PDA

View Full Version : Engine Whining

nigzy
10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

I've had my 2002 1.8T since November and I've had the standard fault of the pollen filter seal leaking and corroding the electrics and so on. I've managed to sort this with the help of you guys on the forum, thanks!

I've had the cambelt and auxilliary belts and tensioners changed (75000 miles) last week but on Sunday I noticed a whining noise coming from the front of the engine, it does it constantly but is more noticable when you accelerate. It hasn't made any difference to the acceleration or fuel consumption.

It has also been leaking oil, from the rear of the engine for a couple of months, but I've been checking the oil level daily and it's not dropping noticably.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the noise or if the two problems are linked? Or should I just take it back to the garage?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Neil.

nigzy
11-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Just an update, the problem is solved, a bearing has gone in one of the auxilliary belt tensioners, I was the third person in yesterday with that problem, fixed at no cost!

tea drinker
01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
nice, how come they replaced it at no cost?????

topgazza
01-05-2007, 05:19 PM
I was going to suggest leaving the wife at home and see if the whining stopped...but I won't...

Interested as well why they did it for free...known faulty component ?

nigzy
02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
they replaced it for free because it was a faulty component, luckily!