he lowering a road car? to race more then likely. Admittely both these cars are nice, but you dont wanna buy a dog! because it'll put you off either the make, or model of the car for life.

As Semky rightfully said, these cars sound like a big headache.

Eshrules
18-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Audi, Been Lowered? Body Kit? I often see muppets (also known as chavs) racing around with wheely bins stuck to there cars...Although this person owned an Audi, so hes an Upmarket Chav :P. The Mileage could be abit high, but on the other hand it could be mostly A Road/B Road/Motorway Miles but without any sort of history, it would really put me off the car.

As for the VW, the fact its lowered, kinda worries me, theres only one main reason you lower a car, and thats for better handeling? More to the point why is he lowering a road car? to race more then likely. Admittely both these cars are nice, but you dont wanna buy a dog! because it'll put you off either the make, or model of the car for life.

As Semky rightfully said, these cars sound like a big headache.

I'll agree with the body kit, in part (RS/Sline have OEM kits, I consider these to be perfectly acceptable).

The point about lowering, however, is a bit of a generalisation isn't it? Lowering isn't necessarily about the handling, although it tends to have a positive effect, it is often done to improve the overall cosmetics of the car, usually with the fitment of different wheels to standard.

That said, both of these cars sound like trouble to me, a 'quad exit' exhaust system, at least fitted to that car, is so chav I nearly choked. It's also got nearly 100k on the clock, I'm not sure of the intervals on the timing chain, but I'd hazard a guess at it being due fairly soon? = £££

The A4 has 150k, without history. /End

MalcQV
18-07-2009, 06:22 PM
The Audi purely because the A4 looks far better IMHO.

ImCammers
18-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I'll agree with the body kit, in part (RS/Sline have OEM kits, I consider these to be perfectly acceptable).

The point about lowering, however, is a bit of a generalisation isn't it? Lowering isn't necessarily about the handling, although it tends to have a positive effect, it is often done to improve the overall cosmetics of the car, usually with the fitment of different wheels to standard.

That said, both of these cars sound like trouble to me, a 'quad exit' exhaust system, at least fitted to that car, is so chav I nearly choked. It's also got nearly 100k on the clock, I'm not sure of the intervals on the timing chain, but I'd hazard a guess at it being due fairly soon? = £££

The A4 has 150k, without history. /End

Thats is definitly a fair point Esh about the lowering of the car, if your looking at these cars on a very 'stereotypical' basis (which you shouldn't always do).

Suppose the best way would be to go see the cars, see who owns them? What type of person they come across as, i know people shouldn't but we ALL make assumptions about people through there car.

If the cars clean throughout = the car was well looked after by this person
If the cars dirty throughout = the car wasn't well looked after, and more abused.

If we see a Daewoo Matiz straddling the outside lane on the M25, we all make assumptions!

(i use the term 'straddling' very loosly, since after all its a Daewoo) (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=3014)