PDA

View Full Version : Losing Power at 80-90mph!!!

kab
09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm hoping someone can shed light on a curiously (potentially dangerous) problem I have with my golf. Its a 54 plate 1.4 fsi that loses power and jolts when I am driving at speed on the motorway. VW don't seem to be able to figure out what is going on and I'm no vehicle expert. It can drop in speed by about 5mph and seems to drag when I try to maintain my speed. Not a good thing when you are in the outside lane. I've tried using the 97 grade fuel but it makes no difference. Anyone had a similar problem that can help??? Thanks:1zhelp:

amz
09-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey Kab. If it's a 54 plate, you should still have until September 2007 to have the car checked under it's 3year warranty period. Sounds like a dangerous issue, for which you have a right to have it checked out.

Are you only having problems whilst travelling in speeds of over 80-90mph (be it speeding!), or are you also facing similar loss in power problems in other gears/speeds?

Eshrules
09-04-2007, 11:53 PM
ok, after a little research and understanding the difference between the FSI and the TSI....

you have a 1.4 FSI, ok... now, the highest BHP 1.4 FSI only pushes 88bhp, with a top speed of 110mph....

first thing to bear in mind, it may take a while to get to the top speed.

the symptoms you describe though, it certainly shouldnt be doing what you say it is. when you say it drops it speed, how exactly does this happen? are you requesting full throttle at the time?

also, it is only just 3 years old... get the car back to the dealer and request they investigate the fault, assuming you still have the supplier warranty, they will have to honour their obligation.:beerchug:

kab
12-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have the car back to the vw dealer 3 times now!!! They've kept it for a week at a time and they have even used the car in their own time to try and see what the problem is but to no avail. I was told they will have to wait for the car to break down so they can find what the problem is!!!!!!!

Anyway, The max. speed I do is 90mph, average 80-90. When it happens I'm usually travelling at a constant speed and not trying to accelerate, although it has happened when I'm accelerating, but certainly not at full throttle. The car has done it at as low as 60mph and it just jolts, then feels as if it's dragging and I have to put my foot down to try and regain the revs.

I've also not found that it's happening in lower gears. My brother has been in the car with me this week when it has done this and seems to think it's the computer??? It's just a mystery!!!!!!

blownafuse
24-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi Kab,
I'm in the same situation as you. I have an 04 plate 1.6 fsi SE and it's experiencing the exactly the same problems that you stated allbeit at a constant speed between 70-80mph instead. I've only had it a couple of months and its back at the dealer for a third time. The first time they couldn't find a problem, the second they changed the ECU software and third... who knows!! I'll be calling them tomorrow, so if I get another "fix" I'll post it to let you know what they say.

Depending on tomorrows outcome, I'm getting to the point of asking for my money back or at least requesting a new car!!! As this isn't the only thing to go wrong.... So far in three months it's had.... a new radiator, the aircon fixed (twice), 4 new tyres (as the ones on it when I bought were ALL mishapen - thus creating a loud humming noise when driving at 40+mph), new wiper blades all around, brake fluid change, plus all the problems with the engine losing power!

kab
27-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Well it sounds like you bought my car!!! Problems with mine when I bought it were needed 3 new tyres, new cd player, re-fixing of the rear view mirror, hole in the radiator, the engine light came on within a week and it had about 7 faults....i could go on. You must let me know how you go on at the garage. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of writing to vw. I'm still in warranty and I'm being told that there's nothing wrong with my car, when there clearly is. I had it serviced the other day and the first time I took the car on the motorway after the service it jolted as I was accelerating to get speed up and was only at 45mph. That's the slowest it's even done this. Keep me posted.

blownafuse
28-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Just had a call from the dealer and they believe they have found the fault. They have replaced the fuel injection pump but want to keep the car for a couple more days in order to fully check this has fixed the problem.

Will keep you posted.....!

Eshrules
28-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Just had a call from the dealer and they believe they have found the fault. They have replaced the fuel injection pump but want to keep the car for a couple more days in order to fully check this has fixed the problem.

Will keep you posted.....!

let us know how you get on.... also, i hope you recorded your mileage before your sent the car in... i have had several instances of cars being used as courtesy cars when they are in for repairs... not very common with main dealers, but doesn't hurt to be cautious ;)